purchase a Hunter 216?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCL

Apr 4, 2011
in the market daysailer Lake Norman, NC
I'm looking to purchase a sailboat that I can trailer easily but is stable and large enough (especially the cockpit) to be comfortable for 4 adults and 2 children. I had a capri 14.2 in the past and know I want something larger. The 216 looks really good for this purpose, but I'm concerned about the reports and pictures of the cracking due to the hull manufacturing process.

Should the 216 be eliminated from consideration based on these issues? Other models i'm considering are the early H19, the H18.5 and oday mariner 2+2. I'm open to other models, but these seems to be available and fair representation of what I think I want.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Everyone is probably scared to comment. But, I have seen cracking in those boats that have that construction method. I also saw a 216 with a Hobie float atop the mast. Does that mean it is tender? J Boats first had their JY line of daysailors built by the same method and they had terrible cracking problems. I believe they sold it off to Hunter who expanded on the designs. The whole concept was neat, but the cracks did appear. I know of one 216 in our area that was so bad that they had the whole deck replaced. So.......

DCL

Apr 4, 2011
not a fair question

Thanks for the response. I guess it is not really a fair question; I'm new to the forum and looking to learn from the experience of the group. I found the design of the 216 very appealing, but don't want to jump into a huge problem of cracking based on the cases that have been seen by many. All boat have maintence requirements, but I'm not looking for extra projects.

Right now the new H22 is beyond my budget so I guess I'll have to find another model.

May 11, 2004
RAPTOR Hotfoot 20 Ghost Lake
There was a couple of 216's at our marina with real bad cracks. I've been told they were written off.
I sailed a 18.5 for 4 years and thought it was great. If you find one in good condition that meets your budget I think you wil like it. Don't have any experience with the other boats you mentioned.

May 6, 2004
Hunter 31 Morehead City, NC
Not a pervasive problem

While there are certainly some problems with this construction, I don't thing it is pervasive. I have a 2005 H216 with no such problems. Never heard of a float on the mast of an H216. One reason I like the boat is the lead keel provides stability. I think any small boat will be tender. One benefit of the H216 is the very large, open cockpit. Lots of room to move around. It's a great day sailer.

DCL

Apr 4, 2011
Same thoughts on design

The characteristics you describe are the same one I like for this boat.

Sep 1, 2007
Hunter 216 Deltaville, VA
We have had a 2004 216 for 4 years. It is a tender boat especially in choppy conditions. But I would recommend her for folks looking for a daysailer or looking for a challenging boat to race with a high excitement factor and steep learning curve.

The plastic cracks in colder climates when water is able to get into an seam/hole and expand with below freezing conditions. I have noticed hairline cracks near the chain plates but was able to stop and easily repair them. These were unrelated to weather and just natural age. The acp plastic is on the outside with a foam core and an inner fiberglass shell.

The new hunter 22 is a better design and now fully fiberglass vs acp (essentially plastic). This adds a few hundred lbs of displacement which I would personally like.

We started daysailing and have since begun racing with a 198 phrf rating. The sail area to displacement ratio with main/jib is around the mid 30s. With main and spinnaker it is around the 50s. She is "easy" to sail, but challenging to sail well. As you can tell with those ratios the 216 has a lot of sail in proportion. This is what adds to the challenge.

She is is also very beamy in relation to other boats in her size. Which is nice for cockpit room, but not great on the performance aspect b/c she really needs to be kept pretty flat upwind to point well.

The vara rudder is ok. Gotta make sure the bearings are delran otherwise the helm sticks. The swing keel design is also ok. The hydraulic that raises the keel is very powerful. People over tension and it pulls the blots out of the keel. The keel cable also comes off. We added a piece of plastic in front of the pulley guide to prevent this. The keel also swings in rougher conditions. Door stops help.

We have customized heavily, replaced the vang, added spinnaker package, new sails, electric, vberth, lighting, radio,traveler, lighter higher tech sheets, mast wedge, and added a keel gasket. The mast is relatively easy to step. The shrouds are easy to tension and tune. She is light on the trailer.

Had we not started racing we would've probably never made 3/4 of the mods we have made. From a family daysailer perspective you can't ask for anything easier. If you want to cruise or go longer distances this not the boat. If you want to quickly go for a sail without the hassle then this is the right boat. If you want to go for mr toads wild ride in heavy conditions then this is the right boat. If you want to play it calm then take her out in 5-10 kts and save the 10-15+ kts as you gain experience.

Hope this helps.

Aug 16, 2009
Catalina 28 mk2 Toronto
We bought our 2008 H216 in July 2009. So far, I would say the experience has been consistent with Paul's. Lots of fun to sail, especially in a bit of wind (with enough weight in the crew!) I have certainly worried about cracking over the past 2 winters, but here in Toronto, they've been pretty mild compared to Ottawa or Wisconsin (where the ugly crack pix have originated)

If you do not live somewhere which gets to -30C (say -23 F) then my sense is the cracking issue may not be such a worry.

I checked out the new H22 at the Boat Show in January, and, though I like the fiberglass construction, standard jib fairlead rails and windows in the cubby, I do not like the new rudder placement.

Good luck!
Jamie

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I had a 99' Hunter 170 that lived in Virginia it's entire life, never saw lower than maybe +15 F and it grew cracks regularly. It wasn't very hard to repair but not a boat that will last many years if left outdoors. The ACP product just won't last for decades like fiberglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.