portable generators

May 20, 2013
Catalina 34 Berkeley, CA
First thing is to go through the current system (pun?) and be sure it is all up to snuff before spending on generators, solar or wind machines. Are the batteries good? Are they kept full and topped off frequently? Is the shorepower charger set properly? Weeks of incorrect dockside charging can affect battery life. Then there's the alternator and regulator system and associated belts.
If that's all good, begin to look for power hogs while on the hook. Still using incandescent lights? fans? If everything else checks out then perhaps a larger house battery... with correct charging system. IMHO a generator is for extending the voyage of a correctly adjusted battery system, not a patch for a broken system.

Mar 28, 2014
Catalina 30 Hyde Park NY
While being aware of the implications of running a portable generator on board namely noise (minimal with a Honda since it is very quiet), and ensuring I am sufficiently far separated from others, none have complained or shown displeasure.
The possibility of fumes, by positioning it on the stern and extending the exhaust pipe we have no fumes.
I have used a Honda 3000 for a number of years and only run it when required for the air conditioning, the remainder of electrical draw is more than taken care of by sufficient battery bank and inverter.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have used a Honda 3000 for a number of years and only run it when required for the air conditioning, the remainder of electrical draw is more than taken care of by sufficient battery bank and inverter.
W.r.t. air conditioning, I suppose that means you might run it for several hours a day, and into the evenings, on those days.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Once I was anchored in the Annapolis Harbor for the 4th. Next to a large catamaran that looked big enough to have an indoor generator. But they brought out two Hondas that they ran for about only an hour, then respectfully put away.

Maybe those of you who frequent Catalina might petition the harbor master (if there is one) to regulated generator use to a certain time frame and/or hour that all gens would run at the same time(s), for a designated length of time???

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Maybe I missed something but if anyone resents noise and anticipates a quiet weekend at Catalina, they are in the wrong place.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Maybe I missed something but if anyone resents noise and anticipates a quiet weekend at Catalina, they are in the wrong place.
That's why I'm no longer going there. The problem is that widespread accepted use of these devices means that one or more is coming soon to a location near you! Just try to asking some guy even 50 ft from you to please turn off the on-deck generator b/c it's interfering with your enjoyment of the place. How far do you think that will get? "Sorry, but my wife needs hot water for her shower." (And this is like an overnight trip for him.)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Hopeless Hopeless and if you think by complaining here is going to convince people
to not buy a portable Gen when everyone around them is already doing it than most you can do is relieve or vent it out of your own system.
Sorry but that is just the way things are in this world today,I remember when you could get away from the noise by pitching a tent in a area where there is no hookups at all and just the trees and wildlife and beautiful scenery and now all the tenters bring portable Gen and everything they can fit in their 4x4,if you backpack up into the mountains just maybe you can find piece and quiet.
I guess I gave up piece and quit a lot of years ago and now if I want to be alone than go off season and not weekends and that is the best I am going to get.
Good Luck
Nick

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I have an 87 Catalina 30. After fixing all my electrical issues (wiring, led lights, batteries, etc) I found that I can last just like I do when I charter in the bvi for two weeks. I just run the engine for a little while in the morning and a little while in the evening each day and I can go for a very long time on a single battery.
I have yet to need to use my reserve battery to start the engine unless I didn't run the motor to recharge the day or two before.

I do have a solar panel, but I don't think its big enough to not need to run the motor for an hour or two each day.

Sep 20, 2013
Islander 37 Seabrook, TX
Something is wrong with your charging system. Once you start your engine charging your electronics should come to life almost immediately, even with completely dead batteries. 0nce your system voltage is above about 10.5 volts most of the electronics should come to life (though they may not work as rated). A proper charging system should achieve this, even when charging dead batteries. Also if your battery voltage is below 10.5 volts (open circuit) it is unlikely you could start the engine. Check the charging system thoroughly! Remember that almost all electrical failures are because of problems with connections (although many of these failures may be in inaccessible places, like on a chip).

