Port Pottie Blues

CJRoxs

Jun 13, 2014
Catalina 250WB Portland
I'm sure there will be a lot of puns in this thread but here it goes (no pun intended).

My porta pottie has a smell. I emptied it and rinsed it. Put a new chemical pack in the holding tank with a little H20. Since we have used it a little there is a strong smell whenever you open the lid. I then tried adding a different holding tank chemical and still no relief. I know a porta pottie shouldn't smell like this. I haven't had a boat with a porta pottie before, it's always been a marine head with no issues.

Is there something I'm missing?

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I would try a vinegar and water solution in the tank and let it sit. I think some of those chemicals made for porta potties smell worse than the crap. If that doesn't work, bleach should do the trick...if not, I believe it's time for a new one.

CJRoxs

Jun 13, 2014
Catalina 250WB Portland
I will try the vinegar and/or bleach rinse. However, the pottie didn't smell after I rinsed it. Only once the chemical was added and it was used. The O-rings don't leak. How much water should be in the tank before using? I covered the bottom.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
What brand of chemicals did you try? I've been using the West Marine stuff and I don't like the smell either. Would bleaching kill what ever good bacteria is suppose to be working? Don't know just throwing that out there. Why is it that airline toilets smell so fresh?
Sure miss Peggy.

Planning trip to Catalina for fourth of July, I'll stop by the RV store to day and ask them.
Get back to you.

CJRoxs

Jun 13, 2014
Catalina 250WB Portland
First I put in a Camco TST Blue Enzyme Toilet Treatment Drop-In pack, then I put in Odorlos holding tank chemical. Putting bleach in with the chemical would kill the good and bad. Also, I don't believe the smell is a chemical smell.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
First I put in a Camco TST Blue Enzyme Toilet Treatment Drop-In pack, then I put in Odorlos holding tank chemical. Putting bleach in with the chemical would kill the good and bad. Also, I don't believe the smell is a chemical smell.
I find the Thetford EcoSmart works well and smells pretty good.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I find the Thetford EcoSmart works well and smells pretty good.
Good, that's what the guy at the RV store suggested. It is the one they use in their rentals. He also recommended the powder because there is less chance of spilling it. He also said that it is only good for 8 days after that I may need to add more.

Thanks Alan for the re-affirmation.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Be careful mixing various chemicals together! Bleach can cause some serious problems as well as ammonia. Chief

CJRoxs

Jun 13, 2014
Catalina 250WB Portland
I think I figured it out. Seems I need some training. Apparently a porta potti is not the same as a head.:D

Recently I learned that it's not a good idea to leave it until it is full or until winterizing. :eek:

Also, after reading the direction on the chemical, I guess I need to put more then a cap full in. ;)