propane hose

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I bought a Tee kit years back to split off the propane tank to my bbq grill. the fitting that screws onto the bbq grill has become difficult to screw onto the grill fitting, it spews gas as I'm screwing it on. A replacement hose is over $70! At big box stores, a male to female hose is under $20 but a female to female hose is over $70. Huh? Anyone have any experience replacing a bbq hose like this at a reasonable cost?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
When this hose was new, screwing the fitting to the grill was no problem, now after some years of use it is.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
When this hose was new, screwing the fitting to the grill was no problem, now after some years of use it is.
Have you looked at the possibility that an O ring might need replacing/greasing?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Those threads are usually fine and cross thread easily. Carefully run a knife blade's sharp edge down each side of the threads and groove. Repeat this until the threads are clean and true. Lightly oil and clean off excess. If this does not fix it , it is toast! Chief

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Use the Male to female hose with an adapter. with the exception o the fitting to the tank (left hand thread) all the fittings are just normal pipe fittings.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Why is there a need to screw it on and off repeatedly? Most will keep the hose attached to a fixed grill until it wears out. Use the tank shutoff valve regularly to turn the gas off when the system is not in use. (time proven safety practice)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It has been my understanding, that when a part fails to work properly around propane, propane dealers/service personnel throw the failed part away and get a new replacement. Especially a 10 year old part. Their professional opinion is that when parts fail things blow up.

Now maybe it can be saved (mostly) but is the 10 year old part really that precious that you want to risk yourself and who ever is near you on the probability that it will continue to leak, when lit catch fire, and if really lucky explode.

Turn the tank OFF. Replace the parts that are leaking... And have a future working to raise the $50 that it cost to use the big tank.

Or return to using the $2.95 mini tanks. It is a boat. Evereything costs money.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Anyone have any experience replacing a bbq hose like this at a reasonable cost?
Yeah I get mine near free from the largest Propane distributer in my area. Bring your propane containers to fill and ask them to do it professionally.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
BTW Propane Distributors do a safety & leak check and annual inspection for my system free.
They want to continue sell you propane year after year after year.:dancing:
Jim...

PS: Web search "Propane Distribution" in you area.