Purchasing a 35.5, what should I pay close attention to?

Mutany

Aug 20, 2018
Catalina C30 MKI San Diego
I'm in the process of purchasing a 35.5. We're doing sea trials and an inspection with haul out next week.

Is there anything I should pay close attention to, or have the surveyor look close at?

Mutany

Aug 20, 2018
Also, I'm new here. I posted in 'big boats' because I saw other 35.5 posts. Is this the right forum?

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
This is the correct forum for your boat issues. Welcome. What year of boat are you considering? Tell us more about the boat and your experience, others will share relevant items.

Mutany

Aug 20, 2018
We put an offer in on a 1993 35.5 Legend. It was in the best condition of anything in our budget, not to mention my wife likes the cabin better than the Catalinas we were looking at. I was split right down the middle because of the large cockpit in the C36, but ultimately price and condition made the choice easy enough.

It's a documented vessel and I'm going in 1/2 with a family member. We'll be using it for bay and coastal cruising. Perhaps a trip up the coast from San Diego and over to Catalina or the Channel Islands once or twice a year. Due to time constraints, I'd imagine most use will be enjoying boat life at the dock, and day cruises.

I crewed a Cal 29 for beer can races... 25ish ago! Besides that, my only experience is renting 22 - 25' harbor sailboats. I love sailing, but I have a lot to learn when it comes to sailboats.

I have much more experience on the water in general as I've been through a couple fishing boats and kept a pilot house in SD Bay for several years. I'd take it out up to 70 miles offshore during tuna season.

Was glad to find a Hunter specific forum as I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I update the electronics. Currently it has an Autohelm AP and an ancient GPS. I'll be really curious to get a setup like I had on my old boat (Furuno TZTouch with Radar) without having to worry about electricity.... oh yeah, and without spending $20k. :D

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
Welcome to the Hunter club. We have a 1993 35.5, so my experiences may be pertinent. Here are some areas the we encountered and you may want to look into.
The original waste tanks on these boats are aluminum with a useful life of about 10 years. If yours hasn't yet been replaced, do it ASAP. Not a big project, but it will involve cutting through the wall behind the aft cabin. I've heard from other Hunter owners that they weren't always consistent about when things were installed, so yours may be in a different location.
My fuel tank is under the swim step, between the two aft lockers. Mine is plastic, but I've heard that some people have aluminum fuel tanks as well with the same issues.
We have a small water leak coming into our aft cabin that I haven't been able to locate. I talked to another 35.5 owner last month and he said that he had the same problem. It was caused by water dripping down the backstays and into the hull where they attach to the stern. He sealed his with 5200 (Oh no!) and hasn't had a leak since. I will use butyl tape on mine before the rains return.
The jib furler is located below the foredeck where it's subject to salt spray and humidity and doesn't get cleaned very well. Some people have relocated the furler above the deck, but I didn't think there was enough room to clear the anchor locker door so I replaced mine below the deck and vowed to keep it clean and dry.
I haven't had very many other issues with my boat. It's fast and comfortable to sail. I will be happy to answer any specific questions you have about this boat. -Tom

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
I don't have the 35.5, but a 1992 33.5. Check the water tank as well. Our tank was aluminum and sprung a leak sometime this year or last. Not sure when because the bulkheads held the leaking water captive until they rotted and then we started noticing clean water in the bilge. The old 50 gallon tank, in the vee berth, had to be cut out and we replaced it with a 36 gallon PE tank from Trionics. I say we, but we paid a guy to do it because with the repair work to the bulkheads, it was beyond what I wanted to take on for myself.

I wouldn't call it a deal breaker by any means, but something to note.

I'm replacing the original aluminum holding tank this fall myself. Yes, a 26 year old aluminum holding tank still in operation.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
I have a 1990.

Ditto on the holding tank, I replace my aluminum tank with poly along with all the hoses. It's not small job by any means but straight forward. There is lots of information on the forum about doing it if you search.

Check and make sure your dinette table moves up and down. Mine had corrosion and is stuck in the up position. You should have a cushion that fits over the table when it is in the down position.

Check the windows for leaks, the boat is starting to age and they like to leak, I have replaced all my windows and hatches with new glass and seals.

It's not a new boat so just expect to need to start replacing odds and ends over time.. hot water heaters, battery chargers, seacocks/through hulls (due to age and corrosion) etc.. that kind of stuff.

Unless it has been updated all your lights will be incandescent, it's nice to have LED.

Ask how old the Standing Rigging is (ask for proof/reciepts). If it is in need of replacement it can be quite expensive and something you may not want to do yourself. Anything over 10-15 years old should be considered needing replacement and close to end of life. Get a quote to put that in your budget.

Old sails, still work and are ok, but can be out of shape and not give you the best sailing experience especially if you have any kind of furler on the mainsail.

Things that get neglected in engine compartment and too look for: Heat exchanger, thermostat, hoses, throttle cable, shifting cable and motor mounts. Find out when the last time the motor mounts were replaced. If it has a dripless shaft seal how old is it. (should be replace every 6 years). The 3GM is a great motor if taken care of.

Make sure your drive wheel doesn't have excess corrosion. Corrosion can build up due to where it is, especially around the drive stops. The drive cables should be checked as well.

How old are the Batteries?

Any leaks in or around the cockpit will show up in the plywood wall in the aft berthing and or the plywood shelves in the at lockers.

Not to scare you but things to look at and consider that may need attention if/when you take delivery.
Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. I have had mine for over 2 years and there is not much of the boat I haven't touched to repair or upgrade.

Good luck and hope it goes well if you purchase. It's a great boat, fast, and easy to sail. I have thoroughly enjoyed mine.

Steve

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter 1990 Hunter 35.5 Toronto
I have the same boat Steve except unfortunately my waste tank is located where your fuel tank is
I changed out the waste but couldn’t get a larger one through the swim platform, going to Siamese another tank with two 3 ways.
Got new Sails had a jumper strut built and installed. They are an excellent boat. We entered the Lake Ontario 300 this year and won. This boat flies and is really easy to handle.
Shawanaga is our old boat Relentless is the 35.5 have to change that soon :)

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
Check the bulk heads in the two lockers off the swim platform, they have n limber holes for drainage and were rotted out on our 1992 when we bought her, the same held true for the bulkhead in the aft cabin, it was hidden behind a thick piece of teak in our model and the surveyor didn't find it, we did when subsequently changing our the other two aft bulkheads in the stern lockers and needed access through the aft cabin to due the work. I have pictures of the remodel if your interested. We basically rebuilt or upgrade the rest of the boat over a four year span only to loose her in year five to a hurricane. PM me if you have other questions.

Mutany

Aug 20, 2018
Wow, I wasn't expecting all this. It's exactly what I need to know... also a sobering reminder of what's involved with owning a boat. I'm not that experienced in working on them myself, but I've taken notes and will make sure the surveyor doesn't miss any of this. Thank you!

.. and sorry for the loss MetricMountie, what a heart breaker.

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
I would love to see the pictures of the bulkhead replacement. Just purchased a 1991 this summer and this is on my list of tasks.

ELMAX

Jan 23, 2013
Hunter 35.5 Greece
We took our hunter in 2012. After it had been abandoned. Three years to repair everything that has already been written, with more modifications, new sails, propeller autoprop. I can not wish for a better boat for my Mediterranean tour. it's fast, for two people a lot of space. some features you can see in our videos, in Italian, but you are interested in the boat and perhaps the places. I hope Google has translated well. Best wishes and happy new year to all hunter owners.
https://youtu.be/P7Q9i4_c9Iw