prepping for the shakedown - sanity checks

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Heya guys. the 28th i'll loose myself from the dock and here's what i know i'm going to do. make sure i'm not missing something ya?

Motor
Quickstart on board
Fuel in tank
Oil additive for gas (outboard)
Sheets inspection
Main
Halyard
Downhaul
Outhaul
Main
Vang
Jib
Halyard
Jybe sheets
Furler
Backstay
Safety gear
New flares
Replace rotted type iv
Boat already has 6 life preservers on board, and 3 fire extinguishers
Nav light check
Handheld radios

the intention is to do a dock depart, loop and redock, then depart motor out and get clear and pull up sails and do a thirty minute shakedown and return.

if that goes well, recheck everything, and if there's time sail to the end of the lake i'm on and back again... the lake being lake macatawa and approx 10 nautical miles long and 2 wide, giving at least a 5 hour trial.

thoughts?

here's a wide view chart of the lake
upload_2018-7-17_15-1-20.png

blue pen shows where i'm docked vs the long route. roughed in of course :p i don't have opencpn on the machine i'm posting from today.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Perhaps you are overthinking this quite a bit. I would think you'd have a whole lot more fun if you relaxed some and just went sailing for an hour or two, without all the planning. From what I can see on that chart, there are plenty of places to anchor or even tie up should you need to, so it's not like you'll be far from a place to stop and regroup, should you feel the need.
This is supposed to be fun and relaxing, not additional stress in your life.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
oh i over think things all the time. curse of being a systems engineer. i just want to plan to be pulled over or have a sheet break or ... whatever. whats not fun is getting towed back. :p

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
oh i over think things all the time. curse of being a systems engineer. i just want to plan to be pulled over or have a sheet break or ... whatever. whats not fun is getting towed back. :p
Of course, it is. It's another experience to add to your resume! And you get to meet new and interesting people. You are putting more worry into this than I do an interisland sail of a hundred miles.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Well then, maybe you should flow chart it or PERT chart it! JK, just Nike it, ie just go do it and have fun! Check the bilge?

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Haha. When I was 22 or so I bought a four hundred dollar fishing boat. Got it all set up. Went out. Had a blast. Never knew you had to put a plug in it.

;)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've done that. At least twice. The last one caused me a pulled hamstring when I tried to correct it on the slippery ramp. Maybe that checklist isn't s

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Of course, it is. It's another experience to add to your resume! And you get to meet new and interesting people. You are putting more worry into this than I do an interisland sail of a hundred miles.
:plus:Two types of boaters: those who have been towed and those who haven't been towed YET!
Also, stuff (even new stuff) breaks on a sailboat, it too is part of the experience and then you fix it and learn a little more about your boat. "Everything on my boat is either broken or I just fixed it."

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
M
Heya guys. the 28th i'll loose myself from the dock and here's what i know i'm going to do. make sure i'm not missing something ya?

Motor
Quickstart on board
Fuel in tank
Oil additive for gas (outboard)
Sheets inspection
Main
Halyard
Downhaul
Outhaul
Main
Vang
Jib
Halyard
Jybe sheets
Furler
Backstay
Safety gear
New flares
Replace rotted type iv
Boat already has 6 life preservers on board, and 3 fire extinguishers
Nav light check
Handheld radios

the intention is to do a dock depart, loop and redock, then depart motor out and get clear and pull up sails and do a thirty minute shakedown and return.

if that goes well, recheck everything, and if there's time sail to the end of the lake i'm on and back again... the lake being lake macatawa and approx 10 nautical miles long and 2 wide, giving at least a 5 hour trial.

thoughts?

here's a wide view chart of the lake
View attachment 153803

blue pen shows where i'm docked vs the long route. roughed in of course :p i don't have opencpn on the machine i'm posting from today.
Sure, make sure you have all that stuff. Then start the motor and get out in the water. Put the sails up and sail! Figure out the boat while meandering aimlessly around the lake and DO NOT put a limit on your time on the water and DO NOT try to get to a destination your first time out. A half hour is not enough time sailing to figure anything out about your boat-unless something is really messed up already and you'll find that out quick.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Nope :/. Lol .I will manage to get out three or four times this year at this rate and couldn't bring.myself.to burn the money on it. Kinda why I'm being hyper vigilant at the gate.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
As long as you want to plan this much I'll add checking the weather to your checklist. Impending storms can ruin your day, or rush your schedule with potentially worse effects. Beyond that I'd recommend rather than circling back to the dock so many times just staying close to the dock early on then working further away as the day progresses. I agree with the others to not have a destination or set schedule - be flexible, enjoy the time and observe what you can. Things will break or not work the way you expect, winds will change or blow the wrong way, but work through it all and learn from it.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
i went ahead an got boatus unlimited freshwater towing. apparently as a west marine gold member i get a discount and its prorated for the season.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
:plus:Two types of boaters: those who have been towed and those who haven't been towed YET!
Also, stuff (even new stuff) breaks on a sailboat, it too is part of the experience and then you fix it and learn a little more about your boat. "Everything on my boat is either broken or I just fixed it."
LOL i feel like i've fixed everything and thats the dangerous bit. Its come a remarkable amount of distance since i bought it and i believe it will take me well into the next phase - becoming less mechanic and more sailor - shy of putting it on the bottom anything else can be fixed.

i will take into account the weather and conditions. so that is good. :)

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
LOL i feel like i've fixed everything and thats the dangerous bit. Its come a remarkable amount of distance since i bought it and i believe it will take me well into the next phase - becoming less mechanic and more sailor - shy of putting it on the bottom anything else can be fixed.

i will take into account the weather and conditions. so that is good. :)
I've read through your build progress and you have a brand new sail and you've done a ton of work-you'll be fine. Now it's time to enjoy your boat!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Go sailing!!! Have Fun!! Make sure you have a servicable anchor and rode for the lake you are in and a cell phone. If push comes to shove (assuming your are not sinking) you can drop the sails, toss out the anchor, call the tow service, open an adult drink of your choice and have a story to tell. While you are at it forget the anchor and go ahead and drift into the "soft grounding" to get that out of the way on your resume since there are only three kinds of sailors. "Those that have run aground, those that will run aground and D&^# liars"

rbyham

May 28, 2012
Oday 23 Lanier
We all have different personalities. Some are Capt. Ron and some are Capt Cautious. No big deal. If you are the cautious type take it slow. Take the boat out and just motor. Or tie up firmly at the dock and run the engine in gear until you have full confidence in the engine and your operating it. Then go for just a motor run. After that go out sailing under one sail until you are comfortable. In other words think of increments. Break it down Mr. Engineer! :) That is how I grew confidence having been completely green 5 years ago. Last night as I dragged my 65 year old body home after a delightful sunset cruise, I bumped into a 20 something and the girlfriend who I have seen in the marina before. He was astonished that I single hand my sailboat. I didn't say it but frankly I was astonished that he does not. We shall see if he takes me up on offer to help him through setup and fear thresholds... do not let fear win!