portable generators

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
More people die from CO poisoning in homes than anywhere else. By the logic used here, no one should cook or heat their homes because it's too dangerous.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I seems that you may be a little low on battery capacity. Either you have too high of a draw on your battery bank or your batteries are dying. I would get a full charge on them at the dock and do a load test.

You can always increase your battery capacity to match your draw. When we anchor out we usually plan on running the engine for about 1 hr. a day to heat water and recharge the batteries.

Get those batteries checked before you proceed.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
We know that in order to keep sailing, we must keep the Admirals happy. Therefore, we must have the required electrical power for their necessities ( heat, A/C, hair drier, blender, coffee maker, etc. ). Battery power alone will not run all of the necessities. This post started out with a very good question. What are some recommend generators? I'm sure this vast audience of experts will have valuable information. Instead of telling us why we don't or shouldn't use a generator, please tell us your recommendations of models and capacities. Please also let us know if we can simply use an adapter to plug into the existing 30A shore power. Thanks

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I am amazed reading this that in the area of Eastern Long Island that I sail and anchor in, I cannot remember seeing or hearing a single portable generator all season. I have spent at least 24 nights at anchor with sometimes 20-30 boats anchored nearby. Maybe New York isn't so bad after all!

Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
Several have recommended the Honda 2000, one a Generac (I think, not going back to look it up) and several recommended upgrading alts and using main engine (noisy AND STINKY, assuming diesel). And many said don't do it. Me, I'd go with checking battery capacity, then using a Honda 2000. But I choose to run the main engine, mostly because my refrigerator is 120VAC and Motor Driven - so I run the engine for 1/2 hour twice a day to keep freezer frozen, and the 100 AH or so electricity and hot water are free. But a Honda 2000 would be Much quieter and less smelly. I'd have to run the Honda most of the day to keep the freezer frozen on 120VAC.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Instead of telling us why we don't or shouldn't use a generator, please tell us your recommendations of models and capacities. Please also let us know if we can simply use an adapter to plug into the existing 30A shore power. Thanks
The short end is that Honda makes the best portable generator. The 2000 is the most popular in use for size, weight and power considerations. It is water resistant (rain) and has a hardy plastic cover but it only puts out approximately 15A. If you have an A/C unit larger than 12,500 BTU you will need two generators to run in tandem. When you say generator and adapter it does not correlate with shorepower. You can use an adapter to connect the generator's output to the boat's A/C power inlet and run the power through your main panel, breaker switches and receptacles. This is just portable generators if you are looking for an inboard genset then I'm sure some of the other fellows can advise you.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Benny17441,

Thanks for the recommendation. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Now I can keep the heat on and sail through the winter. Keeping the admiral happy!