Port tack heel

May 25, 2012
Hunter 33 Bay Shore
re: 2005 Hunter 33

When I heel on a port tack I get water in the Head, not the bowl but the bathroom. It does not happen on a starboard tack. It is not coming from the vanity - the seacock is closed. It appears that it is coming from behind the outer wall panel on the starboard side of the boat. I have to place towels behind the head, next to the head and under the navigation desk. Sometimes when I get into my slip these towels are soaked. My marina cannot figure it out. Does anyone have an idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? Thank you.

Mike J
sv Ripple

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Picture of the hull on the port side outside of the head might help.
When on the Port tack are you burying the rail in the water/ water splashing on the port deck? Could be a leaking Chain-plate, or a lifeline stanchion, Maybe the rail, a deck fitting, or jib/Genoa track? Maybe there is a through hull on the side and the hose is leaking water when it splashes against the hull.
You could also have water in the deck near the mast and when you are on port tack it finds it way to the place where it is leaking inside.
Photos of your deck, can help. Also you can stand on the deck and see if there are any places that feel spongy.
Leaks are a curse.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Any pictures/layout drawing may help people figure it out faster.

You might have a small deck leak from a chainplate, jib track, etc.. that is working its way down to an area that won't drain unless you're heeled. First sail of the spring we often get a bit of water in the bilge when heeled over as some water that was trapped works its way free.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Cashier drain wihout a vented loop ? Look for any thru hulls on that side where there is either a missing or clogged vented loop?

Just some ideas

Do let us know what you figure out

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
MikeJ, why do you think it only happens on a port tack? The head on a 2005 H33 is the only place where the outer hull is visible from the interior. Could you not be getting water from almost anywhere and it would find its way into the head when on a port tack? The thruhulls are an obvious first place to look, so I'm guessing you've covered that. Your yard has looked at it and come up with nothing, so no cracks in the hull on the starboard side, given under the rubrail.
This is seawater not freshwater, right?
Jssailem makes a good point about checking the deck for soundness. You've also checked your propeller shaft bushing?
The vented loops in the plumbing, as suggested by vhoisington sounds like a good place to look, also.
Keep us posted, we want to know the answer to this mystery. Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

meb135

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 33 Shediac Bay
MikeJ21
The anti-siphon valve for your head intake in located behind that wall. There's a plastic connector that forms the loop and 2 sections of hose connect to it. you may have a leak in that connection and when you are heeled over on port, the water is able to come in through the leak. To get to that connection, you need to remove that little box on top of the storage compartment in the rear cabin.

Edit: Your shower sump pump discharge is also located in that same area and could also be the source of your leak. It's accessed at the same location as mentioned above.

Marc

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It sounds like you might have water in between the hull and the liner. Under this scenario there must a spot on the starboard side liner that is lower than on port, and is allowing water to spill over the top of the liner and into the head compartment.

May 25, 2012
Hunter 33 Bay Shore
Thank you all for your insight.
I cannot believe that it is a chainplate type of leak due to the amount of water. Remember, I can get three hand towels soaking wet. I'll have to double check whether it is salt of fresh water? To be honest I really never checked. I definately, feel it is behind the wall so a vent loop or anti-siphon valve could be it. The next issue is how to get the marina to step up and look into this. I will email the marina with a summary of your thoughts. Again, thank you all and I will keep you posted on the results.

Mike J
sv Ripple

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Could it be rain water puddling somewhere and running out when heeled?

Ken

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I like JD’s hypothesis. Something similar came to my mind as well. Confirm that it is seawater. Dry the bilge completely. Haul the boat over to a stb heel while in the slip by pulling from the main halyard and extended boom. See what happens. If nothing, flood the bilge w/ fresh water, see what happens then; try heeling to port side if nothing happens there. Water may enter there (port side) and run over to stb and out when you’re on port tack. If nothing, report back.;)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018
hunter 27 tall menominee marina Michigan
my port tack heel leak was due to a burst exhaust hose right at the thru hull,,the water was running down thru the shell and spills over at the head,,,

Attachments

Sep 25, 2018
yup, I did a visual inspection of the starboard locker,,not a friendly space for a large frame person,,,it wasn't until I crammed myself fully in the locker and checked the hoses with my hand that I found the wires poking thru the hoses,,the hand is better than the eye,, ouch,,,thats when I noticed the collapsed fuel vent hose,,,then I had to get out of the locker, DO NOT grab the deck drain hose fitting,,DAM it broke off,,,,

pfaffk

Mar 4, 2011
Hunter 290 Haverstraw
I have a Hunter 290 and I have also been chasing a leak with water also found in the port head on the floor. I finally figured out, at the end of the season that it was old leaky exhaust hose, which I will have replaced in the spring

Sep 25, 2018
I have a Hunter 290 and I have also been chasing a leak with water also found in the port head on the floor. I finally figured out, at the end of the season that it was old leaky exhaust hose, which I will have replaced in the spring
was it right at the thru hull????,,,It was fairly easy to remove,,,takes two people, or jump in and out of the locker and engine compartment about 4-5 times,,,feeding the hose thru bulkhead,,removing the engine compartment panels and insulation was a pain,,but the muffler and the 6 ft of hose slides right thru,,the screws for the muffler support board come out easy if you used a stubby phillips and a vice-grip,,,I'll be using hex-head,lag screws when it goes back together. I need 6 feet of hose ,,times 12-14/ft,,,75-80 dollar fix,,,,glad I stayed close to shore during my shakedown cruises,,the port tack leak was very excessive and like most all others, "chasing leaks"...

Attachments

Dec 28, 2014
Hunter 280 Mandeville, LA
Will, no - fold down open transom, the noise comes from a pin in the mounting bracket

WKW

Jun 5, 2013
Oday 22 Candelwood lake
Hellooooooooo?????? Amazing how we get such intriguing mysteries and then the dudes just drop off the face of the earth. Another thing is this guy is talking about the modern 2005 Hunter 33 only 7 years old at the time of issue...not the old classic plastic 33....big difference than what some of you have.