Pumping water out of the ballast

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
I have only launched my water ballasted 23.5 twice. I don't remember the difference in the water line from when I launched and after the ballast tank filled. The reason I ask is that I have been scrubbing the bottom of my boat from the slip, hoping to slow the time which I need to have the bottom cleaned next. Was thinking about getting an electric water pump and emptying the ballast first. Thinking I might be able to reach more of the bottom. Also, wondering if pulling it up onto the trailer when I do retrieve might be easier if the ballast were only partially full. Remember it was a battle getting the boat all the way up the trailer. Do you guys with the ballasted boats ever pump out the water from the ballast when on the water?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't.... I would have to cut an access hole and add a pump. But I don't really see the need. Wouldn't a brush on a longer pole for scrubbing be easier than adding a pump?

Aug 31, 2013
Hunter 26 Saylorville-Des Moines
I doubt that removing ballast (and the ~6" ?? of draft) will help a lot with cleaning. However, I have heard of some people using very low pressure blowers to pressurize and empty some of the ballast to make it easier to load on the trailer. It wouldn't take much pressure , and you certainly don't want much as it's not designed for that. I don't do that, but some others will probably chime in.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
SKFELD;
If you are having trouble with launch and retrieval, I wrote the book on this and if you want me to help you with that, I will. I am not sure about the ramp status as to elevation, length, overhead wiring/trees, sand/rock/debri on the ramp, vehicle and so on as I cannot assume until I have a better understanding. A long discussion is in order. Feel free to privately email me.

You could put a hose permitting thru the hole for air to enter or escape the ballast tank adjacent to the wing nut attached to a water pump and pump it out that way but suggest an additional battery or a plug in of some type. I would not pressurize in any way that tank or you could possibly break the seal of the tank attached to the hull as I have repaired a few in my day from those doing it.

As for finding the waterline, let the boat sit long enough to form a scum line on the hull and then mark that scum line. Suggest if leaving in the water a long time, bottom painting and I would ask a local yard the best anti fouling paint to use for your area and stick with that as some will work better in various locations in the country.
Dave Condon alias crazy dave

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Yeah, I wasn't planning on installing a pump into the boat. Thought I could just slip a small hose in through the top of the tank and pump it out with a small 110v portable. But if it's only 6" of waterline change, not worth it for cleaning.

As for retrieving. Now Dave, is this book you've written about ballast Hunters in general or specifically about retrieving boats on a ramp? I would love to buy a book about Hunters. My retrieving issue was only the process I used to seat the boat onto the trailer. Seemed I could only get the boat about 3/4 onto the trailer at the ramp. Then I pulled the trailer out far enough to drain the ballast, then backed it back in and pulled the boat the rest of the way up. It worked, but seemed like a great deal of stress for the trailer and car pulling it out of the water with a full ballast. Thought with maybe half the ballast, I might be able to float it all the way up the trailer.

Finally, I did paint the bottom last year. But the SF Bay grows stuff fast. Went out with my family last month and made pretty much made a fool of myself getting back into my slip because that boat just wouldn't turn. Had a diver clean it a week later and he said that was a 6' plume of growth that I was towing around. He said it was like dragging a 200lb wet carpet under the boat!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
We need to talk sir. I am sending you a private message with phone number. I introduced the water ballast boats and taught all my customers my way how to do things based on what to do and not to do from knowledge and experience.

I wish I had a photo of the growth but it could be the bottom paint not working in your area or whatever.
look for a private message

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
You could put a hose permitting thru the hole for air to enter or escape the ballast tank adjacent to the wing nut attached to a water pump and pump it out that way but suggest an additional battery or a plug in of some type
Thank you again sir. I was considering this very thing before dragging her back onto the bunks. We are in a cove and our ramp is very shallow. I was concerned enough about launching, let alone recovering her with a full belly!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
One thing to mention here folks, ramp siturations are different and with knowledge of what I am working with here such as length, elevation, overhead wires and so on, I can advise a lot easier. I will tell you if any ramp is shallow then you will have to extend the tongue and go out a little further.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Not a good idea of pumping ballast while afloat,boat will be top heavy very unbalanced,When I retrieve boat I pull on trailer just enough to empty ballast tank,close valve,back trailer and pull boat on trailer,never had problem getting it to snug up to bumper.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I find upgrading my winch helps no matter what type of boat and also attached the slick slides on my trailer bunks so she slides instead of dragging on the rough carpeted bunk boards.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When I am willing to give some help to others and they do not respond, I am unable to pass along my knowledge and experience. So when I open up to help others, at least let me know if you are not interested as I will not monitor that post.

