Prop is turning in neutral

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My 1980 Hunter 33 has a prop shaft angle to the water surface of about 30 degrees and suffers from prop walk with both fixed and feathering/reversing props. Unfortunately I do not have a good photo but if you look carefully you can see the prop angle here.
0510131407.jpg

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I don’t see how that is possible.
The reason that you have prop walk is because standard fixed propellers have a pitch to them.
Just to review what “pitch” is, it is the theoretical amount of movement generated by a spinning propeller as it pulls itself through the water. (Think of an auger)
Now, the weight of the boat, and all other factors subtract from the theoretical ideal pitch calculation
A fixed propeller has sculpted (curved) blades, which is what grabs the water and displaces it.
There are 2 displacement vectors: one is the water being pushed back (or forwards) and the other pushing the water to the side. This side force is a function of the blade shape being curved.
You don’t notice the side force as much going in forward for 2 reasons:
Fixed propellers are optimized for the forward direction. Secondly, they are pushing water back past the rudder, which imparts additional steering thrust.
When going in reverse, 2 things happen:
You are using the less favoured (or less efficient) pitch characteristics of the propeller which has a higher ratio of side thrust to reverse moment.
Also, you aren’t using the laminar flow over your rudder nearly as efficiently, because the boat is moving slower.
The advantage of the max props is that the blades are flat, and the pitch is derived by angling the blades to the desired pitch, which is determined when the prop is installed
On a max prop, the pitch setup is programmed by messing around with how the internal gear pieces are inststalled. On a vari prop it’s much simpler... just some set screw end stop adjustments.
So,,,,
What I’m saying is that the max prop has very minimal side thrust because the blades are flat. On my hunter 40.5, I was astonished the first time I backed out of my slip. Dead straight.
So,,, I honestly can’t imagine where your prop walk is coming from.
Artboats what size of prop do you have in your boat ?