Portable Generator Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Installed reverse cyle A/C unit this spring, and plan to carry a Honda EU2000i generator during hot weather cruises to cool things down till the sun sets. Anyone else carry a portable generator on the boat, and if so where do you store it? I'm thinking of making a dedicated place in the cockpit locker, and adding a fume sniffer with the remote sensor in the bottom of the locker and the alarm unit in the cabin (along with a CO detector in the cabin, of course). The Honda generators seem pretty resistant to fuel leakage when the carburetor is drained, but I still feel that there should be some sort of fume detection. I plan to store my gas container on deck, secured under the helm seat (I store a small container of gas there now for the dingy motor). Anyone have thoughts or experience?

Apr 22, 2009
2 309 Ocean Springs
I had my a/c unit installed far aft in port locker. Thought this was good idea to free up space directly below the locker seat. I think Catalina factory install is directly under seat from a model I saw at a show. The problem though is that when I put my Genset, also a Honda EU2000i, in the locker along with other gear, I get an annoying list to the port side causing water to stand in the cockpit when anchored, and in slip. I thought going to bigger batteries (2 banks of 4D, plus starter battery on starboard) would counter this, but they are so close to the centerline they did not resolve the situation. I would like to install permanent box for mine too and am looking at the deep area beneath the starboard locker as an alternative, but have not worked out the details for best way to access the generator, but there does appear to be considerable space in there. Want it fully sealed and vented like you mentioned too. Hopefully, this will counter the a/c weight and level boat. Where did you install a/c unit?

Mar 20, 2007
I installed my A/C unit in the forward, deep part of the port cockpit locker. I considered putting it where yours is (seemed like a good use for otherwise wasted space), but it would have required the somewhat complicated construction of a flat platform glassed to the curvature of the aft hull, and the return air grill would have been pretty far from the fan. The space where the A/C unit is located is so deep, it really wasn't practical to store anything there that you wanted to reach without physically climbing into the locker.

After I upgraded by batteries to 2-4D's and a reserve Group 31, the boat had a slight list to starboard. The A/C installation corrected it a little, but it's pretty close to centerline so doesn't make that much difference. The generator will probably bring it more level when it's stored in the locker.

I just finished putting hinges and a barrel bolt closure on the screwed-on access panel (in the aft berth) to the starboard lazarette area, which actually makes it usable storage space. Haven't checked to see if the Honda would fit through the opening, but even if it did, it would be a bear to wrestle it out and drag it through the aft cabin and up on deck. Think I'll stick with the port locker idea!

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
John, I am considering a portable generator, ala the Honda 2000, but am concerned it doesnt have enough juice for the AC startup wattage requirement. Does it work okay with your AC and how many BTUs do you have?

Harry

Mar 20, 2007
There's a pretty extensive discussion of this over on SailNet, and the consensus is that an EU2000i can comfortably start and run a 16000 BTU unit, as long as the "Eco Throttle" switch is turned off. My A/C is a Mermaid 16 K. Haven't tried it on the generator yet (just got the generator), but should work ok - I'll let you know.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
J in Mississippi, FYI The C-309 is very sensitive to listing to port with weight in that port locker. Some early models would list with the locker empty, mine is #20 and I would get 1-1 1/2" of water in the cockpit since mine also had a bow down attitude with the water tank full. I'm in Seattle so I had water there 85% of the time. I don't know what Catalina did on later models to solve the problem but on mine they put 200# of lead in the starboard aft area and another 100# outboard of the batteries. The first 3 C-309's in this area all had the same problem. I do not have A/C or a generator but if I did I would have to add more weight to the starboard side to level it out again. Like John S. I put hinges on that access panel and it makes it nice and easy to get into that aft space. Good luck with your A/C, Gen situation. Bob C309 #20

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks John, the Sailnet discussion was very helpful. I look forward to your experience when you fire it up, also how you will configure the fume sniffer.

Mar 20, 2007
I installed a Xintex 2-channel gas/propane detector a couple of weeks ago. One sensor is mounted in the lowest point of the cockpit locker where I plan to store the generator, and the other is in the aft bilge where I'd expect any gasoline (or propane) fumes to settle. The monitor head and alarm is located on the midship end of the galley sink counter where it can be seen and heard from anywhere in the cabin, as well as from the cockpit. I also have a high bilge water alarm mounted in the same location. Finally, I installed a Xintex carbon monoxide detector and alarm in the main cabin, on the starboard headliner.

I'll let you know how the Honda works out in the next couple of weeks. I'll also snap and post a few pictures of the monitor.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I have a cruisair 12,000 btu A/c that the honda 2kw will not start (will run the blower, but a/c kicks out when pump tries to start). Anyone who has actually used a honda to run their A/C? Do you need some sort of soft start system?

Mar 20, 2007
Just tried the Honda EU2000i with my Mermaid 16K BTU A/C. It started fine and cooled the cabin from 85 down to 75 degrees without a hitch. Once the compressor kicked on, it ran without any problem on the Eco-Throttle setting, though I didn't let the compressor attempt to cycle on that setting. The Mermaid units draw less amperage and have a lower starting surge than the Cruiseair, according to specs, so your mileage may vary.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
That's great. And without the smart-start? I am going to take the plunge and buy the propane adapted Honda. Thanks John

Status
Not open for further replies.