Pros N Cons Cat 27 Inboard vs Outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I do know today's lubricants are significantly better than they were "back in the day". My 50's era outboard motors were designed to be mixed 24:1 with 30WT automotive oil. Today we use TCW3 as a better lower-carbon-fouling substitute, (still 24:1, I don't like rebuilding power heads and oils is relatively cheap). Many LU lubes are now synthetic, and are certainly multi-season. I would suspect that a 2008 Honda probably has synthetic in it. just a hunch, I have not searched it yet.

I have to consider your comment in context. Your example points to a season of heavy use. My little vintage runabout's '57 Johnson got drained and refilled every year, because I used it a lot. I mean like every weekend for several years until I finally put it in the shop and covered it up. On that point, you and I are on the totally same page.

For context, I am 30, so this was 15-20 years ago. Not so long ago that the oils have changed too much. I do remember about the time when TCW3 hit the market, My Dad saw a significant reduction in burned pistons in engines!

Considering the light duty asked of an outboard sailboat auxiliary though, I have no problem at all recommending that LU lube can go two or more seasons, assuming the motor has not been punished, there is no excess of wear metal, and the lube is dry and the same color as when it was first put in. If it has browned or darkened appreciably, as that is a visual clue that there is a need to change it.
I don't disagree with you, but that is for a truly light duty use. Many people think they are light duty because the boat isn't moving fast, but they really are not. If you often run the engine for more than an hour at a time, or at 50% or more throttle, that isn't light duty.

Many lake sailors probably are actually light duty, but anyone on a river or bigger water probably does not fit that definition. So in the interest of being safe, and not having anyone mis-understand what light duty is, I'm going to stick to my reccomendation that people change their oil annually, unless you know and understand what is going on, to get away with changing it less often.

caguy said:
Do you have a brand of oil you recommend?
This is what I use. I'm sure other products work well, but this has worked well for my Dad, myself, and also another guy I know who does entine repair for a living, and have never seen a reason to look for something else.

Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube

Full disclosure, I do sometimes skip changing it for the same exact reason you do, but that's because I know when the oil is still close enough to new to get away with it without any risk to the engine.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Full disclosure, I do sometimes skip changing it for the same exact reason you do, but that's because I know when the oil is still close enough to new to get away with it without any risk to the engine.

:D

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
Here is a question for owners of inboard engines.

Yesterday I finally met the owner of a beautiful sailboat that I have seen in the marina. It is a pristine 1985 non-Catalina 28 footer with an inboard engine. I gushed with compliments about how nice it looks, every bit of rigging and deck still looking like new. He offered to show me below, and of course I jumped at the chance. Leaving my shoes on the dock, I climbed aboard.

The first thing I noticed was how clean and pristine it was below, just like topside. Very little clutter. Everything in near-new condition.

Unfortunately, the second thing I noticed was the diesel odor. There are two solar powered vents in each hatch continually venting the interior. I struggled to remember the last time I was on sailboat with an inboard engine where I could not detect fuel odors in the interior.

• Do all boats with inboard engines have fuel odors?
  • Is it a function of boat manufacturer?
  • Is it a function of age, say of boats > 10 years?
  • Is it a function of fuel, where diesels are more "aromatic" than gasoline engines?
  • Am I just overly acclimated to zero-aroma interiors? (I have an outboard)

Just curious, since some day I hope to graduate from a Catalina 27 to a larger boat.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
  • Is it a function of fuel, where diesels are more "aromatic" than gasoline engines?

Just curious, since some day I hope to graduate from a Catalina 27 to a larger boat.
Not all diesel inboards will smell like diesel, but except for the ones with really good maintenance, and really clean engine rooms, the majority will eventually have a slight odor.

I'm certain Main Sail's boat has zero diesel smell, and the first hint of one would result in an immediate repair to correct whatever was the source of the offending odor. Not everyone can/will be that diligent though.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI

Yesterday I finally met the owner of a beautiful sailboat that I have seen in the marina. It is a pristine 1985 non-Catalina 28 footer with an inboard engine. I gushed with compliments about how nice it looks, every bit of rigging and deck still looking like new. He offered to show me below, and of course I jumped at the chance. Leaving my shoes on the dock, I climbed aboard.

The first thing I noticed was how clean and pristine it was below, just like topside. Very little clutter. Everything in near-new condition.

Unfortunately, the second thing I noticed was the diesel odor. There are two solar powered vents in each hatch continually venting the interior. I struggled to remember the last time I was on sailboat with an inboard engine where I could not detect fuel odors in the interior.

First, if he is venting the cabin more than the engine compartment, he is likely sucking engine air into the cabin. The engine must have good and proper venting.

But that is mostly to keep it cool. The engine is in good condition will not smell for fuel or oil. Over time, maybe oil leaks, weakening seals, loose hose clamps, etc will contribute. The 15 year old Volvo in our 260 does not emit any odors, even with the compartment open.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
There should not be any odor

________
I have owned an inboard aux. diesel sailboat since '94, and have crewed on deliveries of quite a few diesel boats since '80.
Almost none (!) of them had any diesel odor. Having said that, if your boat ever suffers a diesel fuel spillage or a leak, it will take some dilligent cleaning to get rid of it. But there's basically no Magic to it. Keep your fuel systems up to date with new hoses and fittings every 15 or 20 years. It's not NASA-engineer grade expertise.... :)

There will always be owners with boats that, when you roll back the hatch, reveal ordors combining diesel, sewage, and several species of mold......... :(
As long as they're happy, fine, just do not crew with them.

:eek:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Either he had a leak or has a leak and hasn't fixed it. Diesel engines should NOT smell of diesel or anything else. Whether you're Maine Sail, me or anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.