Primer and paint for steel in engine compartment?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My new engine will sit on 1/4" A36 steel (not stainless) bearer plates. Any recommendations for the best primer and paint to use on bare steel?

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Epoxy primer. Then ZeroRust. Epoxy primer from SouthernPolyurethanes. Zero Rust probably amazon , local body shop supply firms, or try AutobodyStore.com. You can use ZeroRust all by itself too.

Charles

Last edited:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Check out por15. It's a very tough coating and perfect for your intended use and doesn't need to be top coated unless you want to because it won't see UV.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Because it will be located in place that is both difficult to access (touch up), and rust prone if I were installing steel engine mounts I would have them dip galvanized and epoxy painted, install them and forget them for the life of the boat.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
I would take the plates to a powder coating shop? I don't think you never have to worry about rusting again.Might be more expensive to get this done, but it would be worth it.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I would take the plates to a powder coating shop? I don't think you never have to worry about rusting again.Might be more expensive to get this done, but it would be worth it.
I thought about that! I do have a powder coating shop nearby. Figured it might be a bit spendy, though ...

One thing has occurred to me: no matter what I do with these bearer plates, I WILL scratch them up installing the engine on top of them, so there's no point getting obsessive about it.

I'm leaning toward the POR-15 recommendations. The stuff looks easy to use, and gets rave reviews.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
I use ZeroRust on undersides of several auto restorations - especially fender interiors constantly exposed to grit and water. Also have use it on steel angle iron motor mount reinforcements in three boats. I don't use POR15 because it can crack and trap moisture against the metal. ZeroRust won't because it is not brittle.

As to dings and scratches ZeroRust is easy to repair whereas dings in POR 15 need more aggressive preparation - which is not good when access is poor.

Ultimately both are good - it is just that after many years using these materials - ZeroRust is a better choice. In either case follow the directions exactly whichever one you pick. If it matters I think ZeroRust is about $25/qt POR 15 is about $50.

Charles

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I like the POR 15. Do not get it on anything you don't want painted, it's PERMANENT!