PROPANE OUTBOARD?

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi All -
Shopping to replace my 23yo 2 stroke 9.9 still and was about to pull the trigger on a
tohatsu 6hp sailpro - when I came across a tohatsu propane motor - supposedly ultra clean.

Anyone have a propane outboard out there?
Is it safe to have the tank on board (not that 3 gallons of petrol is any safer - or is it?)

thanks!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have a Lear propane outboard and I have a fiberglass and plastic propane tank. They were originally invented by Ragasco I believe and I have more than one tank before I purchased the outboard. The point is they haven't been able to get a Ragasco tank to blow up. They will melt, push out a big fire ball and burn but no explosion. I'm much happier with the propane using this tank than I was with a gas powered outboard.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
great info and thanks uncledom! Do you use it on sailboat ?
im on the fence bc i’ve heard that propane can leak and lie low on a sailboat as the gas is heavier then air supposedly.

Id luv to get away from regular gas/ethnol problems - but mostly bc it stinks - but after owning a couple electric cars that is not the way I want to go on the boat.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
we've got a Lehr propane outboard and it's great - no ethanol issues, no gas stability issues...starts all the time.
Yes, you do have to treat propane carefully - as you would with your stove, but it's much safer than gasoline on a boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This is a very interesting thread

Is propane essentially LP gas or are you actually buying propane?
And if we are talking about LP gas, how many hours can you get for a gallon of LP?

I guess I’m interested in the comparative fuel costs per mile traveled between propane and gasoline.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
This is a very interesting thread

Is propane essentially LP gas or are you actually buying propane?
And if we are talking about LP gas, how many hours can you get for a gallon of LP?

I guess I’m interested in the comparative fuel costs per mile traveled between propane and gasoline.
I believe that LP stands for Liquid Propane, so I believe that LP & propane are the same thing. Natural gas, is different & normally requires a different orifice size in most equipment that is made to use both Natural & LP gas.

You can look up the fuel consumption rates on the Lehr website. Propane works out to be a little more expensive to run compared to gas, in my experience. But when you are talking about a small outboard, the amount of fuel used is usually not that much.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
To the O.P.

My propane motor experience comes from Lehr outboards & forklift motors. The outboards work well as long as you are not in crazy cold temperatures. This is because they rely on the propane turning to a gaseous state before it reaches the mixing valve in the motor (carburetor type thing). In this case, the propane needs to "boil off" in the propane cylinder. Head space & temperature are the two key factors in making that happen. Most forklift motors don't have this problem, because they have vaporizers before the mixing valve. Most forklift motors are designed to take in the fuel as a liquid. The smaller forklifts that you see with the fuel tank standing straight up are the exception. Those little ones lack the vaporizer.

When you first fuel up a Lehr, it is best if you bleed the air out of the system before pulling the rope to start it. If you purge first, you can usually expect it to start on the first or second pull. If you don't purge, you can expect to get a sore arm.

Propane comes in 3 grades that I know of. They are 10, 5, & I. 10 is what you normally get for your gas grill. Technically, you are supposed to run grade 5 in a motor because it burns cleaner & doesn't leave plastic residue inside the motor. I've been using 10 for years with no problem. The I grade is a different story. That is intended as an industrial chemical feed stock & is likely to cause trouble in a motor.

Anytime you have propane on a boat, you are supposed to keep it out in the open or in a propane locker that vents overboard. In this way, the propane tank for your outboard is no different from the propane tank for your stove.

The composite propane tanks don't rust, but I think that they have a shorter time before they are required to be inspected, tested & marked with a certification date. The steel tanks, don't have the short test date requirement, but on a boat in salt water, they don't tend to hold up as well. Aluminum tanks are not a bad option if you can find them.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
great info and thanks uncledom! Do you use it on sailboat ?
im on the fence bc i’ve heard that propane can leak and lie low on a sailboat as the gas is heavier then air supposedly.

Id luv to get away from regular gas/ethnol problems - but mostly bc it stinks - but after owning a couple electric cars that is not the way I want to go on the boat.
I use it on my dingy but my friend uses a 9hp on his little Catalina and loves it. Yes there can be issues with propane. It is heavier than air and will sink to the lowest point of the bilge, not good. I keep the large tank I use for the outboard and my Magma grill strapped to the swim platform so that if there is a leak it goes overboard. I have two smaller metal tanks in a compartment that vents over board for the propane stove, this is how the boat came set up. I only use two fuels now instead of three since switching the dingy motor to propane. As chuckwayne mentioned it's a lot nicer never having to have carb issues that you get with gasoline engines.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I've spent considerable time at dinghy docks. It appears, from my unscientific observations, that the percentage of issues with propane outboards is higher than with gas. Not saying gas outboards are perfect and not saying propane outboards are terrible. But on a relative basis, it seems there is a higher rate of problems.

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Just have had my propane for a year now - again, aside from the availability it seems quite fine and I rather like the idea of me not filling things as I always tend to spill alittle of something or other Had to do some minor repairs and parts were not a problem I also have a Lehr 9.9 with a composite tank for my tender - works quite well

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I have a Lehr 2.5 for the dink. It works fine, minimal maintenance. I do not like the way the cowling is held on, it's cheap and breaks a lot. So I just quit clipping the cowling on.

I use the disposable 1lb bottles, same as I do for the bbq. Store them in a cockpit locker that isn't open to the bilge.

I bought my Lehr used (from a broker, they always seem to have lots of used gear that they get from somewhere). I had the diaphragm in the mixing valve rupture once - required replacing the mixing valve. Wasn't too expensive, and Lehr had the part to me in a coupla days.

Overall, I can say the little Lehr is more reliable than the comparable Merc/Tohatsu/etc motors. I've fixed mine once in 5 years, where most of my dockmates are fixing their dink motors at least yearly.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Jim brought up and important point - you should always "burp" the lehr when you first attach a tank. there's a small hole in the diaphragm that feeds the carb - you stick a pin(paperclip or similar) into it to prime the carb.
I just store my 1lb bottles in the propane locker for the stove bottle.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Gasoline fumes are heavier than air as well, no difference in the issues there.

Propane is available almost as many places as gasoline. There are fewer and fewer places it seem that will refill tanks though.

I'd be concerned about parts availability until there are more out there.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
When I went out to buy an outboard for the dink, I did some reading about what people have to do to put them into storage for the winter. I decided to buy Lehr 2.5. it is powered with 1lb bottles or a tank. I love it. After the season ends I put it into the lazerett and pull it out in the spring and it starts right up. No carb problems. This is the third year of use.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... There are fewer and fewer places it seem that will refill tanks though...
You can buy an adapter to fill the one-pounders from a larger (10-20 lb) tank. You'll probably find it in the BBQ section of hardware stores. Less than 20$

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
If you go the refill route on the 1# cylinders be prepared for their propensity to leak.

Skip the Walmart cylinders they leak right off the shelf, I've unwrapped several that were never used at all and were empty. Put the brass screw on caps and some WD-40 (or something similar) on any you store they will help with the leaking and protect the threads from damage and corrosion.

Aug 22, 2017
If you go the refill route on the 1# cylinders be prepared for their propensity to leak.

Skip the Walmart cylinders they leak right off the shelf, I've unwrapped several that were never used at all and were empty. Put the brass screw on caps and some WD-40 (or something similar) on any you store they will help with the leaking and protect the threads from damage and corrosion.
I haven't seen the brass caps. Where do you get them?