Port San Luis

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Good Morning, John

Thanks for the analysis. Today is forecast as the biggest wind day; looks good next week. I’m not planning on leaving or changing location soon. So as long as there’s no big winter-type weather rolling in from the south/southeast, the wind direction does not affect near-term travel plans.

I’ve been many times to Avila Beach/Port San Luis, just never by boat from Long Beach! But it’s like as if it is brand new. The first time and place my toe touched the Pacific Ocean was in 1966 just a couple hundred meters from where I now lay at anchor aboard me yacht!!

Here is the kind of transient anchorage boaters dream of, but for the cool weather. It’s spacious with hardly any other boats (so far). The two other sailboats are far from me. The fishing vessels further still and they usually don’t stay long. It’s very scenic. No boats with noisy generators, or otherwise, crowding me; threatening to swing into me or vice-versa. It’s well protected from the prevailing spring and summer weather. There is good holding at shallow depths not too close to the beach, e.g., 20 to 30 ft.

There are Port services available such as fuel (diesel and gasoline), water, ice, showers, laundry, & pump out, etc., including a couple of bars on the business pier, but they are all far from me. Several minutes’ ride by dink. Oh yeah, a fresh fish market too. Free harbor trolley will on weekends take you to town (Avila Beach), and further still to Shell Beach and Pismo Beach for stores. Enterprize in San Luis Obispo will even pick up here, and take you to their car rental store if you needed one.

There is a large area for day sailing near in San Luis Obispo Bay which lies mostly in the lee of the headlands that protect us in here. There are destinations outside of that not far. Morro Bay at approximately 20 n.mi.; San Simeon at approximately 30; however, they are generally up wind. So, a BIG day if sailing.

The downside is that the water is too cold for “normal folks” like most of us to swim in. (But, kids are hopping in at the beach!) So, I won’t be using my swim step. The mornings are usually cool with some low clouds and/or fog. This all clears by noon leaving 8 more daylight hrs of often sunny skies. It’s blue out there right now (0600 PDT), however! The most unusual morning of the past few days.

KG
P.S. Forgot to mention. Very good public radio station that plays an interesting variety of musical genres, especially in the evening. Good reception. I’m diggin’ it.:dancing:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Good Morning, John

Thanks for the analysis. Today is forecast as the biggest wind day; looks good next week. I’m not planning on leaving or changing location soon. So as long as there’s no big winter-type weather rolling in from the south/southeast, the wind direction does not affect travel.

I’ve been many times to Avila Beach/Port San Luis, just never by boat from Long Beach! But it’s like as if it is brand new. The first time and place my toe touched the Pacific Ocean in 1966 was just a couple hundred meters from where I now lay at anchor aboard me yacht!!

Here is the kind of transient anchorage boaters dream of, but for the cool weather. It’s spacious with hardly any other boats (so far). The two other sailboats are far from me. The fishing vessels further still and they usually don’t stay long. It’s very scenic. No boats with noisy generations s, or otherwise, crowding me; threatening to swing into me or vice-versa. It’s well protected from the prevailing spring and summer weather. There is good holding at shallow depths not too close to the beach, e.g., 20 to 30 ft.

There are Port services available such as fuel (diesel and gasoline), water, ice, showers, laundry, & pump out, etc., including a couple of bars on the business pier, but they are far all from me. Several minutes’ ride by dink. Oh yeah, a fresh fish market too. Free harbor trolley will on weekends take you to town (Avila Beach), and further still to Shell Beach and Pismo Beach for stores. Enterprize in San Luis Obispo will even pick up here, and take you to their car rental store if you needed one.

There is a large area for day sailing near in San Luis Obispo Bay which lies mostly in the lee of the headlands that protect us in here. There are destinations outside of that not far. Morro Bay at approximately 20 n.mi.; San Simeon at approximately 30; however, they are generally up wind. So, a BIG day if sailing.

