PPM

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

Just had a discussion about drinking water and the PPM here in the Bahamas. What do you use for measuring, swimming pool tester? I judge the shower by suds from the shampoo.

All U Get

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
What, no watermaker? :biggrin: PPM denotes undissolved contaminants, yes?
Around here we take our pool water to the local pool supply places to determine TDS.
But yeah, the technique you might use would be the same, a good pool water testing set-up, with fresh reagents.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
PPM is parts per million. Without knowing the substance it is imposable to assess if the PPM for it is OK or not.
I'd recommend either a water maker, collect rain water our use a quality activated carbon filter if you have concerns about the quality of the water. I was under the impression that most of the potable water (ie available at a marina) was manufactured by reverse osmosis (AKA a water maker) so the purity should be pretty good.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
He's talking about "hardness", the concentration of dissolved calcium and magnesium in water. The harder the water the less the shampoo suds. Down Bahama way you would have RO water or rainwater - both very "soft" water. Soap up!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I found a small, very inexpensive, mountable TDS meter from HM Digital for use with my watermaker. Plugs right into a PEX inline fitting. Probably not what you are looking for as a portable device, but they should have something you can use.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Total Dissolved Solids is going to give you the combination of calcium, magnesium (hardness) plus sea salts and things that may be polluting the water (sulfates). It would be a raw water quality measure more so than a nuisance potable water measure. At about 200 ppm hard water will crust and plug HW heaters and fixtures. However hard water is considered to be protective of heart health.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
TDS is anything that is left over have the water evaporates. Organic or Inorganic.
a TDS meter measures electrical resistance of water. Dissolved Organics like...

Carbon DiCrapite:yikes:

Don't ionize and conduct electricity.

Those organics normal can be absorbed on activated charcoal.

Drinking water is normally < 500 ppm of TDS.
Jim...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Some marinas have RO available while others maybe only cisterns or possibly drilled wells. We've noticed while walking there appears to be well heads on certain islands. We did buy some water that was reasonable and will have plenty until we cross back.

All U Get