Product Review - Good Crimper Value

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi All,

Some of you may have read the ripping I gave the Harbor Freight Tools ratcheting crimper back in June of 2008 when I compared it to the Ancor ratcheting crimper. It deserved the ripping it got because it made very sub par crimps, which could potentially become a safety hazard.

That thread is: HERE (LINK)

Well, HFT has redeemed themselves and are currently selling a much improved version of the original ratcheting crimper I purchased.

In my opinion, after multiple crimps and pull tests, I can honestly say that it represents an excellent value.

While it is still not an Ancor it is a nice little crimper and at $15.00 it is sold at an very fair price. If you want a good ratcheting crimper I would not wait to buy one.

HFT changes vendors /suppliers and tool quality like you and I change socks so this particular crimper could be superseded by one that makes them .02 more profit next week.

L-R; The original crappy HFT crimper, the new model, and the Ancor:

Die measurements are close to the Ancor:

These are the actual measurements at full crimp measuring the crimp jaw not the strain relief jaw.

Ancor = Yellow 3.29mm, Blue 2.72mm, Red 2.19mm

HFT = Yellow 3.39mm, Blue 2.81mm, Red 2.30mm

Despite the HFT being nearly .1 mm off across the board, the crimps were strong and resisted more pull out strength than is required to meet the ABYC requirement.

L-R; New HFT Crimper, old version of HFT crimper and the Ancor:

The model #:

If you order a crimper from HFT and it has stamped steel jaw dies RETURN IT! The one with the stamped steel dies was the same model # as the "good one".:confused::confused:

As many know HFT is hit or miss on quality so be careful. If you can get your hands on this Chinese made ratcheting crimper, with the machined dies, not stamped steel, it is not a bad unit, especially for the price.

Savor this one, as you probably won't find me complementing HFT all that often I do just call them as I see them and this one is just a good ole value priced tool that works fairly well....:D:D

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A man of honesty and integrity.. Outstanding, Main.. Good report.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
How do you differentiate stamped vs machined?

Good review, but how exactly can we tell if the dies are machined or stamped? Does one have cleaner edges or something like that?

Feb 6, 1998
Good review, but how exactly can we tell if the dies are machined or stamped? Does one have cleaner edges or something like that?
The one on the left is a one piece machined die. The one on the right is made up of five pieces of stamped steel stacked together to make a crimp die.

The one in the middle is the one you don't want. Note the steel plates making up the crimp dies vs. the one piece machined nature of the other two..

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
I had already purchased the later hft crimper before I read your post. and I think it would be easy to use a dremel tool with a grinding attachment to make it crimp a little tighter.

I buy many tools that are either adequate or near usable due to poor manufacture or excessive wear, and tweak them to improve them.

another example is a pair of bolt cutters adjusted and notched to crimp large copper lugs.

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
and by the way I have saved a lot of labor and some money by reading your posts, I hope you know how much you have helped us and have also found that some of your posts help me with other projects besides sailing. Thanks a million for all you do. Sid

Feb 6, 1998
I also want to know what model camera you are using! Thanks. Sid
Depends, tonight I mostly used my Nikon D-200 with SB-600 flash but I also used my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 point & shoot. Sometimes it's hard to hold the D-200 with one hand and the calipers with the other.;) I did not feel like setting up the tripod so I pulled out the P&S for a couple of shots....

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
awesome results. I have a 8 meg kodak but haven't gotten the hang of cloeup yet always trouble with glare and shadows.
I need to take out time and practice.
thanks for the info!
Sid

May 17, 2004
Catalina 380 new bern
Are you saying that the HFT crimper cant do the same job as the ancor crimper because of the stamped steel dies? or the tolerances are worse?
Cole

Feb 6, 1998
Are you saying that the HFT crimper cant do the same job as the ancor crimper because of the stamped steel dies? or the tolerances are worse?
Cole
The HFT with the steel dies makes a poor crimp and yes the tolerances on the steel die version are quite poor. I can actually consistently pull out the wire when using the smaller gauge wire size for the given crimp connector.

Also because of the steel plates, and the inability to properly space the plates for the 10-12's (yellow), the strain relief crimp winds up in the wrong spot.

The HFT with the one piece dies makes a far better crimp than the steel plate Taiwan model. While not the quality of the Ancor, the Chinese model it is a fairly decent crimper at a very fair price..

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
Maine, Awesome pictures. Your review was very timely since my re-wire project is coming up. Do you think that the HFT crimper will keep the rubber guards on the handles?