Preparing for an ICW Journey

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I have an ODay 28 and am planning a retirement trip down the ICW from Annapolis to Mobile Bay Alabama departing September 2017. I went to a seminar on the trip (to Florida) and got ideas but it sparked many questions I want to put forth to this site for inputs/recommendations:

1. Get a heater. Any ideas?
2. Refrigeration system, tips?
3. Windlass, worth it? Any recommendations?
4. Washdown system
5. Anchor... I have a danforth. I hear I need a spade. My boat weighs 8,500 pounds. I'm thinking of adding a spade and using the danforth as the 2nd anchor. Most specs suggest a 14 pounder but I've been told go up to 22 lb which is supposed to accommodate up to a 50 foot boat. In the end I'll be living off Mobile Bay so that bottom certainly matters too.
6. any tips on a dinghy? I'm told to get a hard bottom inflatable with a large diameter and a gas motor. is that overkill for a 28 footer to tow?
7. wifi booster - I have a mac book air

Finally, I was planning to join the Sail Magazine sponsored flotilla called the Snow Bird Rally that leaves from Norfolk to Florida in late October. I just learned they are no longer doing this. There is a 4-day seminar on the ICW in Hampton in mid October where sailors also network and journey together. I may go this year to meet people who also are delaying till next year. Most people there I understand are leaving right away. Anyone have other ideas how to find fellow sailors planning the ICW trip in September 2017 to connect with?

Thanks
Randy - the Wanderer

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you just put out a good call to find those people...someone will chime in i am sure .........whee are you headed in mobile bay...and welcome to the fourm

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
. Windlass, worth it? Any recommendations?
A 22lb anchor plus chain shouldn't be too unmanageable without a windlass. We had a 25# CQR that I lifted by hand since I was a kid. Adding a windlass means finding a place to mount it, run power to it, control it, maintain it, etc., which may not be worth the trouble on this size boat.

I'm told to get a hard bottom inflatable with a large diameter and a gas motor.
We had a hard bottom inflatable (fully inflatable but with wooden floorboards) on our 28, with 3HP gas engine. Worked just fine for us, and you'll probably be in a position to rely on it more than we did. The 28 doesn't have a swim platform so you don't want too heavy of an engine to have to load an unload. Our 3HP was 35 pounds which is probably about the limit of what you would want to negotiate, particularly in a bumpy anchorage.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
A few thoughts.

I've run Texas to Annapolis, and return twice now. Plus the Bahamas. Texas to Pensacola Florida 4 round trips now. Total of almost 12,000 miles. That includes two trips across part of GOM. You'll have to do the same. Tarpon Springs Florida, to either Appalachicola or Carrabelle. Dog Island Pass is easier to come into, but Appalach is shorter. Either way will be about 160 miles offshore. Of course,, you CAN add days and go Tarpon-Cedar Key-Steinhatchee River-Carrabelle, but that adds mucho time

I carry a 22 pound Claw on 75 feet of 1/4 G4 chain, with 150 foot of 1/2 nylon. I've very seldom used the nylon. I use a 12 pound HiTensile Danforth with 25 feet of G4, and also a 15 pound Northill. also with 25 feet of chain. That's for when I HAVE to drop in grass. A Danforth sux in grass, and I will not go to sleep on a single one, in a tidal area. Seen them fail to reset too many times. GREAT anchors though, if you use them right

I'm 75 yrs old and use no windlass.

My boat is a bit lighter than yours, but not a lot, so comparable anchors should do fine. It's a Rhodes Meridian 25, and loaded for cruise, ,I figure 7500 pounds

So far, my favorite dinghy has been an Achilles 7'6" with roll up wood floor and a 2.3 HP merc. Currently I use a 6'6" rowing hard dinghy. I'd rather have the Achilles.

