Question about function of push/pull button in 1980 Hunter 33 head

Jun 30, 2019
Hunter 33 (Cherubini) Poughkeepsie
I purchased an 1980 Hunter 33 in what I think is pretty good condition despite being on jacks for a few years. I am enjoying the small amount of work it has required to make it a more pleasant sailing experience. But I have one embarrassing question I'd like to run by you more experienced Hunter Cherubini owners: There is an electric push/pull button switch in the head, on the panel above the sink, beside the A/C outlet. The prior owner never knew what this did (despite sailing it for many many years). It seems to send two red wires over to the engine/battery compartment but I can't easily trace them further. Does anybody have an idea what this might be for? It worries me to have an electrical switch whose function I don't know....

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
It could be for a shower sump pump. My previous boat had one but it wasn't a Hunter 33.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It could be a shower sump pump, but based on the location I'm guessing that a previous toilet--maybe the veryfirst one--was a VacuFlush. If so, it's what's called a "night switch" that turns power to the vacuum pump off and on without having to do it at the breaker. Why? Because the vacuum pump only runs to re-establish vacuum after a flush...and depending upon where it's installed--often under a berth--it's noisy enough to wake the dead! With the power to the pump cut off, the toilet can be flushed once more without disturbing anyone's sleep.

--Peggie

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Have that boat also. Shower sump pump. That sump and pump is under the batteries. Suggest changing to a lighted switch so you do not leave it on by accident.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Ditto the previous replies on shower sump pump. I had such a "mystery switch" on my Tartan, even though the sump pump can be set to "auto" at the panel. The push/pull manually energizes the sump pump.

Jun 30, 2019
Hunter 33 (Cherubini) Poughkeepsie
Many thanks to all of you for your answers on this. It was indeed the shower sump pump. It had a blown fuse and hence
my inability to see any effect when I pulled the switch.