Purchasing Tohatsu sailpro for H23

tdboss

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 23 Longboat Key
I have an unmodified H23 and I am looking to replace the two stroke on it. It looks like the Tohatsu Sailpro is the way to go, but they have a 20" and 25" shaft. From what I have been picking up in the archives is that I should consider reinforcing the transom and perhaps changing out the original motor mount with the Garlick adjustable bracket. I am not sure if I have found the right combination of owners that has done this modification for the H23. I am assuming the 20" length may be sufficient with the Garlick mount, so I can get the Tohatsu out of the water at my saltwater dock. Also, is there enough space to raise the motor at the dock completely out of the water or do I need the spacer that is apparently available through the store.
So in summary....What parts do I need on an H23
1) to keep the prop in the water of a 20" or 25" sailpro with reasonable waves,
2) have the motor reasonably out of the way of the rudder
3) keep the motor out of the water at the dock, and
4) not hurt myself bending over to maintain and remove the motor.
Thanks in advance.....Terry

tdboss

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 23 Longboat Key
Thanks for replying "The Rabbit". I do not know if Hunter was consistent about the placement of their motor mount between models for the transom heights.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
My experience was that you can never get that propeller too deep. When you are motoring against a strong headwind, which causes steep waves right on the nose, the motor mounted off the transom will be going up and down a whole lot. When the prop comes out of the water you lose way, the engine screams and its pretty unnerving.
We once tried for 2 days in a row in our old Clipper Marine 23 to get from Antioch to Mare Island on the Sacramento River and never made it. Had a 10 HP Honda with a long shaft that had plenty of excess power in flat water.
I would go for the greater capability at the outset.

tdboss

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 23 Longboat Key
I suppose I could buy the 25" version and then buy parts to modify the mount if the stock mount does not work.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Once the mount is in the upright position and the motor has been swung up the difference between the short and long shaft will be minimal. I think you should assume that the mount itself will not provide enough travel to get the bottom of the motor out of the water. My Honda B 100 weighed about 75 pounds. I attached a small block to the mount to make pulling it up easier - it halved the load and allowed you to be upright in the cockpit rather than bent over the transom.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I'd go for the 25 inch. What HP and weight is that motor? My 8hp is about 80 lbs and I do have an older swing up mount. I would add one. I dont think you need to reinforce the transom itself but you will probably have to drill new holes and seal the old ones. You will want robust backing plates. Mine was done with 2 by 4 wood, which seems to work fine. Assume motor is on port side, if so easy to access inside of transom. I don't think you can position it anywhere (except not on the transom at all ) where the rudder cannot touch the prop. I added curved stainless guards designed to help with thrust, using them purely to ensure prop cannot touch rudder.