The downside is that the water is too cold for “normal folks” like most of us to swim in. (But, kids are hopping in at the beach!) So, I won’t be using my swim step. The mornings are usually cool with some low clouds and/or fog. This all clears by noon leaving 8 more daylight hrs of often sunny skies. It’s blue out there right now (0600 PDT), however! The most unusual morning of the past few days.

KG
P.S. Forgot to mention. Very good public radio station that plays an interesting variety of musical genres, especially in the evening. Good reception. I’m diggin’ it.:dancing:
Man, that sounds inviting!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The fishing fleet of maybe six vessels left this morning after spending two nights at anchor here in the harbor. Probably a good sign that the conditions are moderating offshore. Been benign in here. Still sunny skies. Baro 1015, T 75 deg F, RH 44%, ☀. The Milky Way was as clear last night as I’ve seen it at Santa Cruz Island:). A couple of sea otters were foraging near me last evening. Something not many cruises see this far south, or further down the CA coast where they are no longer seen at all :cool:. Something else I learned. There is a nude beach probably less than a mile from me spot here :shhh:. Warm, sunny Saturday? College town area? Hummm. Could be interesting :wink3:.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That sounds like the California weather they show in the travel brochures.

Looks like the weather is following the pattern we looked at yesterday. You may have a couple of days before you see a barometer change.
Wind patterns suggest nice 8-10 Saturday afternoon. Then Calm setting in till Tuesday afternoon when you’ll get that desired 8-10 NW breeze you want to ride back towards home.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That sounds like the California weather they show in the travel brochures.
Wind patterns suggest nice 8-10 Saturday afternoon. Then Calm setting in till Tuesday afternoon when you’ll get that desired 8-10 NW breeze you want to ride back towards home.
Might still be here for a while beyond that. But, yeah, that would be the ticket home! (BTW. Check out my update above.)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
KG I like the possibility to dream.

My wife, a few years ago unknowingly, suggested we walk on the beach. She broke out the map and directed us to Black beach. We walked down the trail watching the ultralights and parasailers leaping off the cliff on our way to the beach.

About 50 paces thru the dunes up jumps a guy of about 80. Proud of his birthday suit attire. My mind went to the “doesn’t the Emperor know he has no clothes?” But I soon realized that we were the only clothed persons on the beach. None of the beach goers were less than 65.

So be careful what you imagine.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think I saw that same guy, only then he was about 55! I was dreaming more along the lines of what one sees around the beach at St. Kilda in Melbourne, AU. I remember I had to keep my eyes looking down so not to step on anyone!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Evidently much, if not all, of the fishing fleet is fishing chinook salmon; a.k.a. King salmon. Best spring season’s run of the past two decades. Lots of $$$ being made locally here with early-season prices I’m told. Fleet is probably operating out of Morro Bay. I’ll get some soon. One of me favorites.

P.S. I also saw a big load of California halibut the other day being brought in to the fish market.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Calm seas, blue sky—saw the sunrise. Morning sounds are the whistle buoy directing you to safe harbor, some barking sea lions, and ashore, one distant canine for a few minutes. Nothing motorized is heard so far. No 6 am shouting rowers buzzing my stern! Is this really a harbor, an “Urban Anchorage?”

