Post Labor Day Cruising

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am two days in on a 95 mile cruise around Whidbey Island. So far it has been light on boat traffic as the kids are back in school. No waits at our chosen dining spots (had a great Thai dinner in Port Townsend and BBQ Brisket at a new place 'Whitey's" in La Conner, named after the owners former goat. He assured us no goat was used in making the BBQ).

Weather while mild has been a bit disappointing. The beautiful views we take for granted have been hidden by the smoke and haze from the forest fires raging in the Pacific Northwest. It is worst than fog. More like a Beijing smog. The forecast for 10 knot winds on the Strait of Juan de Fuca never materialized so we were forced to motor.

My brother in law (out for a visit from Michigan) received a lesson in the power of tidal currents as he guided our craft through Deception Passage. We cruised smoothly on the 6.2 current running in the narrows under the bridge. But on the east side where the water boils and eddies, he brought us too close to one of the eddies and lost control of the boat as the water took the 17,000 pound boat and gave her a tug. A bit of splash in the cockpit and a look of OMG on his face told the story... " I am sorry.... I had no idea... Are we OK?" It gave me a chance to use my favorite cautionary message about being on the water... "Just when you think all is well on the water and you let your guard down thinking I got this.. Neptune reaches up and gives you a reminder, You are a little boat on a vast ocean."

Well now for some more fun. Our last leg down the Saratoga Passage. Maybe we will get a breeze today, maybe a little rain. It is always great to be out on the water. May we have a mild fall so we can stretch this year out with a bit more cruising.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Fair wind and calm seas for the remainder of the trip. Too bad about the haze hope the Brother in Law can come again when conditions are better.

How is your home doing in the ash and smoke???

Oct 22, 2014
Getting dirty... The cars have a thin layer that is in need of constant washing.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi John, nice report. Certainly some strange looking sun and moon shots.

Reminds me of our return trip in 2015 through Gillard Pass. Following the flood south passed Devils Hole coming into Big Bay. Current trying to toss Belle-Vie around like a top. Really strong eddies and overfalls. Took quite a lot of effort just to keep her on course.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
"Post Labor Day" cruising. No white shoes? :biggrin:

Nice write-up, BTW.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We're out, too. Went up to Wallace Island, Conover Cove, the dock is usually full, but not on Wednesday night! Great blood red full moon. Great viewing, lousy damn smoke! Got up to light rain this morning. Cleared on our way home to Maple Bay. Going to a county fair tomorrow, off again on the boat on Monday or Tuesday for a week. Now that the hordes have disappeared, the anchorages should be "available" again. :)

May 20, 2016
Trish and I are going out for the day tomorrow. Then more maintence (head sink and faucet)

Les

Dec 25, 2000
Some of you heard about the Atlantic salmon farm eruption in Deep Water Bay on the south east corner of Cypress Island. Well, my boating buddy and I were in Eagle Harbor for several days shortly after this eruption. Since the harbor is but maybe three miles north, it fills up with...Atlantic salmon. I've never seen so many jumping fish. Fish and Wildlife were in and said, "no limit, catch as many as you want". Well, I don't fish, darn, but...

The next day Fish and Wildlife ordered the Lummi and Swinomish tribes to bring in their gill nets and get rid of them. Wow, what an operation. Tons of salmon were hauled out of that small harbor. During the day, not to miss out on the bonanza, I dinghy over to the head of the bay where one of the larger boats were pulling in their loaded nets and I ask if they could spare a fish? No problem, how many do you want? Just one would be sufficient. So he tossed a very nice 25 pounder into my boat. I thanked him, but then he said, "do you want two magnums of vodka that another boater gave them as a thank you?" They and I don't drink vodka, but to help them out I reluctantly take both off their hands. That is what a Good Samaritan does, eh? Must give Bloody Mary a try.

I ask if there is anything I can do in return as a thank you? Yes, some ice water would be nice. So that is what I bring back, a half gallon of ice cold water. Then it was the chore of scaling, gutting, filleting and freezing this beautiful fish. And what a beaut it was in color and texture. We cooked some up while out and it was as good as the Pacific specie.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
It is a wonder what can happen when you greet a fishing boat with a smile... Way to score Terry.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Well, we're on the hard knocking windows out and repowering. Can't wait til its done. I'm doing all the destruction and engine teardown along with large wire/batt removal. I can do all the work I want to to save $75/hr..Engine is supposed to show up around the 20th. (Beta 35/seaprop saildrive/J-prop)

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Mark - Would like to see your project if you would favor such a visit. If not that is fine.

I ask because I am doing similar work at Marine Servicenter.

Charles

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
No problem..Boat is at Emerald Marine just in front of the front door next to road. Emerald is across from North Hbr Diesel. I"ll be there at 10:00 for sure

Dec 25, 2000
An old adage to remember, measure twice cut once. Quite the chore in store...do well indeed.

May 20, 2016
Best luck Mark. Please report how the beta runs compared to your universal(?).
Les

Oct 22, 2014
Best wishes Mark. You'll have a new lady hidden under the skirt...

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We're off the front mounts and hanging! Disconnected from the saildrive but not yet separated. The flywheel is a good 80 lbs..That was fun! Just hoping theres no bolt between engine and saildrive at bottom center. That would take some ingenuity to access. Monday morning is the big day...
IMG_0189.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
So, I sorta hijacked this thread but it is after Labor Day...Finally got it out...we hung it off the blue beam and two of us hammered the chain down the beam to get it into the companionway. Then straight up!
IMG_0190.JPG