Propane Gas Detector Location

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Upgrading an existing propane system to a new Trident with gas detectors and automatic solenoid shutoff. It can accommodate 3 detectors, my budget can accommodate 2 this season. The question is where to locate the 2 detectors.

One will go below the stove underneath the gas inlet. The other options are:

In the bilge high enough not to get damaged by any water in the bilge, low enough to notice the gas before too much builds up.

Beneath the propane locker in the stern.

Thoughts on each location?

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave,
I would think a place in the bilge make more sense than the locker. You are trying to know the appearance of gas from a leak. It will be gas that runs down hill and accumulates in the bilge in volume that will be your worst problem. So a sniffer in the bilge will be best.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
+1 on the bilge. Under the locker, you'll detect an active leak more quickly but the bilge location will tell you if there's still gas even after the leak has stopped. You want to know this because it's still a hazard. Also, if you can build a little dam under the stove to fill the gap a bit (mine is a small piece of wood trim) it'll trap any leaked propane and improve the sensitivity of the detector.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Propane detectors? Is that a solution looking for a problem? Just asking. I never heard of anyone getting hurt in a propane accident. I guess it can happen, but wow must be rare.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
It's rare thanks to strict standards regarding storage of propane outside the living space, lockers that vent overboard, no hard lines, separate lines from the locker to each propane appliance (no fittings within the living space), flameout shutoffs within the appliances themselves, cutoff solenoids with switches at the point of use, and yes, propane alarms. Every one of those standards came about thanks to catastrophic explosions.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Propane detectors? Is that a solution looking for a problem? Just asking. I never heard of anyone getting hurt in a propane accident. I guess it can happen, but wow must be rare.
It is a secret weapon of the cruising sailors who occasionally venture onto the race course. A little propane blast, accelerates the boat in critical moments and distract the crew on other boats. A little shock and awe never hurt and it can be a good strategy.

OK, so I was just kidding. Propane leaks do happen and the results can be catastrophic. If the detectors sense propane they shut the solenoid. Could save the boat, could save the crew. Here's a recent example:
NC coastal boat explosion puts dad’s sailing dream on hold | WNCN