POWER VENTS

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi All
Im considering a solar powered vent to help keep the cabin cool/fresh on my boat.

Any cutting into the deck or fiberglass scares me and I want it to be a worthwhile endeavor.

Is there a brand I should buy or model? Any tips to installing?

Thanks !
drew

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Most people cut a hatch rather than the deck. Don't expect very noticeable "cool/fresh" results though. We have one that a PO installed. Can't say it moves a lot of air but at least there's some escape.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have one on my boat that the PO installed. It is just to port of the mast on the deck. It works great and I'm glad to have it. I can snap a picture of the brand if you wish me to. I also have three of these type fans (see pic) hard wired into the hull. They really move a lot of air and do not consume too much of my battery life.
v-berth.jpg

Jul 31, 2018
Hunter 260 Chapin
I thought about making a custom companion way hatch with solar vents in it when I'm not in the cabin or the hatch is closed. I also keep a Ryobi fan in the cabin. It works well

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Thanks! Yes rgrager - pls snap a photo. I have a sweet little fan I installed inside the cabin but really want something working when I'm not there that would be solar too.

Yes - great tip Justin - to cut thru the hatch not hull ! omg I didn't even think of that - whew

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
We have a solared powered vent fan in our boat and I put it through the cabin top between the mast and pop top. It has helped reduce the amount of mold we get in the cabin roof on the inside which is saying something with how hot and humid our summers are now. It doesn't move a lot of air at once but it pretty much runs 24\7 even after 3 years in the boat. It was still running the next morning the last time we stayed all night so the small internal battery has held up well.

Sam

Jan 19, 2010
.... so the small internal battery has held up well.

Sam
WHAT! I'll have to check and see if mine has one of those. Mine runs when the sun shines and stops when a cloud passes over the sun. It is kind of hypnotic on a scattered cloud sort of day. You hear the hum of the motor pitch go up as the cloud passes and then the pitch dies off as a new cloud passes over.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have had one on every boat I have owned. I have always installed them in the hatch, and I switched to solar when they came out and day/night when they did. I started with a wooden boat which was in a shaded slip. That was good for varnish but lousy for the interior. The vents, and then solar worked very well. I have replaced the one on my current boat once in 19 years. The motor just wore out.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The one Rgranger has a rrecharsble battery but due to age it needs replacing as it is a solar vent. There should be an on and off button with that one. I installed that one years ago going on the cutting diagram included and using pure silicon architectural grade of course.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I used the Eco worthy solar powered vent fan off of Amazon for 60 bucks. Been very happy with it so far.
Yes, the battery is replaceable. I think it is a small multicell battery similar to the type used in cordless phones.
Not a cure all by any means but I feel it's been a worthwhile addition. Plus it doubles a good place to hold the coiled up main halyard while we sail. I just loosely coil in my hand then lay the coil around the fan.

Sam

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Great all around + thank you all! What type of fan make /model do you have flyinhi4u???

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have two broken ones in the two overhead hatches in my boat. They are Narinco solar ventilators. My are the older, square ones with stainless steel trim outside and wood trim inside. They are of apparently flimsy quality, and parts aren't available. I don't think they were ever that good, and I wish the previous owner hadn't cut holes in the hatch lenses!

The problem is that I don't think you can get a good one. If you find one you think is good, please let us know!

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Not sure if the Eco Worthy vent fans are the best but so far so good after 3 years. The lense is starting to yellow a bit but it's replaceable. Does what I wanted it to do, easy install, and the price was right .

Sam

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
The problem is that I don't think you can get a good one.
I replaced the square one with the round one using the same size hole (4" I think) purchased from this site. It was four years ago and so far so good. It does make a difference in the interior maintenance IMHO and experience.

Jan 19, 2010
Yes, I'm on the east coast and expect Florence to pass over later this weekend. But it should just be a tropical storm by the time it gets to me.