PREPPING H23 for paint + questions about keel prep

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi All
Lots of work on the H23 in motion.

Ive stripped down most of the 30yrs of paint off the keel. I plan to seal it this wkend using a metal paint primer then fair it with a interlux filler.

Questions please :

KEEL PREP/ PAINT
- What product should I use at the seam of the keel to the fiberglass? An epoxy - or a easy to use premix would be ideal. Im figuring to just then paint with bottom paint antifouling.

TOPSIDES
We’ve sanded down with 80 most of the current paint - cleaned with 333 - And will sand with 120.

What primer (or do I need a primer?) should I use on the topsides?

I have interlux blue that I plan on doing 2 coats with - rolling and tipping - sanding the first coat with 220 post curing.

In pro photos attached and Ive removed mucg more of the ancient keel paint since these photos once we got it onto the jacks.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
On keel remove old rust and paint which may necessitate using wire disc. Immediately apply a metal primer containing zinc chromate. Fill in voids either two part epoxy and sand smooth. Thean apply four coats of epoxy barrier followed by anti fouling paint. Advise anti fouling paint for tips on applying as it varies. Also advise if trailering a lot or boat sitting in water permanently and either in salt or fresh water giving us a location as some paint are better in various areas

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Thanks Dave!

The boat is in new hamburg ny on the hudson river - I have a trailer - but it only goes on their for winter and is in a slip for the season till about late october. We may move to Tampa later this year - so then it would go onto a new trailer (by the way I am looking for one if anyone has a recommendation?)

Keel - All rust ground down and used a wire brush. I didn't get all of the 30yrs of paint off but removed all the loose stuff off and had earlier sanded most with a 60 grit palm before taking to the grinder.

I then cleaned it with 333, then panted it with a metal rust sealer paint. Very generously. Then my fiberglass guy told me to seal the seam - which I had cleaned and scraped well with 5200 adhesive generously and work it into the any groove around the top of the keel / fiberglass. Which I did.

I don't think I can do the epoxy barrier 4 coats as I don't have more then 1-2 more days of prep before antifouling paint. I am planning to use interlude fairing compound which is for below the water line and says it is good for metal and fiberglass. I'll generous apply tomorrow afternoon is my plan - then sand and repeat on saturday while finishing prepping the topsides (onto fine sandpaper on the topsides next).

Antifouling - I'll use the marina's recommendation is the plan and they have interlux anti-fouling paint galore.

Does the above sound right - or totally off???
Thanks for all the help

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look on ingredients of metal primer. Curious if zinc chromate is in it. Is the epoxy to fill in called water tight and if so follow drying times. Best stuff and I use it.

Trailer mags are out there but look at Road king and Magic Tilt. On Road king call their office in Asheville, N C and ask for the owner’s wife. They may have plans for it from Ron Frisosky now deceased. Figure keel tray to carry load with drop axles and suggest tandem for long haul and safety with minimum of three bunk supports all of course if buying new.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
sounds good on the trailer tips.
Metal primer I used post sanding/grinding was rustoleum metal primer - i didnt see zinc chomate on it but will look for detailed ings.

Post sealing it with the marine rustoleum and doing 5200 adhesive btwn the keel and fiberglass - i coated/faired with very expensive interlux fairing compound. Next day I went in and sanded all down - not pretty but it is smooth.

A few pix attached - I’d love to use bondo marine grade on top of this - then anti-foul - I’ve read conflicting advice? Whatdya think dave ?

btw - i replaced the switch panel with a goodlooking seadog which works perfectly!
All cabin rug is now removed and being sanded off then epoxy painted white on the full interior.

best

Attachments

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
hi dave
painting the deck topsides and bottom - is there an order best to do this?
top down? or

THANKS!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Suggest deck first. If sanding bottom with sander gets dust into pores of deck. Makes a big mess so do the deck first.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Thanks dave
Prepped up the deck friday - hopefully tmrw ill get the first coat on.

Then on to the topsides - then bottom coat.

Then the waterline stripe. Any suggestions on the waterline stripes?

Im thinking to do vinyl reflective tape for the top white line around the boat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
See what the forum store has. I would suggest calling as there are times I cannot pull up what they have.

Just ordered nearly Two thousand in supplies and I am very pleased.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
When spraying on or sanding a chromate paint or primer, I strongly suggest using a tight-fitting respirator with a P100 (purple) filter. You can buy such a respirator at Home Depot and other big box home improvement stores. Zinc chromate and other paints containing hexavalent chromium are very toxic! BrianW

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Thanks! I did that (respirator) and attached are a few of the pics + will send more as I progress. After grinding it down as best I could - I painted it with rust primer - sealed the keel joint prior with 5200 - faired it with interlude compounds - I just did the bottom antifouling paint yesterday - Inter-lux CSC.

Now I just have to decide on the topsides - keep the same blue - or all glossy black top-sides. Any thoughts guys ?
White decks.

Interior has been stripped to fiber (all rugs removed) and mahogany/teak re-stained and poly'd too.
Two new lewmar 7B's black are ready to go on too,

Attachments

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Just checking in -
A few progress pics and tomorrow is supposedly perfect weather to do the topsides - hope so.
Everything is taped and prepped - we’ll still reqipe all the topsides prior to painting. Going with interlux maurits blue then will do white reflective viynl for the boot stripe as well as the thin line around the edge.

Interior was fully sanded down finally today - pics are from last week - it was a nightmare quite honestly.
The glue no matter what remover my guy used - it didn’t come off - plus there was butyl ? to hold the old wires that was a sticky mess.

Solution is - after getting all this fuzz and gunk off - we did the side walls in a new carpet all the way up to the top of the hull - for the cieling that we faired a bit and covered with kilz stainkiller primer 2 gallons. Not marine - my wallet hurts enough already for this endeavor - I’ll send pics tmrw but BEWARE to anyone else who wants to tear down that old stinky rug off the cabin of thier 80’s hunter - it is not for the weak of heart!

Attachments

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Take a look at both bulkhead pieces that support the chainplates. Due to inadequate sealing by PO my 23 has had one of them split from water entering the end grain of the plywood. I replaced with high grade interior plywood and sealed edges with West epoxy. It is a messy job so if yours needs it best do it before you put all the nice stuff back.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Thanks Isaks
I had the fiberglass guy look and he said the supports are in good shape - thank good ness (im at my end!)

Just did the decks with Petite topside white.
Ill add in some grit (i have the rustoleum sand grit) when I do the second coat this week.

boat is being wetsanded - hoping for a better finish - graphics and new lexan windows go on as well this week!

Got to get this thing done + into the water!
best

Attachments

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
URGENT QUESTION

Guys - So my rudder was totally fine - I faired it a bit and then painted it with the interlux csc bottom paint (same as the boat).

Anyway - unltra hot day saturday 90 or so - the rudder was laying out cooking while we were painting the cabin. I sprayed it down with the hose to be able to pick it up.

Now looking at it - it has begun to split !

1. Did the hot weather cold water cause this ?
2. And how do I fix it ?

Fbglass guys says hes never seen the heat do that - usaully it happens from being waterlogged from a whole season- but the boats been on land?¿

pics attached + Thanks

Attachments