Posting private information on this forum

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was asked why I suggest never posting personal date on this forum to include email address, address, phone numbers and the like when suggesting that should be sent via private message. You do not know who may be monitoring. Call it security for me.

I froze my accounts due to the Equifax hack a couple of years ago. Recently I received an email that one temp. freeze was no longer valid. I immediately put that into spam and called the credit bureau and confirmed the freeze was still valid. I always have said to my wife when purchasing, call the seller instead of over the internet.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We in IT have gone further to change account 'hint' questions from things like "where were you born", "mother's maiden name" etc because that information can be farmed to create a window for phishing. Now the hints are less personal

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
All my credit cards are insured and I have monitoring that tells me when there is any change to my credit line in any way. If your going to worry all day about money you won't enjoy life.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
A personal pet peeve of mine is when people use someone's name, as though that were a friendly gesture. In nearly all cases it is (not all), but if the person agreed to having their name distributed in that manner, they would have list it in their signature. Some do. Once posted, it is out there forever.

In some cases it might be legitimate to give a person's name, if it is a public person (business owner, writer, well known individual), but not in such a way as to relate it to their forum name. Let them do that.

In my opinion this is an obvious rule of forum behavior; NEVER list another person's private information, no exceptions.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There is already enough information on here about everyone for a malicious hacker to send one of those " help me, I need to get home" requests from a FB or email account that would have enough personal info to sound credible. I see hacked accounts on a regular basis.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I worked for the Guvmint a long time and knew everything I did was supposed to be "public record" however I was most dismayed to learn that due to the states' "transparency policy" a rather simply google search produces my income for the last 15 years. I found a newspaper photo of myself and sister in the "Walteria Times" from 60 years ago on the internet, who the hell took the time to scan that into cyberspace ?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I haven't had an offer of 100MM to transfer in a long time. These folks are such fun to get riled up.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I worked for the Guvmint a long time and knew everything I did was supposed to be "public record" however I was most dismayed to learn that due to the states' "transparency policy" a rather simply google search produces my income for the last 15 years. I found a newspaper photo of myself and sister in the "Walteria Times" from 60 years ago on the internet, who the hell took the time to scan that into cyberspace ?
Did you go to South High?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I once had a Microsoft Safety Engineer on the phone for 20 minutes. He called from somewhere in India. It appears my computer had notified him that I had a security issue and he wanted to help.

So I went to the closet and got my Osborne off the shelf and plugged it in. Surprisingly the thing booted. Told him I was amazed. It must have spoke to him. He was thrilled. Told me to click on the windows icon. I asked what’s an icon.....
He had never heard of CP/M... let alone an Osborne. That gave me a clue he might not be a Microsoft Security Engineer.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
That gave me a clue he might not be a Microsoft Security Engineer.
I have had similar calls about my Windows platform shutting down. I chuckled to myself, since all platforms I run are Apple OS.
Here is the simple question I always ask to detect a scam...

"Are you wanting to get money from me to solve this problem?"

They always quickly hang up!:pimp:
Jim...

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
We in IT have gone further to change account 'hint' questions from things like "where were you born", "mother's maiden name" etc because that information can be farmed to create a window for phishing. Now the hints are less personal
I learned awhile back to not use true answers to those questions. Answer a question such as "where were you born" with something like "banana". Of course, you will have to remember it but who is ever going to guess that one.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
:thumbup:
I hate it when a site requires those hints. The more of those little crumbs of info we put out there, the less secure we are. I use a password manager and put the answers to “hints” there. Why? Because my answers are bogus, and I could never remember them. e.g.: “What’s the name of your first dog? Basketball”.