Proper line sizes and types of lines for Hunter 340

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter -340 Milwaukee, Wi.
I am replacing my boom vang line on the Hunter 340. What size and type of line should I get? Is there a good chart of all the lines for the hunter 340 that someone may have?

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter -340 Milwaukee, Wi.
Here is a picture of the boat. You may have to zoom in to get a good view of the boom vang. I would bet the line is 3/8", but 5/16" with something like Endura Braid may be better. I am open to your or anyone's opinion.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
With that many reeves, 5/16" should be plenty for strength. Larger diameters might be easier on the hands. Dave's recommendation of XLS sounds good to me.

I find it useful to put sturdy snap hooks at both ends of the vang (unless you are rigging the boat for minimum weight for racing). That way, I can easily attach it other places & use the rig as a make shift crane for loading the boat, mounting an engine on the tender, stepping the mast, etc. I have also seen some people attach the bottom of the vang to a chain plate & use it as a preventer, when going down wind in puffy conditions.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I replaced the vang line on my 2000 H340 a few year ago. I used the line specified in the owner's manual: 31’ of 3/8" StaSet.