Problem with Thru Hull... H34

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Just pulled the boat out to paint the bottom......again... and wanted to resolve my engine raw water thru hull valve issue. So, I tried to remove the 1/2" ball valve. It appears to be fused to the thru hull connector fitting. When I turn it, it turns the fitting. Tried multiple ways to hold the fitting in place... but to no avail..... Any suggestions on how to remove it? Maybe a chisel to the fitting from outside and try to remove the flange? Note that on the picture, the mostly disintegrated slotted cover plate has been removed.

Should I replace this with Marelon?

Thanks.. Jon
20180122_141958.jpg 20180122_141003.jpg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If the thru hull is turning, I'd replace the whole thing.. thru-hull, valve, and the wood backing plate.. Mine had been changed to Marelon when PO changed all the gate valves to ball valves, over thirty years ago. Still works fine but I am very careful to not stress it in any way.. The newer Marelon fittings are stronger than the old stuff.. I think they are fine for our boats that stay in the water all year long.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I'm assuming that you plan to replace the valve and thruhull.
I would used a sawzall and cut the thruhull lock nut off at the backing plate base. Then use a flat head screwdriver as a punch and a hammer to punch out the rest of the fitting thru the hull.
You may have to loosen the fitting a bit from the outside if it was bedded with 5200 sealant.
It looks fairly old so it's most likely just caulk.
If you replace to ball valve you may want to used plastic marelon type instead of the bronze. Better to combat electrolysis issues.
Good luck.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thank you Claude and Robbie.... I'll definitely go with the Marelon and I'll give the sawzall a try... I'm not sure why but I didn't think of the sawzall.... May also try the oscillating saw..... I'll let you know how it turns out.... Any thoughts on which Marelon fittings are the best? Thanks.. Jon

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
YouTube is a beautiful thing. There are some good videos on replacing through hulls if you look. Capt. Wayne Canning has some great videos on the subject.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Allan... Thank you for the great write up!
Mark... Great idea! I'll lookup Capt. Canning...... Thanks

I ordered the
scoop strainer: http://www.forespar.com/products/boat-marine-plumbing-mushroom-scoop-strainer-thru-hull.shtml
and the ball valve... http://www.forespar.com/products/boat-marine-plumbing-ball-valve-thru-hull.shtml

After reading Allan's write up on positioning the thru-hull, I may have have to rethink my order and consider ordering a separate thru-hull and a stand alone strainer....

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I don't think you want a strainer. It will restrict flow when its clear and really restrict flow when it is plugged. Inside the boat, use a straight tail piece instead of an elbow. If there is a clog, you can pull the hose, wrap your hand around it and clear it with a long screwdriver. Hasn't happened any more since I upgraded to the 3/4" thru hull.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I was unable to loosen the thruhull enough to get a sawzall between the hull and the flange so we ended up using a grinder with a stone to remove the flange of the thruhull. Took about 4 minutes. Thank you all for the advice and examples expecially Allan and I could not have done this without SteveB's helping hands and advice! Thanks Steve. Now I just have to clean this up!

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
PG sounds good not going with the scoop type thru hull and I have the scoop type on my AC
and what I don’t like them is they get buildup inside and very hard to keep clean and lucky mine was still OK for my AC and the rest of my thru hulls are the round open ball values bronze I think.
I just redid all my thru hulls 6 and new backing plates and used sawmill to replace only 1 and rebedded the rest and lubed all working great,need to open and close regularly and I had 2 stuck open from not opening and closing regularly.
Nick

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks Nick! Always good to hear from you..... I'm still a bit anxious going without the slatted cover.. but I'm sure I'll get over that.... My AC still has a scoop on it.... I'm going to try and give it a good cleaning while still on the hard @ Charlotte Harbor Storage.