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Tadd, you are killing those batteries. Deep Cycle batteries have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles in them and discharging them below 50% of their rated capacity will significantly reduce that number shortening their useful life. I'm not a purist and have no qualms to deeply discharge a battery bank if the situation calls for it but will refrain if it is not necessary. Conduct an energy survey and size your bank appropriately to meet your needs. There is more than one way to "skin a cat" and rather than a large battery bank I use a portable gas powered generator to recharge batteries overnight as down here in Florida I need one anyways to run the air conditioner. The industry standard for marine use is the Honda EU 2000i. It is fairly light, as quiet as they come, fuel efficient, service and parts availability and extremely reliable. They sell for around $1,100. We set ours on deck to procure that CO emissions safely dissipate and have had nights where we have had drenching rains and it has kept on running as if nothing. It is nice to start with fresh batteries every morning. Their downside is a little noise, having to carry gasoline fuel which we do for the dinghy outboard anyways and the care about setting up and safely storing when underway (gasoline fumes as well as Propane are heavier than air and explosive in high concentrations). We have even devised an external fuel tank to extend the running time beyond the 5-6 hours the 1 gallon tank allows.

Sep 25, 2008
That's why I'm no longer going there. The problem is that widespread accepted use of these devices means that one or more is coming soon to a location near you! Just try to asking some guy even 50 ft from you to please turn off the on-deck generator b/c it's interfering with your enjoyment of the place. How far do you think that will get? "Sorry, but my wife needs hot water for her shower." (And this is like an overnight trip for him.)
I guess it could be argued that if portable generators are so ubiquitous, it follows that all those folks are using them to promote or enable their enjoyment. Why your enjoyment supersedes that of others is the question. Conversely, if generators are used by only a few boaters, it also follows that there would be little impact on others.

As to the 'industry standard' for marine use, there is no definitive generalization. However, in terms of use by amateur radio operators concerned with emergency or portable electrical and communications needs, it definitely is the go-to choice. Studies have compared the Honda 2000 series with competitor models in terms of spurious noise, purity of emissions, power purity, etc.... and the H is the clear winner.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I'd love to hear Mainsail's comment on this statement.:(?
I mean as portable generators go, after all we are talking about portable generators. Maine knows that here in Florida during the summer with Gulf water temperatures in the 90s, calm winds, with ambient temperatures of 93F-97F and humidity above 90% the only way we can enjoy boating is with the use of A/C when overnighting away from shorepower. Perhaps in California with cooler Pacific waters as well as in Maine there might not be a need for A/C but here is a necessity. Speaking about "portables" I have not seen a better unit than the Honda. I have used the 3000 and the 2000 and have looked at the Yamaha, Koreans and Chinese makes and see no better ones. Speaking about "portables" the great majority of boats here use Honda so I guess that qualifies them as "the industry standard for pleasure boat marine use". I would be willing to look at and consider any other units that you may recommend.

Jun 11, 2012
catalina 25 4295 mamaroneck, ny
Kudos to Ralph Johnstone on Island Hunter ( H 310) for leading you in the right direction. Also, to others for imploring that you NOT use a generator aboard , at anchor, mooring or in a slip.
You are experiencing either batteries that are unable ( old or damaged) to accept lots of electrons ( amps), or a regulator that can not give a bulk, absorption, float at the correct voltages or rates.

I have for over 25 years, run ALL the electronics and many, many accessories ( not a/c, microwave or hair dryer) using my high output charging system ( high output 120amp alternator, 3 step regulator, energy monitor/controller,and two AGM 4D's paralelled.) I need to recharge batteries once a day or every other day. Not a bad trade off. This doesn't spoil the bucolic anchorage for yourself or others. Hopefully we can all use alternative energy systems ( wind, solar) to supplement a high output charging system, and NOT go the generator route ( either the "quiet" Honda or a Panda in the engine room still has the exaust noise or drone in the anchorage).

Yes, the portable generator is easy, as is the factory installed ones, but those who wish peace and quiet at anchor or on a mooring need to speak up!! If some captains need so much power to be comfortable, then those captains should stay plugged in at the dock, in their home port!......or seriously explore alternative energy options.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think my point might be that no portable generator is built to "marine standards", even the Honda, etc. People don't care and use 'em anyway b/c they are much cheaper than the installation of a real generator built to marine standards, etc. Not that I'm too thrilled about those either; but at least they are down in the boat w/ the crew--so they can listen to the noise too.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Why your enjoyment supersedes that of others is the question.
If I go to an anchorage and swing on the hook a decent distance away from others, they are not affected by "my enjoyment." It's mine, or ours, (admiral and me) alone. We usually do not even have cockpit speakers on. Another boat sitting the same distance away running a generator, playing a radio outside, or leaving his dog on the boat to bark, bark, bark may indeed be enjoying his-- but now I get to "share it" unwillingly. I'm "invisible" to him; but he's a nuisance to me. It's sort of like, "your fist has to stop at the beginning of my nose." You're "enjoyment" has to stop at the beginning mine, period. Mine is not superseding anyone's; it's the other way around. No--one does not have license to come into a quiet stop and make a bunch of racket to satisfy his enjoyment at the expense of others, IMHO. Do something else, or go someplace else. Or, at the very least acknowledge to yourself that the guy in the boat over there has some expectation of a nice, quite, "stress-free weekend" as well. BUT--forget about this in Avalon or Two Harbors--it's too late there. No one should go there now with any expectation of a quiet weekend!! [Except maybe on the Cat Harbor (south) side anchored out by the entrance.]

