Port side storage access / use.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Ok so the port side area (other than the fuel shelf) on the older 22's is a huge cavern of empty nothin. Not to easily accessed without wedging myself in the bulkhead. What do you seasoned owners use this space for, any suggestions as I lay out all the gear locations would be awesome.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
good question, yea, tough to access so I put less commonly used stuff down there, fishing poles, tackle box, bucket of spare parts, extra sails, extra anchors, extra life jackets, etc., some of it I tie a paracord line to drag it out aft...wish there was another laz locker lid forward of the one aft. Some stuff gets pulled out forward behind the aft dinette cushion...ymmv

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
We have a new style model so it has an external fuel locker, unlike the the older models.
But that makes it harder to access since you can't get into it from the cockpit. On our boat you will find, paddles+inflatable raft+air pump, extra life jackets, etc. Anything we don't use all the time.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Plastic totes are a godsend. We have some down the starboard settee area under the cockpit, in various lockers, and on the port side area under the cockpit, furthest to the stern.

The new design has a wood divider panel just aft of the table seating area. It supports the seatback, when the table is configured as a bed. That makes it a bit of a hassle to crawl back into that space, but it did give me the idea of possibly making some additional panels and creating a series of storage "bins" with a continuous flat cover all the way to the stern.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Boat is still in storage, but here's an image I found online of a new style C22.

The rear "dining table" cushion sits against a removable wood seat back panel, and is held to the fiberglass, at the top, with 3 snaps.
The wood panel rests against the fiberglass surrounding it.
To access the area under the port cockpit, you simply unsnap the cushion and lift the wood panel out of the way.
This is the only way into that space with the new design C22.

Online photo showing the rear cushion and wood back support panel removed:

When you convert the table into a sleeping berth, the wood panel is laid flat with the cushion on top.
The rear of the seat back panel is supported by a short vertical wood bulkhead.

Visualize pivoting that rear cushion straight backwards & laying flat and you should have the idea.
When sleeping, your feet extend into this area.

Access is ok, but the vertical bulkhead can make it a pita to crawl into the space.
I'd like devise a way so that the seat back panel can be secured in place so that I can crawl into it easier. (or make an attached flat panel that extends further back)
hard to explain without a photo... :(

Original C22 boats have a fixed panel behind the rear dinette cushion with a hole/door in it. (instead of it being fully removable)
Could that panel be made fullly removable ?
Based on videos I have seen, it looks like you could do it without issue.
That would make for much easier access from inside the boat.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Unfortunately this doesn't help @Grotto much. Then again, nothing will. That cavern is an almost-total waste, especially on original design boats. It got a little better on the new design, at least you have the compartment shown, and less hassle reaching in there. Still, though.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Maybe dividing the original design's space just forward of the section accessable from the cockpit would help, in addition to making the interior panel removable.
Depends on what you use it for.

Our paddles, boat hook , inflatable, and extra life jackets live there. Large rarely used stuff.

The starboard area is nice and flat so plastic bins work well, while still allowing additional storage under the cushion. That's one reason I wonder about making the port side a similar setup.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Exactly. And toward the end of a long cruise, it holds empty wine bottles, dirty laundry, bagged garbage, etc.

One more pic:

Aha! There it is tx, some line keeps and extra sheets go on the “wall” boat hook poles etc bin for fenders on the fuel shelf. Flaked sails ( when dry) do want to hinge the bulkhead for something a bit more open. Might glass in a bulkhead for the lazerette, and make it a dedicated fuel storage.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
glass in a bulkhead for the lazerette, and make it a dedicated fuel storage.
That would be a worthwhile project. Many have thought about it/talked about it, but few have done it (none, that I have seen or spoken to personally). I think the folks here would love to pics if you decide to tackle that!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Exactly. And toward the end of a long cruise, it holds empty wine bottles, dirty laundry, bagged garbage, etc.

One more pic:

Is this area accessible from the cockpit, or only from the cabin?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Is this area accessible from the cockpit, or only from the cabin?
That depends on the model year.

Original design C22 (@Grotto boat) = cabin and cockpit (the space is one open area)
new design C22 = cabin only (they have a sealed fuel locker at the stern instead of access from the cockpit. You can see it in @Gene Neill photo, as the fiberglass box section to the left rear of the photo )

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
That depends on the model year.

Original design C22 (@Grotto boat) = cabin and cockpit (the space is one open area)
new design C22 = cabin only (they have a sealed fuel locker at the stern instead of access from the cockpit. You can see it in @Gene Neill photo, as the fiberglass box section to the left rear of the photo )
@Grotto ,

If your boat has the access from the cockpit, I would use this space to store all of my life preservers and extra dock-lines/running rigging. You could also store your bumpers there when not in use.

I store all of my life vests in bags in my starboard lazarette. that makes them easy to get to in an emergency, and keeps them out of the cabin.
life vest bag.jpg

I thought about moving my extra lines there, but have not needed the space in the hanging locker in my quarter berth where they are stored now. Adding a couple of stainless organizers like the one below makes storing extra lines and bumpers easy.

Line Organizer Rack $13.31
Organizer Rack.jpg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Might glass in a bulkhead for the lazerette, and make it a dedicated fuel storage.
for our < 86, I've given serious thought to this, but that limits access to the port side space thru the aft dinette only, troublesome v. dual access fore thru dinette and aft thru port laz locker...and creates same condition as 86> models...

So at this point I'm more leaning toward some sort of stern fuel built-in, center of cockpit, under the tiller, shelf on top for drinks, ventilated, etc., someone here did that in the past....maybe I'm odd man out, but leaning that direction...tbd....fwiw