Propane system safe?

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
I have a Catalina 30 TR from 1982 with Force 10 propane stove. The owner of the boat (I coop) says she smelled propane and disconnected tanks. She and I would like to get it working. I did a brief inspection and I am pretty sure it is not up to ABYC standards for safety. Wanted to get your feel and best recommendations to make it safe. The stove was "updated" from alcohol stove in 2005. I admit I am used to either kerosene, alcohol or butane portable stove. Propane grills are awesome, but in a boat I am hating the fear of explosive gas sinking into bilge. I get that they can be really safe, but I am tempted to just redo this system. Is it cost effective and what I am I looking at for cost?

The tanks are standard propane in stern lazarette with good drain. I do not see any solenoid or safety shut off at tank or in the galley near the stove. .
IMG_0232.JPG

The tanks hook directly to these 2 hoses in rear lazarette. I do not see any solenoid or shutoff within the safe locker. There is a drain in the back of lazarette that goes out just above the exhaust. There is a regulator that allows for a switch between 2 tanks that is in the starboard locker that is mounted on the top of locker.

IMG_3266.JPG

This is in the starboard locker area. This regulator is within the locker that if leaks occur will drop into the bilge area. I am not loving the set up at all. These should be inside the propane locker right?

You can see the rust from the tanks where they are lashed. If I was to have a solenoid and safety shut off at the tank, and run a straight line directly to the oven/stove, that would be safer correct?

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Looks like you have a propane cutoff solenoid on the regulator output. Yes, all this and the tanks need to be in a box with a bottom drain sloping to a through-hull above the water line.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like you have all the parts.. I agree with Gunni ..The gold cylinder in the regulator outlet is an electric solenoid shut-off valve.. All the lids and bulkheads should be sealed and any wiring and hoses should have air tight "pass through" fittings..

Apr 26, 2018
Well, looks like I'll have to relocate the valves & solenoid the rear locker. Thats more work then I want for the end of the sailing year. Maybe Ill do this as a winter project. Now on to the diesel Dickinson diesel heater. Hasn't been lit in many years.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@uralite We're going the opposite direction. We won't be cruising so don't see the need for the propane oven/stove. This winter I plan to pull the oven/stove and install a fridge in it's place. For overnight or weekend trips we plan to use the magma grill. We'll store the gas bottles in the propane tank locker.
If the grill is too inconvenient, we'll pick up a one or two burner camp stove.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here you go @Ward H $85 on Amazon.
Coleman FyreMajor 3-in-1 Propane Stove
71RouXpaXgL._SL1500_.jpg
I have one of these sitting in my cabin until I get my Force 10 up and running. Uses the same gas containers as the Magma.

Apr 26, 2018
If this boat actually belonged to me I would be removing propane and doing camp stove too. That’s what the owner does now, just seems like if you’re gonna have something, then it should work right? I like when you reply Ward, feels like we are often playing from the same sheet of music with our boats. Also, if I get the propane locker set up, I can unload at least 50 pounds of gear out of those lockers!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Personally I would convert to CNG..Propane is heavier than air and ALWAYS settles. A rail mounted propane BBQ is one thing. It only takes source of ignition and a minuscule leak to kill. The explosive force can be quite lethal. A leak with an electric solenoid that arcs is not good. CNG is lighter than air. It will rise and self evacuate. You have heard the stories of bilge explosions from gas engines that didn't vent.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
feels like we are often playing from the same sheet of music with our boats.
It does doesn't it.
Nice John. I put that stove on my Amazon shopping list.

IF I was to stay with the propane system, I would install a propane sniffer in the bilge.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I really like my propane stove/oven. I don’t cruise really, but enjoy having the stove and oven for when I do go out overnight, or just hang out at the dock and want a hot meal.
IMG_0339.jpeg
The PO used small gas bottles with an adaptor, to hook up to the propane system. I bought some small (5 lb) refillable bottles and have them in the propane locker. The hookup is a pain in the @ss, and the bottles are hard to squeeze into the locker. I just ran a bottle empty since I purchased the boat (on a 2-night Anchorage while cooking bacon on the stove). Going to redo the locker over the winter to make it easier to fit 2 bottles and add a quick disconnect pigtail (like on a new gas grill...that doesn’t need a wrench).

I have a propane grill on the rail too, and it is plumbed into my propane system.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just be careful about leaks... Always wonder if it was me cooking or the gas lines leaking when the flame goes out while cooking.