Pulling hurth transmission

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Check my post Jim! Call Federal transmission... maybe they can help you. At the least if they can do it you're assured it will be a quality rebuild.

Nov 27, 2010
hunter 36 Portland
I found a ZF-6 at Trans Atlantic Diesel 800 927-9295 for $1600. Dropped it in and didn't like the rattle, so I ordered a new damper plate. The old one looks fine for being 12 years old but the it only saw 533 hours. The new one vibrates alot at 2400 rpm and the transmission is too hot to touch for long but not scalding. Alighment seemed ok but I'll try realigning. The motor always rattled but I'm more demanding now.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Jim:
FWIW, I spent HOURS (literally!) getting the new engine mounts adjusted so the shaft is aligned properly. Not familiar with your Hunter 36, but from conversing with my mates at our marina, shaft alignment is extremely critical-especially if you have intermediate bearing support or an external strut. Our Morgan 28 is relatively simple in that she only has a 40" prop shaft and no intermediate bearing supports other than the cutlass bearing, but still we found a huge difference in alignment with only 1/2 turn on the mount nuts.
We'll be splashing the Merry Bee in a week or so and I plan on rechecking the shaft alignment at that time.

Nov 27, 2010
hunter 36 Portland
Just to follow up on this thread. I have about 190 hour on the ZF-6.
Crossed to the Bahamas and back under power without issue.
Still have my fingers crossed. ;)