Proper "Gunkholing" Protocols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
What is the proper protocol when cruising? Can I find a nice harbor and drop anchor for the night, even if it's in somebody's ocean view? Is that rude? I don't know how this works. Suppose there's a mooring field. Can I pick a spot on the edge and stay the night? We'd like to spend a week or so sailing down east this year but I'm not sure what is proper.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
if it's in somebody's ocean view? Is that rude?
Not as rude as their building a house there:)

Anchoring in mooring fields is forbidden in some places and risky because moorings are sometimes abandoned and, if your anchor hooks on the chain of one.... In many harbors you can anchor just outside the mooring though and it's often the only choice if there are no rental moorings.

If there are a lot of boats in a harbor and a nice clear spot, there is probably a ledge under it.

A cruising guide is indispensable.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
My preference is to be far from the madding crowd. Another boat within a hundred yards is too many boats.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
It also depends on the local laws. Some states have more draconian riparian rights laws for landowners. However, in most navigable waters, if you're anchored at least 100' from shore, you are probably okay to anchor there for the night.

Many communities are trying to pass laws limiting the amount of time you can be anchored in a given location. However, most of these laws have been overturned on appeal or challenge, most notably in Florida.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The Coast Guard has designated certain areas as "Special Anchorages" and they are marked on charts. They may be overcrowded or not in the most desirable location but you are allowed to anchor there. Local governments can restrict the length of stay etc.
Local government entities who have coast areas often have a Harbormaster who enforces local restrictions for anchoring and other activities. They are usually available via VHF radio.
If you wanted to anchor somewhere that isn't against the law and there happens to be a house there I would try to keep a reasonable distance away for privacy. A general rule is that a homeowners rapian rights go to the high tide mark. There is no right to a view unimpeded by an anchored boat. I've heard of cases of property owners trying to enforce a restriction on how close boats can anchor based on swimmer's safety but I'm not sure how that turned out.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
You can anchor in areas that are not designated "Special Anchorages". However, when anchoring outside of designated "Special Anchorages", you are required to hoist the anchoring ball during the daytime and show an anchor light at night. Doing both of these is probably prudent when anchored in a designated "Special Anchorage", but not required by law IIRC.

The Coast Guard has designated certain areas as "Special Anchorages" and they are marked on charts. They may be overcrowded or not in the most desirable location but you are allowed to anchor there. Local governments can restrict the length of stay etc.
Local government entities who have coast areas often have a Harbormaster who enforces local restrictions for anchoring and other activities. They are usually available via VHF radio.
If you wanted to anchor somewhere that isn't against the law and there happens to be a house there I would try to keep a reasonable distance away for privacy. A general rule is that a homeowners rapian rights go to the high tide mark. There is no right to a view unimpeded by an anchored boat. I've heard of cases of property owners trying to enforce a restriction on how close boats can anchor based on swimmer's safety but I'm not sure how that turned out.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Exactly. If they didn't like the sound of gulls, the look of boats, and the smell of fish...

A sailboat improves any ocean view! IMHO!

sid
... why did they buy a house on a harbor? Most are glad to see you, and the rest... they don't bite. Most don't care if you walk on the beach, down low.

Really, that would be like me complaining about the traffic on the road in front of my house... but some do. The drivers should not feel guilt over their use of the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.