PVC board used on the head walls on my Catalina 30 MKIII

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Beach Haven
PVC used on the walls in the head on my Catalina 30 MKIII

Due to some deck leaks I had to cover the walls in the head. I saw a Lynn Morse yacht at the Annapolis sailboat boat show (attached pic)that used PVC panels on some ceilings and the forward bulkhead that looked impressive. I found similar inexpensive PVC board in Home Depot along with PVC molding. Since I had to cover the walls anyway, it was an opportunity to hide all the unsightly hardware on the bulkhead by using furring strips under the PVC board using Goop adhesive (similar to silicon adhesive). All moldings are PVC from Home depot and are very easy to work with. They cut easily, are flexible and can be rounded off.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Never seen the PVC panels up here in any of the big box stores but veeeeeeeeeeeery nautical.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Very nice, reminds me of what we called "beadboard" below chair rails in dining rooms and "studies."

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Are you positive that the bead board that you installed is all plastic or PVC? Because the type they commonly sell at big box stores is a melamine covered particle board. If there is any MDF particle board in that paneling, you can be assured that it will warp when exposed to the marine environment. But at least you only used silicone to attach it, if it fails. When remodeling in a boat, its usually best to stick with what the manufactures of boats use, as fiberglass, Starbrite & or real teak on marine grade plywood are the materials that really last. But I hope it holds up for you.

Sep 25, 2008
When you cut through it is all pvc completely through. If it has problems down the road, I can replace the entire head for $50. Then when each panel is removed it becomes the template for the new panel. I could redo the entire head this way in a few hours. Since I used Goop adhesive (labeled for marine use), as a glue, it never hardens completely and its easy to remove the panels, however it is a very good bond. The best thing about this material is you can cut through with box cutters very easily and the edges can be rounded off with a file.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Can I get more info on the product?

pmirenda. I have been wanting to do something similar in my H34 to replace the carpet on the walls. Can you provide some more detailed info on the product that you used? What is the thickness? Does it have a specific name that I can use to find it at Home Depot? Thanks

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
Hey, The reason I responded is not to "rain on anyone's parade" but because I used a very similar looking product from Home Depot in our lower bathroom in our house. Unless they just started selling all PVC plastic bead board, that would be new. Because what we used was melamine on the outer surface & it had a press board MDF type core. It also cost a lot more then $50 bucks to install. But I guess you would need so little of it to cover the head of the C-30. Didn't know that Goop glue was approved for marine use! LOL.

Sep 25, 2008
Goop marine adhesive is what I used. It forms a very good bond but you can cut the PVC away if there is a reason to do so with a box cutter. No need to overthink this stuff. We not going to the moon, just fixing walls in a boat. Of course my boats do take a beating so we see how it holds up.

Sep 25, 2008
Re: Can I get more info on the product?

Ill stop by Home depot and see if I can get a pic of the package. It comes in a package with three boards 8 ft by maybe 18 inches for around $24 dollars. It has two sides, one has a smaller pattern and the backside a wider pattern. There are some moldings that are on a foam board. You don't want that. Make sure it is pvc on both sides and it durable.

Sep 25, 2008
Sorry I thought you were a friend of mine giving me a hard time. My bad!

Sep 25, 2008
Re: Can I get more info on the product?

Here is one more tip. If you are using this on the walls you can put a radiant barrier behind the panels for extra insulation. You can buy this from Innovative Insulations in Texas. This is the material they use in space suits. I used this in my boat every where I could between the outside hull and the interior. It is very much " like aluminum foil) but has incredible insulation values but very thin so it is great for boats.

Sep 25, 2008
Hey, The reason I responded is not to "rain on anyone's parade" but because I used a very similar looking product from Home Depot in our lower bathroom in our house. Unless they just started selling all PVC plastic bead board, that would be new. Because what we used was melamine on the outer surface & it had a press board MDF type core. It also cost a lot more then $50 bucks to install. But I guess you would need so little of it to cover the head of the C-30. Didn't know that Goop glue was approved for marine use! LOL.
Goop comes in a marine version available in Lowes or Home Depot.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
Your bead board job in the head does look good. So how has it held up for you?
Also did you install that new countertop, or was that already there? It also looks good.

Sep 25, 2008
Your bead board job in the head does look good. So how has it held up for you?
Also did you install that new countertop, or was that already there? It also looks good.

Sep 25, 2008
The walls are holding up great. The counter top is standard on the MKIII.

I also did the backsplash in the galley myself using tiles form Home Depot. I extended the wood high enough for the tile. That is also holding up well.

Sep 25, 2008
It works great. I use "Goop" flexible glue. It holds perfectly but it never fully hardens so you can remove the panels easily if needed. The PVC is impervious to moisture, will not mildew and is easy to clean.