PREPPING H23 for paint + questions about keel prep

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Carpet all in - mostly trimmed - last coat of a gloss white on cieling + putting back all the wiring - getting there! bulk head i had sanded down but it was just veneer plywood and did not hold stain well - so went gloss white enamel - should britens up the interior once all is back together.

I may seam carpet in on the topside edge where the hull meets the top interior to give it a clean look - there was wood on that edge from the factory which made stapling in the carpet prior to glueing easy.

Attachments

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Interlux maurits blue 2 coats - wetsanded and buffed - still a few spots to go this week - any tips on stripes / pinstriping a boat?

Planning 1in white at top and a tricolor blue - then a 2in boat stripe medium blue as the boot.
btw inside is done and boat is back together!
thanks

Attachments

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Cheers Dave
Thanks for all the help on this long rehab - you’re prob the only one in this thread but Ill add some things into the owner mods to help the other h23 guys.

Finished striping and buffing it today - numbers go on tmrw and she’ll be back where she belongs - in the water by sundown,

whew

Attachments

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Looks a lot better than mine. I tried POR15 on the keel, and it is so-so. It has some rusty patches, but I don't feel like crawling under there to strip it and use epoxy coating, plus I find it a pain in the tush to mix it. Lucky for you that the mast is already up. If you are in New Hamburg on the Hudson and you intend to ever use the trailer, Lake Wallenpaupack is probably the closest more or less decent body of water to you, maybe 90 minutes drive?

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
cheers isaks
Stripping that keel was a pain in the back neck and rear!

Wire brush and even grinding could not get off all the 30yrs of paint. I ended up sealing it with a rust blocker from rustoleum that was marine grade. Gross stuff.

Then fairing it with the interlux expensive (i still feel the pain) fairing compound.
I used 5200 at the seam of fiber and iron prior to fairing after cleaning up the seam with 60grit first.

I think its good for at least a few years now.
Mast Ive never taken down yet as they move her around the yard with it up. If we move Ill get a new trailer or redo the original pne bc it is not road worthy or registered currently - basically just a winter stand currently so we’ll be cruisin the hudson.

I hear wallenwaupack is beautiful - Clear water would be nice after sailing above the mirky estuary waters of thr hudson :)

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Oh - I did not use epoxy coating on the keel - the boat seam was in good shape and the fiberglass was too. The rust paint and fairing compound was rated for below the water line.

did i miss a step!?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I’m a little late to this party but I had my keel sandblasted. No work for me other than taking it to the Mr. Sandman.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Kermit - this was on your 23 that you had, right? If you left it bare metal, how did it fare with rusting after that? The patches on my keel where the POR15 came off have a layer of softish scaly rust - I have just left them for now.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Kermit - this was on your 23 that you had, right? If you left it bare metal, how did it fare with rusting after that? The patches on my keel where the POR15 came off have a layer of softish scaly rust - I have just left them for now.
Yep. It rusts quickly. That’s why you need to seal it lickety-split.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
cheers dave -
absolutely call on me - but i will say the wife just talley’d all my $’s up trips to homedepot
boat stores - yikes! Lucky she didn’t see my marina tab yet!

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Hey Kermit -
What did you seal it with ? Epoxy?
So literall all i did was fair it after sealing with marine rust paint - then interlux ablative - am I in for a rusty surprise when we pull her out in november?!