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Suffice it to say there are divergent views on what constitutes infringing on the activity of others. Perhaps one reason for the disagreement is venue - here in Florida or any similar climate, swinging on an anchor or mooring is often intolerable without AC to mitigate the heat and humidity. Hondas running on the transom are ubiquitous here and no one minds or even gives it a second thought. And in winter, when all the northern transients descend upon us, they are the first to turn them on.

Inferring from some comments here that they behave differently at home in New England, the Great Lakes or the left coast, one wonders how they manage to maintain an existence aboard while afraid to distupt the tranquil beauty of their favorite hideouts.

also, to some, anchoring out may be synonymous with camping. To others, it is living aboard with the same comforts we enjoy at home but simply doing it in a different place. If either bothers anyone to the exclusion of their ability to enjoy themselves, I'm reminded of the words my parents taught us, 'get along'.

Jul 11, 2016
Serendipity 43 La Cruz Mex (Seattle reg.)
I don't recommend a generator; it's more equipment, more weight, more fuel, and noisy.

Let's see how to solve your problem. First of all you need to measure and understand what is happening.

1. You'll need a battery system monitor or some gauges so you can measure battery voltage, house amp usage, and alternator output. (Even without this existing problem you will find the information from these extremely useful). Maybe you already have a way to do this.

2. Measure the house usage. If the usage is 10 amps, then you use 240 amp/hour per day. You'll need measure the amp usage for each device, then calculate how many hours per day you use them, and add them all up. My boat uses about 150 amp/hours. (A key usage will be your refrigerator; this may be reduced by adding insulation or turning it off at night, or setting to a higher temperature).

3. Look at your house battery capacity. You can reasonably expect to use about 50% before the voltage gets too low (below 11.5). If you have two 165amp 12v batteries you'll get a total house amp/hour capacity of 330 amp/hours but you can only use about 165 amp hours.

4. Each day, when you use up the available battery, you'll have to recharge. Often boats will have difficulty going over 24 hours without re-charging. Or you need to add more batteries or reduce the daily load. Somehow you need to achieve a balance.

5. Measure the amp output , actually coming out of the alternator, and watch the pattern over time. With a good regulator your alternator should start at close to its rated amps and then run at 80% of its rated amps for an hour or two. You can calculate how many hours it takes to recharge your house battery bank.

What to other people do?

We charge our batteries with the main engine every day, and have done so for many, many years.

Our boat has 450 amp capacity house battery. We can go about 36 hours on a full charge. On a long weekend we need some help. We have two big solar panels which can be aimed to the sun and are usually shade free. We get about 60-80 amp/hours a day from the pair. With our daily usage of 150A/h we need to get another 90amps a day from the main engine (we have no gen-set). We have a 130amp alternator and a smart regulator. With this we need about 1 hour engine running per day. We do it just before cocktail time each day when the solar has tapered off.

When sailing we may need to run the engine longer because of the heavy electronics usage (chart Plotter, etc)

In cold climates we can run the engine less, often only every other day, because the cold water reduces the refer load.

Even if the batteries are low in the morning when we get underway the electronics will come up as soon as the engine is running, so if they don't for you, this is a charging or battery problem.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
To others, it is living aboard with the same comforts we enjoy at home but simply doing it in a different place.
Very nice, I'm sure; but, extension of this point of view widely might explain the rise of the 72-hr anchorages around FL and elsewhere over the past 15 to 20 yr that we all now have to deal with.

Sep 25, 2008
Very nice, I'm sure; but, extension of this point of view widely might explain the rise of the 72-hr anchorages around FL and elsewhere over the past 15 to 20 yr that we all now have to deal with.
Or it could be the derelict boats left unattended or abandoned but I doubt it's a reaction to using a generator, the noise from which is indiscernible above the ambient noise in Key West:thumbup: