Por 15: What are the pros and cons?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I am embarking on recoating and repainting my iron keel. I have been reading about Por 15. Seems promising. Anyone with experience with this? Can it be painted over with Interlux 2000? Any drawbacks?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I painted my keel with it. Have yet to paint over it. I have seen others that have with decent results. Prep is key as always.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I have not had a chance to use it on boats.
I have used it on old cars when doing restorations.
Cures with moisture.
Sticks well to rough surfaces...Doesn't stick well to smooth surfaces.
Flows out well and is nice and shiny.
Turns grey when exposed to UV over time.
Paint will not stick to it once it is cured.
Trick is to put primer on it before it fully cures. (Or sand so the primer can stick)
VERY BAD FOR LUNGS. DO NOT SPRAY WITHOUT FRESH AIR FEED REPIRATOR.
Won't come off skin.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have used it to repaint parts of my engine and raw water pump brackets. A leaking seawater pump will do a number on the surrounding metal in short order. After repairing my pump so it no longer leaked, I wire brushed all the rust areas on my engine and used POR-15. I then put matching engine enamel over it. That was 7-8 years ago and it looks perfect now.

The only drawback is that it is a multi-step process and you must complete the process at one session. But I highly recommend it for refinishing engine surfaces.
Iron keel? I have no clue how it would work. Sorry.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I wire brushed all the rust areas on my engine and used POR-15. I then put matching engine enamel over it. That was 7-8 years ago and it looks perfect now.
I did what Rich suggested using POR-15, per his guidance. We both have the same Volvo Penta engine. My engine looks show room perfect like his does, now.:)

POR-15 is a chemical bond to the exposed metal, best I can tell. Thus the final coat bonding, but it is not under water.
Perhaps a test spot this time, might tell you more.
Jim...

PS: Ask them https://www.por15.com

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I used this on a rusty section of my iron keel where it meets the hull 2 years ago. After applying used only ablative bottom paint. Everything perfect still. Will do rest of keel today n coming years.

Good luck
Greg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I used it. Rust still came thru. If you can't get your keel down to shiny metal before you use it, this system does not work.

4arch

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Baltimore
I have had better luck with Pettit Rustlok Steel Primer 6980.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
POR-15 is a chemical bond to the exposed metal, best I can tell.
It is a mechanical bond. When used on new smooth metal it will come off in large sections later. I have seen this happen a few times on the fender arches on new body panels on cars.

It is simply a moisture cure paint so it mechanically bonds to the rough rusty surface and uses the moisture in the metal and in the air to harden. It attempts to seal any future moisture out.

Por15 is not the only paint like it. There are other brands that are the same thing.

There are other similar paints that would be a better option for water immersion
If I were you, I would look into using Rust Bullet paint for water immersion.

They specify marine use (in addition to other applications) and have test results/data, unlike por15 and similar paints.

Rust bullet, depending on the type you use, can be much thicker than normal paint.
In my experience It also bonds better to new metal. It also doesn't change color when exposed to UV.

If it is good enough for tugboats and battleship "Texas" then it should be ok on your keel. Hehe.

https://www.rustbullet.com/marine-applications

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
I have used por 15 on two of my sailboat keels. They bought look great. One was done 11 years ago. I alway take it down to the best metal then let it rust up for a week or two then fallow the Por 15 instructions. Then put interlux 2000 then bottom paint.