Pro Pulse Battery De-Sulphation & Maintenance Device

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I got my Sterling Charger last night - (Thanks for the great deal) - included was a Sterling catalog - one item caught my eye. The "Pro Pulse Battery De-Sulphation & Maintenance Device". Would this work on my AGM batteries in place of equalization?? is it snake oil?? Opinions and comments welcome
https://sterling-power.com/products/pro-pulse-battery-de-sulphation-maintenance-device

Thanks
Les
I have been testing desulphators now for well in excess of 6 years, and have compiled lots and lots of data. Unfortunately none of the data I have collected paints a good light on these products for actually “desulfating”.

I have tested multiple products including the PulseTech a BLS and even the Sterling Power model desulfator you mention. I can’t talk to the actual data, because PS has asked me for it, but suffice it to say I have looked at this every way from Sunday and I have never seen any sort of “desulfating” occurring nor seen any measurable changes in terms of restoring lost capacity, internal resistance changes or better cranking abilities..

I have tested these using:

-Baseline Ah capacity (Array 3721A) then > moving forward Ah capacity changes
-Baseline internal resistance (Argus) then > moving forward internal resistance changes
-Baseline CCA/MCA (Midtronics EXP-1000HD) then > moving forward changes
-Baseline CCA (Argus 500WP) then > moving forward changes
-Baseline peak deliverable in-rush current (Fluke 376) to starter then > moving forward changes
-Baseline peak in-rush low voltage (Fluke 289) to starter motor then > moving forward changes.

Each battery I have tested has had no less than 6 months on a desulfator product. All batteries chosen for testing have come from quite freshly abused banks and none have exceeded 2 years old. Most are less than 18 months old and suffering from chronic undercharging and sulfation. I use and look for batteries that came from parallel wired banks or contiguously wired banks. This gives me a similar matching battery to run other conditioning protocols on. In every single situation standard equalizing procedures has beat the desulfator and done so in a matter of hours as opposed to 6+ months.

I really hate to just bash a whole class of products so have not yet decided whether to publish or not, but from where I sit, having done huge amounts of testing using lab grade tools, I would advise saving your money if you expect a desulfator to actually desulfate a sulfated battery or to restore lost performance.

One thing that gets completely ignored by folks is that once the lead sulfate has hardened and clustered it is dead material, just like a dead skin cell. No amount of Jergens is going to make a dead skin cell live again.

I can’t comment on what would happen if they were used from new as this data would take multiple A/B testing scenarios and 8-10 years to complete. I suspect the manufacturers of these devices know this, so they also know it's very difficult to prove they don’t work when used from new.

As for desulfating a sulfated battery that is pretty easy to test for and they simple answer is no, I’ve not seen them do anything measurable in terms of improving a sulfated battery on numerous measurable points.

My testing has been frustrating because it was first intended for myself because I do need a reliable way to recover abused batteries. I spent my own hard earned dough on all of them and none have done what I need, expect or was told they could do..

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The chemical attempt ( of pulsing or Balance charging) is to prevent crystallization of Lead Sulphate. As long as you minimize the crystals from forming, which will slowly cover the surface of the lead plate, your battery will last longer. Normally the plate is covered with a powdery PbSO4 as it discharges. Charging converts the PbSO4 back to Sulphuric Acid.

You can partially recover a battery by removing these crystals, but it is a royal pain in the butt and not done with electrical charging.

I do use the "Balance Charge" of my inverter charger 2 times a year. It basically kicks the battery out of its routine charge/discharge cycling habit, by super charging at ≈15volts for a short time or Pulse.

I am following the instructions on my IC and can only visually check a plate through the fill hole. So far, so good.
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
James, The limited view of the problem is kind of an issue. We know it is happening but can only see a tiny portion of the cells plate. You would think they could use a translucent material so you could see the plates. But then the cost would be higher and I suspect the plastic material used for battery cases is recycled material.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Snake Oil.
Hmmmm I have never added that to a battery.o_O

Unfortunately once the Crystallization starts, its like making rock candy....
They grow and grow and grow...:yikes:

You would think they could use a translucent material so you could see the plates[/QUOTE]
The only reason I am inspecting "the back 40 of the farm" is to see if the Balance Charge is working (maybe). Other than that curiosity, I am not sure what I could learn more that just monitoring the time to discharge/charge, under my normal operation.
______
Crystallization is like the "snowball rolling down a hill". You will see a rapid loss of battery working capacity when it is too late.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Dang... my comment got included in jssailem's quote.

"The only reason I am inspecting "the back 40 of the farm" is to see if the Balance Charge is working (maybe). Other than that curiosity, I am not sure what I could learn more that just monitoring the time to discharge/charge, under my normal operation.
______
Crystallization is like the "snowball rolling down a hill". You will see a rapid loss of battery working capacity when it is too late."
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jim... Just imagine the stories you could tell during the evening drinks... Yes... I can show you my batteries but will you still love me in the morning?