Question about 146..kicker w/o vang ??

Mar 21, 2018
hunter 146 Keuka Lake NY/ Jersey Shore
Just bought a 146 a week ago. Previous owner installed boom kicker, and removed the vang. Claims he always sails that way and modern sail practice eliminates the need for a vang claims he also sails his 30fter "loose footed". Well it's been a few years (20) since I last sailed, but I thought the vang was important to eliminate sail twist? This kicker mounts to the mast and has a webbing cradle for the boom, which to my mind would lift the boom but not keep it down to avoid sail twist and wind spilling out. Any ideas??

Pat

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
You can have both, the BoomKicker replaces the topping lift in most cases.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
If the boomkicker keeps the boom at a specific height then you dont need a vang. I have tbe exact same set up as you but with a vang and topping lift.

I use the vang for keeping tbe leach under control but also its job is to keep the boom from going up. It takes the strain off the mainsheet. Use the mainsheet to control the boom swinging port and starboard, vang for up and down. Obviously, the forces overlap.

How do you control the up/down with the boom kicker?

Mar 21, 2018
Thanks Dave thats what I thought ( I always see the two combined)...but won't it reduce performance to go with out the vang? Should I go get one since he tossed his original vang?

Mar 21, 2018
Bobby there is no way to control the up...only the down with this boom kicker as its not mounted to the boom, only rests on a webbing cradle.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Bobby there is no way to control the up...only the down with this boom kicker as its not mounted to the boom, only rests on a webbing cradle.
You don't need the vang with the mainsheet close to the center as it does keep the boom from getting out of control, but once the boom leaves the centerline the mainsheet is less effective for boom height control. Without a vang you don't know if the mainsheet is pulling the boom to centerline or tensioning the leech or both and how much of each.

Mar 21, 2018
Thanks Bobby:thumbup: I think I will be adding a vang back to her rigging.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
set it up the way you like to sail not the way the other guy did. He probably sold the vang or took it with him...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Use the small Vang. Boom kicker too much for a small daysailor and is a lot easier to handle when setting up. Will discuss with you. Looking at photos today for several

Mar 21, 2018
Yeah I ordered one from the site...and I 'll be adding one back to her rigging.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@KeukaSailer

Sent you a private message about drying the boat out.
Contrary to some advice,, the small vang is the way to go with this daysailor. easier to take off leaving on the boom as long as it is shackled vs. any boom kicker which is over kill with the boat. Also takes more time to dismantle the mast and think of doing that after a leisure sail on a hot hot day. In addition the boom will ride up high distorting the mainsail allowing it spill the wind off the mainsail.

As for the topping lift, let me suggest the following block
Ronstan V-Jam Cleaat (Series 29).jpg
It is a Ronstan V-Jam cleat block Series 29.
I use to attach this little handy block with a twist shackle I think on the end of the boom and letting the topping go thru it exiting out onto the V jam in the back. Not only did it hold the boom up but you could adjust the height of the boom with the topping lift too. I did put a quick stop knot in it to keep the boom from dropping all the way down accidentally and my customers loved. Talk about this the next time we do talk sir.

Crazy Dave