Porta-potty comparison, Sealand vs. Thetford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

I owned a SeaLand porta-potty that has served us well in the past 3 years sailing with my family. It does fantastic job sealing ordor and separates clean water upper tank from lower grey water tank. The only problme we experience is the bellows. My two young girls find it is difficult to apply suffcient downward force on the bellows to flush. Also, the bellows crack at the pleated section and made it impossible to repair. Thetford uses piston style pump for flushing. Does anyone have experience with this brand? Is it easier to operate then SeaLand's bellows? Not having pleated section, is the piston pump more durable? Are there any other brand or desings I should consider? Thanks

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28 Boothbay
Piston is better than bellows

I have experience with both types. I think the piston type is better, however, it is vulnerable to breaking when in the up position. You need to make sure that when the piston is up that you don't use it as a grab rail and snap it off when the boat heels (like I did). The bellows are OK for a while but do have a tendancy to break. The last one we had lasted about 5 years. The piston one only lasted a seaon and a half!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Sounds like a trade-off

Thetford is easier to use, but less durable..SeaLand is harder to use, but more durable. Both are about the same price, but IMO the SeaLand is better quality...it's unusual for the bellows to crack in under 5 years, in fact most last much longer. So maybe the answer is, help the girls flush till they get a little older and a little stronger. That might also help the bellows last longer if their struggles are putting pressure on it a direction that puts pressure in the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.