Portable hatch air conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Denise

Has anyone used the portable hatch air conditioner that Westmarine sells? We are thinking about it for our Catalina 310. Would it sufficiently cool a 310 and how noisy is it for those sleeping right below it in the v berth? Thanks!

P

Patrick Connor

Marine air

Denise, I used the very same unit that West Marine is selling to cool the main cabin and v-berth of my O'day 37 for 4 summers in DC and Virginia Beach. I did not cool the aft cabin on the boat. The volume I was cooling would be approximately the same as you want to cool. The unit did a fine job. It was positioned on a small hatch over the main salon. I had to use a small fan to circulate the air to the v-berth. It makes air flow noise comparable to a window unit in your home. I think it would be uncomfortable to have the air blowing directly on you when you are sleeping. The company makes a snap-on air deflector for the unit. The unit is a little awkward to handle. You should really have two people to handle it. I was using my boat as an apartment at the time and didn't have to move it often. I once saw a much less expensive alternative for temporary air. A guy had a standard window air conditioner mounted in the cockpit on a small table with rollers. He rolled it to the companionway hatch and used the regular hatch boards and some modified pieces to close it in. He simply rolled the air conditioner out of the way to go in or out of the hatch. I notice that you're in R.I. I sailed out of Newport for 8 years. Hopefully you won't need air for long periods. Sailing in FL I have a built-in marine air on my Cat 30 and I love it. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get AC power on the boat so I can use it at anchor in the summer--water temp 88f. Good luck!

B

Bob Long

GET COOL NOW

Hi Denise: We use the older version 5000 BTU carry on air conditioner on our C310. It is just adequite for the typical 85 to 95 F temps and 80+ RH in our area. The newer unit you are looking at is 7000 BTU rated and should work much better unless you are in Texas. Be sure to purchase the optional horizontal deflector. It is a must with the C310. We hang a rectangular fan in the window between the forward cabin and salon. Use two pieces of line and a bent stift wire in the shape of a small hook that slides through the latches catch holes that hold the window up. The fan helps blow cool air out of the forward cabin. This system works well. If you have the TV and invertor you can also use the small fan when at anchor to cool you when you can not use the AC, just reverse it. Stay Cool!

B

Bob

Try This One Out Denise

Denise Jump over to the "other sailors forum" and see my input on a new portable AC unit we saw last week. The responses were quite good. The portable AC unit is made by Haier America and sold at Target and elsewhere. Model HPM09XC5. It puts out 9,000 BTUs has an exhaust hose thats lets the hot air out. No condensation to worry about as the unit uses the exhaust heat to take care of that. Its AC powered and on wheels measures 31" high and about 17" wide and deep. It will fit nicely in the v-berth area of the 310. Other sailors stated it did very well on their boats. Here is whats great! It sells for $399.00. We are going to purchase one next week over the carry-on hatch mounted model you were referring to. Considering that this unit has 2,000 BTUS of greater cooling capacity and is $500 less, it may be worth your time to have a look. It can be seen on the Haier America website. I hope this helps. Bob 88' 30 Catalina

D

Denise

Thanks everyone!

Thanks so much for the great input everyone! Here's to staying cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.