Good question. It lies inside of the COLREGS demarcation. There is a Special Anchorage nearer the Port facility where all of the boats are on moorings. Being in a Special Anchorage under Inland Rules, they display no anchor lights or shapes. Out here, we are still in the Port but in a general anchorage area; therefore, are obliged to show lights and shapes. The PSL Harbor Patrol patrols this area as well as the Special Anchorage. Here is a good example of when boats in a mooring field inside a Special Anchorage do not need to display lights, but other boats anchored nearby, not in the Special Anchorage, do. A topic of repeated discussion at SBO. The fishing boats that anchor near here all do show anchor lights. Of the three other boats, sailboats, two have been showing, the other not.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It’s an amazing 71 deg F here in the anchorage this early evening. No bugs now but earlier some kelp flies. Three or four knots of wind from the north. Some light clouds but can easily see the waxing gibbous moon high above, plus some stars. I’m the only boat in here! Astonishing. The only discernible sound over the stereo is the surf rolling on to Avila Beach about 0.2 n.mi. distant. Listening to mandolin/fiddle and “Siren” song. Lovely. This calls for some Tawny Port.:) Mollie O’Brien on just now.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
That sounds, and I imagine, was a enjoyable evening.
I do dislike kelp flies. Especially the nasty itchy bite marks they leave.
The sounds of surf, music to my ears.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That sounds, and I imagine, was a enjoyable evening.
I do dislike kelp flies. Especially the nasty itchy bite marks they leave.
The sounds of surf, music to my ears.
As far as my experience, these flies don’t bite. They just annoy by lighting on your skin or hair, etc., and then crawling around. The way I’ve controlled them in the past is by pretending to start a scientific study where I needed to collect a lot of them. So, when they discover I’m after THEM, they mostly stay away!:rolleyes: They are not a problem at night.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Our stop in Belize had what ever flying light on my ankles and bite. I had red dots ring around my ankles. Itch... I think that is why pirates say Arrrggg. Then scratch.

Have you visited the shore? Do not remember much in the area. Very nice in Monterey.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Our stop in Belize had what ever flying light on my ankles and bite. I had red dots ring around my ankles. Itch... I think that is why pirates say Arrrggg. Then scratch.

Have you visited the shore? Do not remember much in the area. Very nice in Monterey.
Probably not much kelp in Belize, so likely not ours of the west coast. Yeah, I’ve gone ashore but not far. Just to the Harford Pier and local bar hangout, Mersea’s. But I’ve been all over these shores prior. SCUBA diving and beach camping in my late teens and early 20’s, mostly between Cayucous and Shell Beach which is a couple of miles from here. That would include Atascadero State Beach, Morro Bay State Park, & Montana de Oro State Park, plus diving in Monterey Bay at the park there since you mentioned it. That was long before the Monterey Bay Aquarium and all of that appeared on the scene there.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Back when Steinbeck was writing about the fishing pier? :laugh:

I spent 20 plus years with a client in the area (the old Fort Ord) Always an enjoyable visit. Back in the 60’s had an uncle who lived in Carmel. If you stand on the church porch and look East there is a natural area across the road that stretches up to the surrounding hills. My Uncle Bob acquired that with his Maritime Seaman funds. When he passed, he bequeathed it to the Community as a park as long as they did not let an development occur. Fortunately, the last time I was there they were resisting the temptation to build.

I’ll have to stop at Mersea’s next time I visit the area. Good Beer and eats?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Well, it’s very much a “bar menu”dominated by sea food selections, as you might expect. Though it wouldn’t really be my first choice for a special “full dinner out” with the Admiral, the food is good. They serve Manhattan clam chowder which we like, in addition to the New England version. The other night, a great ciopinno w/garlic bread special for under $20! There’s a good selection of draft beers, including IPA’s, which changes. Sunday there was a “tap take-over” by the Santa Maria Brewing Company. So, all locally-produced brews—I ran the table!:beer:Also, good cocktails—dynamite Cadillac Margarita. Great bartenders, servers & greeters; everybody really nice. Almost like being back in Canada! It definitely does have a local following. It’s on the pier facing the harbor, so great views.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Dense fog in and out this morning. I had me anchor bell imitation (feature of my loud hailer) ringing a couple of hours ago when I could not even see the beach only a thousand or so feet distant. Hoisted a second radar reflector, Davis Echomaster, in addition to the Plastimo tubular version attached just below the upper starboard spreader. Not cold at 68 deg F, Baro 1018.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Manhattan clam chowder which we like, ...... The other night, a great ciopinno w/garlic bread special for under $20!
Oh my mouth waters. Have not tasted a good Manhattan Clam Chowder for years.