Problems or Praises from owners of Beneteau 390

Aug 7, 2015
ODay 26 Panama City, FL
I have found a 1989 Beneteau 390 that I am interested in. I have found only limited bits and pieces of information on this particular model. One of the other threads had this to say:

"I had read that the only boat design that Beneteau built that posed a problem was the Oceanis 390. I seem to remember the problem was the hull weight and keel when the boat could not right itself in knockdown."

Can anyone elaborate on this or does anyone have personal experience with a 390? I plan on coastal cruising and spending weekends away from port. No true Bluewater sailing, but I would like a little margin for bad seas to be there should I need it. Thanks for any knowledge you Guys or Gals can share.- Sam

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That is an early model, so I would want to inspect it for the kind of bugs that new models have. I suspect they would have been addressed over the years. All systems should be carefully examined because a boat of that age is due for a MAJOR refit. Standing rig, running rigging, sails, rudder and hull, electrical, potable water, waste and heads, engine, etc. I would want to see the maintenance records, and I would not purchase without an EXTENSIVE survey. That is a big hole in the water you are looking at.

At 36 % ballast/displacement, the B390 has a better ballast ratio than many of the new boats being popped out. 33% is considered minimum.

One thing I hear about from owners and have seen is the the fixed light on the cabin top leaks and creates moisture problems before owners get around to the tedious and expensive job of replacing/rebedding the acrylic panel. It is located right where crew might reasonable be standing while accessing the sail and boom.

Aug 7, 2015
ODay 26 Panama City, FL
Thanks for the words of wisdom Gunni. I was looking for a newer Sailboat but this one was listed in the high $50s range.
An extensive survey would be in order and findings would tell me go/no go. Boats do grow on trees and another one is right around the corner should this one need too much "loving care". Thanks for your input. -Sam

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
There was a recent thread about new vs. used and I think the consensus was used is good, but you need to be very clear-headed about the condition of the boat not costing you more in the end. Here.

Aug 7, 2015
ODay 26 Panama City, FL
Gunni, thanks again. I just got through reading the thread you mentioned. It was very informative and practical.
Perhaps someone else who has not read it, will. - Sam