Puddle in the quarterberth - arrrghh!

Jan 24, 2018
Catalina 25 Whiskeytown Lake
This is our first Northern California winter with our 1987 C25 WK so I wasn’t sure what to expect in possible leaks. Through plenty of storms, she has stayed dry from bow to companionway inside. But a small puddle of water (couple of ounces) that pools in the aft quarter berth is driving me nuts. I can find no leaks on any hull fittings, chainplates, winches etc. I’ve spread chalk inside the hull and it stays bone dry. I’ve caulked the scuppers. Checked the dumpster (port locker) and it is dry. After the last storm I noticed the underside bottom of the cockpit, inside the boat, had a thin coating of water, kinda like you’d see on the inside of a single-pane house window. Is it possible my few ounces of water could be dripping from condensation? Has anyone had a similar issue? Many thanks in advance.
3F710698-5394-4B8D-A5AD-DC1F01BAE765.jpeg

Last edited:

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
fir such a small amount, absolutely. is it in tye morning or evening you notice?

on my c25, it was alarming how much condensation i had after sleeping aboard. the windows and hull were dripping.

Jan 24, 2018
fir such a small amount, absolutely. is it in tye morning or evening you notice?

on my c25, it was alarming how much condensation i had after sleeping aboard. the windows and hull were dripping.
No particular time, that I can pinpoint. Just there when I check the boat after a good rain.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We owned a Catalina 25 before our 310 and we would have some rain, if it was blowing from the right direction end up being blown into the cabin through the slits in the hatch boards.
How is that for an answer???
BTW they are great boats, we owned ours for 10 years and seriously sailed it!

dwalex

May 6, 2018
Catalina 30 Middle River, MD
My 1980 Catalina 30 also makes such puddles. There's a ridge of fiberglass with is probably structural as well as a wire chase, running the length of the boat. I found an unintentional hole in the side of that channel, out of sight. There is also water from under the panel nearest the transom, and both seep very dark brown water that quickly dries, leaving dark brown sediment, which happily is easy to clean up. I'm thinking is some dark brown caulk, but I too have not yet found the leak. Hope someone has suggestions for us both.

Jan 24, 2018
My 1980 Catalina 30 also makes such puddles. There's a ridge of fiberglass with is probably structural as well as a wire chase, running the length of the boat. I found an unintentional hole in the side of that channel, out of sight. There is also water from under the panel nearest the transom, and both seep very dark brown water that quickly dries, leaving dark brown sediment, which happily is easy to clean up. I'm thinking is some dark brown caulk, but I too have not yet found the leak. Hope someone has suggestions for us both.
Interesting. Is the ridge along upper side of the hull?

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I get a similar thing on the glass behind the port side settee of my C27

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Anyone on board a bed wetter? Sorry, couldn't resist. Did you tighten the hose clamps on the scuppers?

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
Anyone on board a bed wetter? Sorry, couldn't resist. Did you tighten the hose clamps on the scuppers?
I had that happen last summer took my son and his friend out for a week in the San Juans and the friend wet the bed in the v-birth...... that was a pain to clean