Poptop lift

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
I gather the parts to install a poptop lift, I have see instalation photos and I have a question, do you know if the CD kit installation involve moving the dogs? If that's the case how much?

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Looking at this picture I thought he moved the dog

Courtesy of Christopher Jim I think

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
LOL I was talking about the "hatch dogs" as you can see English is not my primary language :banghead:

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Hey Chilean...didnt your poptop already have lifts installed? Just curious.

P.S...Dogs have many meanings in all languages. :)

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
No, my poptop doesn't have the gas pressurized struts to lift it, just big man power.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
So not to be the negative nell here but why do you need a power assist on the pop Top? It is not generally up when sailing and is relitevly easy to lift in comparison to the other things you do to set up the boat like raise the mast. I have used power jacks on fiberglass wind turbine tops that need to open to work on them and found the jacks more trouble than there worth. They need additional maintenance and when they fail the top will be stuck closed as there is no manual bypass.

It's your boat so do what works for I am just trying to understand.

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
I'm 6' and 3" tall and my wife is 5' and 11", and I just love to work on the boat, fix things, improvements, etc while on the dock, so the extra head space is a welcome adition, my boat didn't came with the front hatch so the extra air in the cabin is also a welcome adition, opening the hatch is tricky and heavy, so the help on the opening is welcome too and we don't open the poptop as often because of the weight, with this mod I'm sure we will be opening it much more and my boat sits on my lake house, so it is allways rigged, no need to put the mast, just take the sails covers and put it on the lake. And the most important thing is that my wife didn't like much the idea of buying the boat until she looked at one photo of a catalina 22 with the poptop open and she told me "wow, wow, now that is cool!!" (she is allway so technical:biggrin:) and she is unable to lift the poptop by her self, so that is welcome too.

Mar 19, 2014
Catalina 22 Duluth
Hey JK! When I arrived in Santiago, 1989, I quickly bought a Laser, took a dunk in Algarrobo (cold, not fun) and traded my sailing waters to Rapel. Long history...kept traveling, bought a Morgan 30 and lived in Cape Canaveral...then Iraq, Afghanistan...moved to Atlanta 2006...now have a Hunter 27C on Lake Lanier...wife wants to move back to Providencia, near kids and grandkids...property at U$4000/sqm (U$370/sqft!!!)...still looking...
How's Rapel? Have photos? Please? Any club or marina with slips?

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Hey JK! When I arrived in Santiago, 1989, I quickly bought a Laser, took a dunk in Algarrobo (cold, not fun) and traded my sailing waters to Rapel. Long history...kept traveling, bought a Morgan 30 and lived in Cape Canaveral...then Iraq, Afghanistan...moved to Atlanta 2006...now have a Hunter 27C on Lake Lanier...wife wants to move back to Providencia, near kids and grandkids...property at U$4000/sqm (U$370/sqft!!!)...still looking...
How's Rapel? Have photos? Please? Any club or marina with slips?
Hi Michael, moving a lot eh! us dollars are going down vs Chilean Pesos, from 660 CLP per dolar to 600 today, in two months, Providencia is very nice and there is a real state boom, but you can buy in the lake!!, Rapel is very nice this time of the year, the water level is assured for the season from september to march, there are a few marinas, they are good to keep the boats in a slip or anchored in the water. Hope you can come back and reunite the family!!
I have a very good friend from California who lives here in Santiago, and I always tell him that we were born misplaced, he loves Chilean lifestyle, buys German cars and drinks chilean wine, hear electronic music, I like the US lifestyle, drink Miller, drive a Ford and hear country music! he es a bad american!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
This is a good marina, it is call Marina Pintue UC
20170423_141232.jpg

And a few pictures of the lake while sailing with my wife's brother and a friend (owner of a sailing school in Rapel)
20170127_204122.jpg

Attachments

Mar 19, 2014
Catalina 22 Duluth
Thank you JK!.
Full disclosure: we are originally from Argentina.
We were in Santiago in January, yes, horrified by the prices!
About my Catalina 22: It was the old model, no pop-top. I had it at home for a year, then we spent ONE night at the marina...next week we bought the Hunter 27...and looking for a bigger (but cheap) one.
The C22 is a beautiful boat though, sails well, motors well, and didn't need a dinghy!

Apr 19, 2010
S2 9.2C Lincoln, NE
I installed the pop top kit on my 1982 Catalina 22 and it was one of the best modifications I made to the boat. Highly recommend it. I don't remember any requirements to move the dogs. The CD tech folks could tell you for sure.

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Thanks jrussnogle, I didn't buy the kit from CD as the shipping will be too much, so I bought the gas pressurized struts here in Chile.
Muy bien MichaelC un trotamundos por cierto!!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My lift kit was installed by a previous-previous-owner, but the dogs were not moved as far as I can see.

I've had a C22 with and without the lift kit. It's a nice improvement, and could save someone's fingers from a lot of pain if the hatch ever came loose and fell at a bad moment. I like it. My only complaint with it is that the plastic end-pieces on the gas struts wear out fairly regularly. CD sells replacement end-pieces at a reasonable price, although the last time I looked, they were not listed on the website. I had to call and ask for them specifically. I keep several on board now.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
"Drinks Miller, drives a Ford and listens to country music..." You'd get along just fine here with me in Alabama. I also installed the lift kit from Catalina Direct on my 1986 boat and although I don't use it much, 'm sure glad to have it when I do. I also don't remember having to move anything to mount the lifting struts but I do remember a lot of sweating over drilling the holes in the boat in the right places.