Registered users don't see ads

Puddle in the quarterberth - arrrghh!

Discussion in 'Ask A Catalina Owner' started by LuckyDuck, Mar 31, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck

Joined Jan 24, 2018
    9 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 25
    Lucky Duck US Whiskeytown Lake
    This is our first Northern California winter with our 1987 C25 WK so I wasn’t sure what to expect in possible leaks. Through plenty of storms, she has stayed dry from bow to companionway inside. But a small puddle of water (couple of ounces) that pools in the aft quarter berth is driving me nuts. I can find no leaks on any hull fittings, chainplates, winches etc. I’ve spread chalk inside the hull and it stays bone dry. I’ve caulked the scuppers. Checked the dumpster (port locker) and it is dry. After the last storm I noticed the underside bottom of the cockpit, inside the boat, had a thin coating of water, kinda like you’d see on the inside of a single-pane house window. Is it possible my few ounces of water could be dripping from condensation? Has anyone had a similar issue? Many thanks in advance.
    3F710698-5394-4B8D-A5AD-DC1F01BAE765.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. Apex

Apex

Joined Jun 19, 2013
    753 posts, 88 likes
    Oday 28
    US Traverse City
    fir such a small amount, absolutely. is it in tye morning or evening you notice?

on my c25, it was alarming how much condensation i had after sleeping aboard. the windows and hull were dripping.

3. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck

Joined Jan 24, 2018
    9 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 25
    No particular time, that I can pinpoint. Just there when I check the boat after a good rain.

4. Alansails

Alansails

Joined Oct 3, 2011
    567 posts, 65 likes
    Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155
    US Lake Erie/Catawba Island
    We owned a Catalina 25 before our 310 and we would have some rain, if it was blowing from the right direction end up being blown into the cabin through the slits in the hatch boards.
    How is that for an answer???
    BTW they are great boats, we owned ours for 10 years and seriously sailed it!

5. dwalex

dwalex

Joined May 6, 2018
    2 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30
    Boatey Thang US Middle River, MD
    My 1980 Catalina 30 also makes such puddles. There's a ridge of fiberglass with is probably structural as well as a wire chase, running the length of the boat. I found an unintentional hole in the side of that channel, out of sight. There is also water from under the panel nearest the transom, and both seep very dark brown water that quickly dries, leaving dark brown sediment, which happily is easy to clean up. I'm thinking is some dark brown caulk, but I too have not yet found the leak. Hope someone has suggestions for us both.

6. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck

Joined Jan 24, 2018
    9 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 25
    Interesting. Is the ridge along upper side of the hull?

7. dwalex

dwalex

Joined May 6, 2018
    2 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30
    Boatey Thang US Middle River, MD
    It’s on the overhead along both sides, about 6 inches from the hull. I tried to take a pic.

Attached Files:

8. vetch

vetch

Joined Dec 3, 2011
    81 posts, 10 likes
    Catalina C27
    US Bellingham
    I get a similar thing on the glass behind the port side settee of my C27

9. Barnacle Bill

Barnacle Bill

Joined Jun 9, 2008
    1,509 posts, 36 likes
    - --
    US -Bayfield
    Anyone on board a bed wetter? Sorry, couldn't resist. Did you tighten the hose clamps on the scuppers?

10. vetch

vetch

Joined Dec 3, 2011
    81 posts, 10 likes
    Catalina C27
    US Bellingham
    I had that happen last summer took my son and his friend out for a week in the San Juans and the friend wet the bed in the v-birth...... that was a pain to clean

11. billjoye

billjoye

Joined Oct 31, 2016
    13 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 25
    5878 Frayed Knot US Charleston, SC
    I have a 89' WK with the same problem. During a heavy thunderstorm last month, I track my leak down to water thru the companionway. The water runs down the track on which the crib boards rest to the threshold. From there it wicks up under the threshold up hill and over the lip, into the cabin along the side and down to the aft berth. It was truly amazing to watch. I fixed the problem by pulling the threshold, and butyl tape along the very upper lip, so that any water that gets under the threshold will drain down into the cockpit and not wick up and over the lip into the cabin.

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.