Precision-15 Running Rigging screws backing out?

Bif

Jun 10, 2017
Precision Precision 15 Calhoun
Hi,
The pulleys of my running rigging clip to a small-eye-strap mounted on the centerboard trunk. While sailing yesterday, I saw that the two screws that hold the strap down had backed/pulled out part way. Yikes!

Docked, I screwed them back in.

My questions: Do the strap-screws screw into a nut inside the trunk? Are the nuts stripped? Are the nuts accessible from the bottom of the boat? Has anyone had this experience?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bif,
I looked at a picture of your boat. I am trying to translate the question into sailing words I can understand.
You say running rigging. Am I to understand this is the block that controls the "Mainsheet"?
The Pulleys - "Block" - looks something like this?
2p15.jpg
If so it is possible that the screws were installed into the fiberglass trunk of the center board. What do these screws look like?
index.png
If a wood screw then it is likely there is not enough strength in the fiberglass to hold them in place with the stresses being applied.
Pictures of your problem are a big thing when asking for help with your challenge.

Bif

Jun 10, 2017
Sorry, John, for the vagueness. Thank you for not giving up on me. The photo you sent exactly the set up.

Yes, the screws hold down the "strap" the block is clipped to. No, they are not wood screws.

Attachments

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
Those appear to be machine screws which means they are most likely drilled and tapped into an embedded piece of aluminum or steel in the trunk. If that's the case I would suggest taking them out and adding BLUE Loctite to the screws before reinstalling them. Make sure to use the BLUE as it is semi-permanent whereas the RED is permanent and you will never get them out even when you want to.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bif,
As Tony indicates they appear to be panhead stainless machine screws. This is good. I do not know enough about the way your boat was manufactured.
If it was me, I would remove the screws and look at the holes. Sometimes the boats were made with a metal insert under the fiber glass other times the manufacturer used wood. Typical woods were a dense wood like teak, but if they were saving a buck more likely plywood. They would fiberglass over the wood and then screw into it. Sometimes they used a caulk to stop water from getting past the fiberglass and into the wood, but not always. So you need to inspect the hole for what might be under the fiberglass anif water has gotten inside and affected anything under the fiberglass. Best outcome is that it is all fiberglass and the screws just worked their way out. Worse case is that you have deterioration going on under the fiberglass. If the latter you need to
  1. dry the substrata out.
  2. Harden it with something like penetrating resin,
  3. fill in the holes with a epoxy filler,
  4. then drill new holes in the filled epoxy and
  5. reset the screws.
If it is all fiberglass them skips steps 1 and 2, go straight to 3 thru 5. It is just time not really complicated. I like to use West Systems epoxy with one of their fillers. Mixed to a paste/thin jiffy peanut butter consistency, then injected slowly into the holes. Get all the air out of the injected product. (Tape around the hole and it will ease the cleanup) Let them set over night. Then sand level, drill, tap the hole and screw back together with some butyltape to caulk the screw holes just in case.

Bif

Jun 10, 2017
Wow, thank you guys for the evaluation and solutions.
I will contact Precision tomorrow, hoping to get some info on what lies below the holes.
Maybe, just maybe, the screws worked themselves loose and there is no damage to the threads of the fiberglass/wood/steel.