I lived aboard for 2 1`/2 years and don't have refrigeration. Really don't miss it. I built in a really good icebox, with 3 1/2 inches of insulation. It'll hold a 25 pound block of ice for 7-9 days. .I never use it for food. Figured out how much to cook for one meal, with no leftovers. Used self canned meats, in 1/2 pint jars. Enough for a meal, even with two aboard.

If you will pm me, I'd be happy to try to answer any questions on anchorages, pumpouts, etc. But I'd have to go to boat and consult log book for details

Edited to add- my last trip, I left MobJack Bay on Sept 2nd, and arrived Texas Dec 21st, single hand. Plan to get into Fla by late Sept, early Oct , mother wise you can get COLD:)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
On the subject of ground tackle, I don't know who you've been talking to but whoever told you a "22 lb which is supposed to accommodate up to a 50 foot boat.", I would suggest that you stop taking advice from that person. We have a 53' boat and our #1 anchor is 88# and I wouldn't go one ounce lighter! My #2 is 65# and so on. Please read my signature quote below, by a sailor of some repute.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
IN the fall you need to be concerned with weather during the hurricane season from Maryland and down. I would have all the charts and learn where hurricane holes are for example Blunt's Bay on the Pamlico River or those anchorages that are less affected by the winds. If anchoring for major storms, you may want a second anchor and when setting, throw the first to the east, motor back and let the anchor dig in. The second anchor should be thrown out to the south and again dig in making darn sure you are using chafe gear where the line comes over the boat so it will not rub thru. Ensure that the swing of your circle will not hit any other anchored boats.When charting your course, make sure you will clear all bridges if your mast with antennas and what ever you have on the mast will clear as I use to repair many where the sailor did not consider this. Most important, generally local knowledge is the best vs. weekend warriors who really do not know. It is a good idea as you mentioned going with a group who has made the trip before. Enjoy your trip and wish I could be a part but now living in the mountains overlooking the head of the James River.

Mar 1, 2012
Dave mentioned charts. I used three Chartbooks - Norfolk to Florida. Florida East coast, and Florida west coast. After Florida west coast there just aren't any .

However, NOAA has developed the "Booklet" Charts, You can print them yourself, or put onto a flash drive and have them printed, then put into a three ring binder. I have ICW charts printed from here to Annapolis. Current as of the day you print them. Here's a link to the NOAA site -

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/BookletChart.html

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Thanks. I envision towing the dinghy with the engine left on the dinghy. It sounds like you suggest removing and remounting the dinghy with each use?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i am in fairhope marina just up the bay from where you are headed ....have a safe voyage and we will meet sometime when you get here

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
thanks for the very helpful response. Yes I'd love to connect further with you. I'm at sportzmann2003@yahoo.com. I don't know if sharing an email on this site is permitted - I hope so.

Figuring out where to store 2 anchors and all that heavy chain is a challenge. I love your food idea. My alcohol stove is dead so I'm looking at replacong it with a new Origio 2 or 3 burner and skipping the oven, What worked for you?

Do I need 2 plow anchors or 1 danforth and 1 plow?

Mar 1, 2012
Thanks. I envision towing the dinghy with the engine left on the dinghy. It sounds like you suggest removing and remounting the dinghy with each use?
I've towed a dinghy fro many thousands of miles, and I would NEVER tow with the engine left on, except perhaps to move around in an anchorage. Underway? No way. If that dink capsizes, the consequences are too great. And capsize they do.

I'd carry one plow type (Claw actually) and one Danforth. And at least a boat length of chain on each should be sufficient for your trip.. I carried the chain I did because I was cruising far and wide. Never knew where I would anchor, or in what conditions.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
s2 9.2 and live aboard here in fairhope....as for the anchors one of each may be the best choice.....as for the stove a two burner will be enough unless you are cooking a seven course meal

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
1. Heater - get a couple of small portable electric heaters. If the boat isn't wired for shorepower, have that done. Obviously this will only work in a marina. No easy/cheap answer at anchor (diesel heater, reverse cycle A/C with genset, or fireplace with chimney). You could buy a little Honda generator. But you'll spend less just getting a slip on the cold nights.

