Puget Sound Sailors: What hard bottom paint works good?

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Been using Pettit Trinidad SR for many years but times (laws) have changed. What bottom paint are you using and is it doing what you want?

Looking for recommendations as to what hard non-sloughing paint to get for multi-year use. Currently the boat is dived on three times per year but will probably have to go to four time per year, that's my guess.

Lots of rave advertising out there on the new paints but field experience is important. Comparisons with Trinidad SR would be super helpful.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I’ve got Sea Hawk Sharkskin on my C36 in Everett so lots of time I’m brackish water. I have a diver 3-4 times a year - still in great shape after 2 1/2 years.

Les

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I didn't use BIOCOP with the Sharkskin - BIOCOP was the product with the problems.....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My bottom paint is about a year old. It is Pettit Trinidad. First time usage. According to the diver I use 2-3 time a year, it is holding up nicely.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi John, two plus coats of WM brand ablative, on sale, every seven years, a diver once each spring. Very pleased with the results. Diver scrapes mussels off the keel, maybe a barnacle or two from the bright work, and installs zincs. Cruise year around. When we return from our frequent outings, hull is clear of stuff.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 1998
I’ve got Sea Hawk Sharkskin on my C36 in Everett so lots of time I’m brackish water. I have a diver 3-4 times a year - still in great shape after 2 1/2 years.
Les - Sea Hawk was one of the paints I was wondering about because it's seems to be prominently promoted here.

Dave - I'll check out the links.
John - Ummm ... haven't been looking at paints until now so didn't know Trinidad was still an option. Copper is really expensive so I thought about exploring what works good with the newer formulations. My old-time diver retired from diving and the new guys are almost 100% more expensive. Maybe I should try a post about divers? After all, the boat can be moved to where they are.

Terry - using the boat certainly helps to keep stuff off. The past few years, though, it's been one thing or the other and haven't been out that much. Last year was the horrible summer with all the forest fire smoke. This year the plan is to get a lot of early usage so if forest fires take off again at least we don't feel like we lost a season. With regard to stuffing paint, though, that is what the boat had when it was new and, have to say, didn't turn out well. Wiping the crud off also wiped the pant off leaving the barrier coat and tenacious growth so switched over to a hard paint. I'll keep your comment in mind but I tell ya, it's going to be a hard sell to go back. Had to do a haulout in a year then wound up having to remove all the sloughing paint to put the hard stuff on. But we'll see. The new regulations might cause me to change. The paint is expensive but the haulout and all the work is a lot more expensive. Did I read (understand) that right, one haulout every seven years? If so, that's awesome.
Thanks for the input.

Oct 22, 2014
John
I felt like we lost the season last year as well. Smoke is worst than fog. You can always try our Winter Sailing. Granted it was a bit Extreme this year. Nothing ventured...

We have a diver in Everett that is a buck a foot. Plus to do your Zincs. I like the guy and he does a good job.

Jul 1, 1998
Dang, that's really good. Sure beats the guys who have been doing our bottom. Willing to take the boat over there and give them a try. How can I contact him/them?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Did I read (understand) that right, one haulout every seven years?
Yup. Bought the boat in 2002, redid the bottom in 2004, again in 2011 and again last year. Most of the growth comes from mussels forming on the flat bottom of the bulb keel. Those scrape off pretty easy each spring by the diver. The rest is the fuzzy green stuff that sloughs off each time we cruise. I slather on a heavy coat of zinc oxide (diaper rash lotion) on the bright work below the waterline, which works for a few seasons. First three to four years after we redo the bottom, mussels seem to grow back more each year, five through seven. Again, those scrape off easily. Also the paint is getting pretty thin in places by that time. The PO used a number of hard blue paint layers that has stuck well over the years. I've used black paint each time so that I can tell when it is time to redo.

Jul 1, 1998
jssailem - thanks for the diver info. Talked to him and I'll give him a try. Zinc install is a tad more than what I've been accustomed to but that is made up for with the hull cleaning.
Terry - sure sounds intriguing and will take some more looking into because once putting sloughing paint on it's difficult to switch back to hard. Will definitely be asking around, though.

Every so often one hears about the ultrasonic transducers (or whatever they're called) as a means to combat growth but the press on them seems to come and go, but not much lately.

Oct 22, 2014
John sounds like a miracle product. Cures the pain of bottom fouling. Almost like snake oil.