Pulling Rudder 97 40.5

Mar 16, 2015
none none n/a
Hey people. I've found a good deal on a 40.5 with a few problems I'm willing to take on. One of them is the rudder needs repair/replacing. I talked with Hunter USA and they can build it and ship it to the boats location cheaper than I could get someone to repair it (I'm no expert with fiberglass).

My question is can the rudder be changed without hauling the boat or is it a haul only job?

May be a dumb question but planning a head ya know.

Thanks

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I imagine that you can do almost anything given enough people, skill, the right tools and luck. I can say that the rudder shaft tube extends above the waterline, so you shouldn't take on water if the rudder is pulled.
However, I would not try this trick. I think there are just too many things that could go wrong. I think the easiest way would be to prep the rudder to be removed while at a slip and then have the boat lifted by a travel lift, and while in the lift swap the rudder.
How does Hunter tell you to do the job? They should be the experts.

Mar 16, 2015
none none n/a
I imagine that you can do almost anything given enough people, skill, the right tools and luck. I can say that the rudder shaft tube extends above the waterline, so you shouldn't take on water if the rudder is pulled.
However, I would not try this trick. I think there are just too many things that could go wrong. I think the easiest way would be to prep the rudder to be removed while at a slip and then have the boat lifted by a travel lift, and while in the lift swap the rudder.
How does Hunter tell you to do the job? They should be the experts.
That's pretty much the way I looked at it. Promised someone I would ask online and ask Hunter (haven't been able to ask them as of yet but will on Tuesday).

Thanks

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I removed my rudder while the boat was on the hard. (Not a Hunter 40.5) Three things that stick in my mind that would prevent me from making the change while the boat is in the water.

1. The rudder and rudder post are pretty long. You must have enough water depth in order for the top of the rudder post to clear the bottom of the hull. On my boat I needed 36" below the bottom of the rudder (in its normal position) in order to be able to remove it.

2. The rudder is heavy and difficult to hold because of its size and shape. There are no good hand holds and you'll need two people to lift it back up into the hull . It will be very difficult to get the post back into the boat because the rudder bearings have very close tolerances. Trying to do this while the boat is bobbing around and you're in the water maneuvering a rudder that weighs 100+ pounds isn't easy. It can be difficult while on the hard too.

3. Most rudder posts on large boats are tubes, not solid like on some smaller boats. When you install the rudder while it's in the water, the rudder post can fill up with water and will saturate the foam core within your rudder. You must seal all openings in the post while not adding to the diameter of the post as you won't be able to get it through the bearings if you do.

Good luck with your new boat.

Mar 16, 2015
none none n/a
Ted,

Excellent detailed reply! Thanks for the well thought out details. Will forward both these replies to the person in question :)

Curtis

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I pulled the rudder on mine both on the hard and in the water while on a mooring. I can say without a doubt it was a lot easier in the water with dive gear on. Reason...the rudder floats. In fact, I had to tie two anchors onto it to help me pull it down out of the shaft. On the hard, it was very heavy and difficult to deal with.

Also want to add that my boat had a heavy helm. In otherwords, it was hard on the steering gear, autopilot and helmsman when healed over 20 degrees. That meant it was not balanced correctly. I added 2 inches on the leading edge and it is now perfectly balanced so at 8 knots, 20 degrees heal and 8 degrees weather helm I have no pressure on the helm...light as a feather. It dropped my amp usage of my autopilot from 3-4 amps an hour to 1-2 amps an hour. So think about that before you have a new one made. Do you want it lighter?

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Please tell us about your experience. My experience was great in the water.

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
A second for the 'in water' change. I had a diver put mine in while in the water. Though my part was super easy, it seemed that his was not horrible. As stated above the rudder was nearly buoyancy neutral. It took him 30 seconds and the post came up through the tube. No danger of water intrusion as the tube comes above the water line. I did it while having the bottom cleaned so it only cost a very few extra dollars.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Since there seems to be pros and cons to in water removal, I thought I'd offer a couple of suggestions.
1. Arrange for a time when the marina travel lift is not booked for a couple of hours. Pay them to "Stand By". just in case.
2. Buy a couple of toilet wax rings at the Home Despot or Lowes. Mold them into a ball just slightly bigger than the inside diameter of the rudder tube with an embedded center string for easy removal. Have it at the ready inside the hull, at the tube, just in case.