2. It is very easy to buy ice along the ICW. If you must have electric, consider a portable cooler by Engel. Very efficient. People love them. Will probably require more battery.

3. Windlass: Nice to have but expensive wiring to get all those amps to the bow. My favorite brand is Maxwell - great reputation for reliability. If you get one, put 60'+ of chain on your anchor so most of the time you are anchoring with all chain. You'll sleep better. But I'd probably skip the windlass and long chain for just the ICW.

4. Nice to have but another seacock and hole in the boat. A long pole and good brush work almost as well.

5. Any of the "new gen" anchors will do - spade, rocna, manson supreme, mantus. Anchoring at night in the ICW often means 180 degree swings with current change. These anchors will all reliably reset at 3AM without you getting up. And at 3AM 22lb-25lb will seem like a wise decision.

6: Dinghy - get a 2hp outboard that's easy to lift. Or an electric Torquedo. Will go 5mph. To plane you need 15hp and that's over 100lbs of outboard. You have no place to store a RIB in deck. Get one with an inflatable floor or removable floor. No problem towing a light dinghy with a small outboard on the ICW except in a few potentially rough areas - obviously risky to tow from Annapolis to Norfolk.

7. Skip the booster. There's no free Wifi along the ICW. It's expensive and usually slow. Marinas often charge $10/night. Cellular LTE coverage along the ICW is very good now. Lots of phones will work. I use an Iphone (Iphone 5 or greater) and Verizon. Verizon seems to have the best LTE along the ICW. Connect your Air to the Iphone hotspot.

8: You didn't ask but: 1) Replace cabin light and anchor light bulbs with LED to save battery. 2: Get an Ipad or tablet with a chart program that runs ActiveCaptain. I personally like Garmin Bluechart app on an iPad (no cellular connection needed). This gives you crowd sourced info about ICW shallow spots. 3) Take your time. I assume two 50 mile days followed by a day or two off. 4: Replace your mattress foam or add a "foam topper". 5: Replace battery, filters, impeller, oil and coolant before leaving. Carry several spare fuel filters. Consider carrying spare alternator, regulator, and belts.

Carl

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2012
"No problem towing a light dinghy with a small outboard on the ICW except in a few potentially rough areas - obviously risky to tow from Annapolis to Norfolk."

The sounds in Virginia, North and South Carolina, and parts of Georgia can be as rough as anywhere in the Chesapeake. Broad, and shallow. Can kick up a nasty set of seas.

Besides, in much of the trip he has planned, a motor is not really needed. usually a short row in.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Agreed, those are the rough stretches I meant where he'd want to stow the outboard, but they make up only about 10% of the ICW journey from Norfolk -- and are only a problem when the wind is up.

Rowing means a hard shell dinghy instead of an inflatable. Certainly possible but it wouldn't be my first choice for this trip.

Mar 1, 2012
Agreed, those are the rough stretches I meant where he'd want to stow the outboard, but they make up only about 10% of the ICW journey from Norfolk -- and are only a problem when the wind is up.

Rowing means a hard shell dinghy instead of an inflatable. Certainly possible but it wouldn't be my first choice for this trip.
I rowed my Achilles 7'6" often, but only short trips of course. But having done that trip several times, I can assure you, there are very few places where an outboard would REALLY be needed to get ashore. Not unless he chooses to go exploring. Boot Key Harbor is one for sure, but I doubt he'll get down there. Norfolk, St Augustine, Stuart, Fort Myers Bch, etc- 200 or so feet mooring to dinghy docks. No biggie. And by the way- picking up a mooring ball when traveling is way simpler than anchoring:) And really not that expensive Stuart for example was $15 night. Included loaner bikes, showers, wifi, use of day room.

Keep in mind- he's moving a boat point A to point B, NOT cruising here and there