Practice what we preach.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
When I first purchase my Catalina 22, I jacked it up above it’s trailer and removed the trailer to work on the keel. I did this in my front yard 22 years ago. For the last 21 years, I have access to a home built lift for removing sailboats from their trailers for bottom work which I have used when needed.

This year, recovered from a broken neck that happened last fall, I decided to do the antifouling bottom painting at home on a cement driveway where I can use an automotive repair dolly to roll around underneath the hull and lay on my back to paint at my leisure over tying up and using friends lift.

So, there has been a number of times on this blog in which someone asked the question “how do I paint the bottom underneath the trailer bunks”.

I’ve attached a PDF doc with photos and the trials and tribulations of doing this at home!

Attachments

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Great idea, but this is what I did about the year 2006 when I bought my first swing keel boat an "Islander 23" I jacked the trailer front and rear with the boat on the bunks. When it was high enough I blocked off the boat same as you but the support under the bow was 3 laminated 2x6's and wide enough so that the trailer wheels would pas between. I then lowered the trailer with the wheels removed then pulled the traile out from under on it's hubs. I could sit up and work on the bottom. Very sorry but I am so bad about taking pictures. but you can get the idea.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Good timing !

I'm looking into how to tackle this. Most seem to use variations of the same theme.

Yesterday, by chance I happened upon an ad for the "Totalboat trailer mounted boat lift"
While it doesn't allow completely removing the trailer from under the boat, for most things it would likely work great.
Being a frugal minded individual who is in the middle of taking a welding class.... I'm thinking I may just make one myself. or at least something similar specific to my trailer.

Sep 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Porterville, CA
Good timing !

I'm looking into how to tackle this. Most seem to use variations of the same theme.

Yesterday, by chance I happened upon an ad for the "Totalboat trailer mounted boat lift"
While it doesn't allow completely removing the trailer from under the boat, for most things it would likely work great.
Being a frugal minded individual who is in the middle of taking a welding class.... I'm thinking I may just make one myself. or at least something similar specific to my trailer.
Did you try this jack system? How did it work out for you? I'm thinking about ordering a set.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I blocked off the boat same as you but the support under the bow was 3 laminated 2x6's and wide enough so that the trailer wheels would pass between.
Three 2x6's huh? I've wondered many times what kind of beam would be necessary for that.

What sort of "lamination" did you use?

Jan 22, 2018
Catalina 22 Trailer girl
This is exactly what I was looking for! Not so much to paint the hull, as my bottom paint is only 3 yrs old and has only been in the water for 2 weeks out of those 3 yrs, but to pull the keel and replace hardware. THANK YOU!!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
When I first brought Dragonfly home, she needed to have her CB pulled and her trailer fixed. I replaced the rollers with bunks.

I made a frame out of an old swing set I'd built for my kids when they were young. This is made from (4) 8' 4x4 posts and some 2x4 8s I had. The hardware is (4) 5/8th galvanized eye-bolts and everything screwed together with 3" deck screws. I bought the set of (4) 1500# ratchet tie-downs and cranked them up in pairs so I could relieve one at a time to cinch them up as Dragonfly rose higher. I put cinder blocks under her in case something went wrong. It worked like a charm.
For painting the bottom, the straps can be moved fore or aft to allow for painting.
Dragonfly hoisted off trailer.jpg

-Will (Dragonfly)