Portable Generator

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
IF ya look at the electrical schematic of the Honda (and Generac and many others) the DC comes from a whole separate winding set inside the generator .. It is like a tiny, crappy, emergency only battery charger built into the main generator. The inverter generators are built to make 120V AC.. use that with your normal shoreside charger.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
" It is like a tiny, crappy, emergency only battery charger built into the main generator." This is the better answer "emergency only" than dont do it. The generators on our small outboards are "unregulated" and show an open circuit voltage higher than any battery voltage - but they work just fine at low current levels where you are not charging for very long. When connected to a battery, the outboard charging voltage becomes the same as the battery voltage. Or take a 5 watt (or any power) solar panel. It will show an open circuit voltage higher than any battery voltage but as soon as you hook it to a battery, it operates at the battery voltage. Just characteristics of a current source with an open circuit voltage higher than the load voltage. As in the quote.. no problem to use that source in an emergency but watch the battery voltage. Not to take away from the message that using the AC with a good quality battery charger is a huge better way to charge the batteries..

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Sure.. even with a small outboard you can over charge a battery. You just have to watch the battery voltage. Im not sure why solar charge controllers was brought up, I was just referring to how solar panels work (current source with an open circuit voltage) and sure you need a controller. My response was to this "Don't do it". The response that you can safely use that DC output in an emergency is more accurate, but you have to watch the voltage to make sure you dont over charge the batteries.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Walt, I don't disagree, but the number of skippers who don't know much about charging systems (i.e., the OP here, for example) precludes my having a comfort level when it comes to this. The reason for bring this up was simply to present yet another issue with unregulated charging.

And, for the most part, I'd guess that folks who have generators also have shorepower chargers.

If they do, and the choice is to use the 12V output or the 120V output, there shouldn't even be a choice.

Batteries are expensive, why risk it?

Nov 6, 2006
Slightly different subject.. a made in America inverter gen that is quieter than the Honda.. Nice looking unit.. I am not advertising, just wondering if anyone has tried one yet?
https://www.poweranywhere.com/

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Friends don't let friends buy Generac. Bad QC, worsterer Customer Service! Yes worsterer is an attempt at humor in a very non humorous situation. I'm waiting over a year for my propane generator to be replaced under warranty. They have the defective one, I have a claim ticket. Do Not Buy From Them.

Nov 6, 2006
I had a great experience with their customer service folks, Dom.. Bought a 2000 watt (continuous) inverter unit (iX 2000) from them a few years ago. A year after it was out of warranty, the inverter module spectacularly let its magic smoke out.. I was running a small chain saw with it and not close to its rated output.. I disassembled it and took a bunch of pictures and sent them a letter detailing the failure and how I did not expect that unit to have failed after only about 10 hours of run time.. Since the engine and alternator etc was not damaged I asked them for a new inverter module.. They promptly sent me a whole new generator..

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have had no problems for 10 years with a full house generator (propane 16KW) by Generac. What @kloudie1 didn't tell you is he bribed them with 10lbs of fresh Louisiana shrimp.;)
Jim...

May 3, 2011
Beneteau & Hunter First 435 & Hunter 37.5 Seabrook & Guntersville AL
Just a question since I was thinking of using one of the Hondas on my boat but I heard 3rd or 4th hand that the coast guard can issue you a ticket for using a portable generator on the water? Don't know if its true or not or just a local interpretation action but has anyone else run into an issue doing this?

Nov 6, 2006
James.. yes and a few cold Tin Roof beers ! ..
Have not heard of any rules that would preclude use of a portable generator ??

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Just a question since I was thinking of using one of the Hondas on my boat but I heard 3rd or 4th hand that the coast guard can issue you a ticket for using a portable generator on the water? Don't know if its true or not or just a local interpretation action but has anyone else run into an issue doing this?
Can you elaborate? Never heard of such a thing in SoCal. Of course "...can issue..." covers a lot of ground. I suppose if you were naked, drunk and waving a rifle around, they could cite you while running your generator. Maybe it's in a municipality with a sound ordinance at certain periods? Whatever... sounds pretty remote to me.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Don't know if its true or not or just a local interpretation action but has anyone else run into an issue doing this?
More likely USCG would look at the storage and safety of the fuel to run your portable generator on board.
Jim...

PS: I have a generator on board, albeit diesel, it still must meet their safety rules.

Mar 20, 2014
hunter 28 Tyler
The fact that another generator needs warranty repair again proves Honda is the gold standard

Nov 6, 2006
Note that the Generac I have was actually manufactured by the Jiangsu Tiger Yacht Manufacturing LTD. .. made in China.. The engine and alternator are very well built and robust.. The inverter module, which was probably outsourced, was the only failure. It looked like something in the potting compound made a gas pocket which exploded, blowing off one of the big electrolytic capacitors..(capacitor did not pop, it got blown off the board) The replacement module cost was about the cost of the entire unit .. I looked at several options before going to Generac with the failure.. and yes, I bought a Honda in the meantime.. The Generac is rated at 25% more power than the Honda is why I bought it. The inverter module in the Honda looks very much like the one in the Generac (may be an artifact of the Jiangsu having been reverse engineered from the Honda?).IMG_0097.JPG
Note that my Honda was built in Thailand ..

Last edited: