Preventer Attachment Point

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30Mk III Oyster Bay
Is a shroud base sufficiently strong to use as a deck attachment point for a preventer? Boat is a 1992 MkII. I would rather not put a toe-stubbing fitting on the deck between the toe rail and the cabin. Other suggestions?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
You can put a genoa track slide on your existing track similar to this one.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
How about a folding Pad Eye. Something like this... near the shroud with proper backing plate.
IMG_0590.JPG
About $12

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I use exactly what Ted suggested. They were on the boat. Also use em to tie fenders so it's not around a stanchion base. I don't sail much DDW, so I don't rig a preventer as often as I probably should. (If less than 15 or so, I'll fly the asym - so no DDW anyway)

The base of the shrounds/stays (chainplate) are pretty strong - after all, they're holding the rig up. They're also bolted into the bulkheads rather than just washers below like on a stanchion. But they're not as convenient as using the genoa track slide - it's more outboard and thus gives a better angle.

You can also run one all the way to the bow - it's a better angle still. I've used my asym tack line for one before when it was too sporty to fly the kite - it was already there and on a block out at the pointy end.