As for a winch not pulling a boat onto the trailer, it means that trailer is not all the way into the water. Some folks think that your back tires touching the water is bad. Not really. It is only when the muffler is emersed and you need to keep that engine running to insure water will not come up the tailpipe into the engine. In addition, the hubs do not need to be hitting the water as water of any kind is not going to hurt rubber. if into salt or brackish water and metal touches to include the trailer, suggest rinsing off with fresh water.

Remember folks, do not try to pull with brute force on the winch or in some cases I had to repair bows as the bow eye was ripped off the bow. If you can get the boat onto the trailer then bump the boat up forward with the braking techinique so many know and can help here.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Remember folks, do not try to pull with brute force
Dave - I think lots of owners do what I do, they research their problem here before they post (or just after, once you steer them in the right direction). But you can find your influence when they begin to answer posts. They sound just like you.

I was wondering if you would ever recommend rollers in conjunction with, or in lieu of, carpeted bunks? I'm re-doing the bunk carpets with Overton's 16-oz carpet, after I first seal the lumber with some deck stain (to avoid soaking up rain water). Your accounts of bunk lumber failure (and that recent post showing hull distortion) really got my attention.

So I think you should publish a (another?) book on caring for the older, small Hunter sailboats, like, "Hunter Sailboats, 25 Years Later..." You could just hire someone to just organize your replies from this forum. You might not get super rich right away, but if you keep these boats going, you'll have a small income stream for the NEXT 20 years - ha!

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
I was wondering if you would ever recommend rollers in conjunction with, or in lieu of, carpeted bunks? I'm re-doing the bunk carpets with Overton's 16-oz carpet, after I first seal the lumber with some deck stain (to avoid soaking up rain water). Your accounts of bunk lumber failure (and that recent post showing hull distortion) really got my attention.
I my self would not use rollers, I'am working on my bunks as we speak, I pulled the od boards off and they are screwed down with torks head bolts, and they are a pain to get un done.
The old boards have been on the trailer since '93 when it was build and the wood was all soft and rotted.
Went to the hardware store picked up 2 lengths of 2x6x12 pressure treated boards and installed them, then at home depot I got outdoor carpet that was on the huge rolls and they are 12' wide which was $28.00.
I could buy bunk carpet at our local boat place they wanted $37.99 for 1 roll that would cover only 1 bunk.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You can use rollers but then there are issues associated with that. Easier to get on but you better make darn sure the boat is secure to the trailer with double rear straps one of which is coming forward to help keep that boat from backing easily. The other is when you release the winch and you better not be on a steep grade ramp or the boat will take off and that winch handle could hit your hand with such force causing injury. There are pads which you can attach to the bunk boards with or without carpet on I think made of delrin.or some type of plastic material. It can be researched on this forum.
There are some folks which go half cocked and damage their boats and usually regret it. However, you do not realize how much time per day I answer emails and talk to people. If asked for help and I respond but with no response back, it means wasted time that can be devoted to others. Sometimes talking helps some vs. writing and this forum is helping one antoher. As for writing a book, I have arthritis and sometimes my hands hurt. I will never write a book. I am on a limited means as I closed my business due to bank fraud but when I proved that, it was time to close business and walk away paying everyone without a retirement package. I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing. Therefore, I will not be hiring plus I have other things that need to be done like working on the huge slope behind the house stabilizing that embankment on my mountain.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Friend of mine alas a {powerboater]puts Dawn dishsoap on his bunks before retrieving says really helps,boat slides with no friction

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
why?

I put a few cups of bleach in mine and it works fine. I've heard of people using pool shock treatment also.