Pop-top hatch dog issue

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I'm having an issue where the bottom clasp of the forward starboard hatch dog on my 1987 is flexing significantly upward under load, when the pop-top is dogged down. This would be the "U" shaped bronze fitting that the plastic knob tightens against. The photo below does not show it under tension, but it flexes upward when tightened. (I apologize about the rotation, the photo keeps flipping when I add it to the post)
upload_2018-9-30_9-16-20.jpeg

I've backed the screws out, and they are only about 1/4" deep, after they clear the fitting itself. Does anyone happen to know what the construction layup is, just inside of the vertical vinyl trim that lines the pop-top circumference? If there is a plywood core just inside the vinyl trim, I'd assume mine is likely rotted in that area. The other 3 hatch dogs are solid, and trying to judge from the top of the cabin deck, looking down, it's not obvious that any plywood coring would actually butt up against the inside to the vinyl trim, but I really have no idea.

Already having a project list a mile long, I'm trying to avoid removing and re-attaching all the vinyl trim, support poles and fittings right now to explore fully. As a quick fix, I was considering injecting some epoxy through the screw holes of the bottom hatch-dog fitting, and seeing if that has any effect, along with some longer screws.

Has anyone ever removed the vertical vinyl trim, surrounding the pop-top cut-out, to see what the construction layup is just inside of the vinyl trim itself? Thanks for any tips-

Attachments

Last edited:

jberc

Dec 27, 2018
Catalina 22 13963 Lake of the Ozarks, MO
My 1987 has a similar situation which I planned to address in spring. I'm a little apprehensive to just expand the length or width of the screw and risk causing more damage for a marginal improvement, especially if the first 1/4" is not ever going to provide any "grab"; seems like you are just asking to break the next 1/4". Online I have found non-marine suggestions using toothpicks and glue to fill and essentially re-bed the screw holes allowing the screw more material to press against for rigidity. That seemed like the best route to try, at least, at first. Anyways, if you find a solution please let me know.

Apr 11, 2017
I think I have mine straightened out. I wound up injecting some epoxy into the original screw hole (then taping it shut, and let harden), then re-drilled and used about a 3/4" long screw (as I recall..) to replace it. About 1/2" in, I hit something very solid, and just guessing, I have the sense it is vertical fiberglass of some sort. It was VERY tight screwing the new screw through whatever I hit, but it's now as solid as a rock, and no flex in "U" shaped bronze fitting at all.

You might try shooting some epoxy into the hole, and then replacing with a 5/8" screw. That's what I'd do, knowing what I know now. Good luck with it--

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
So Just out of curiosity as I have the same issue on my 87 did you remove the vinyl cover all the way around or just leave it? I may try and tackle this in the spring.

Apr 11, 2017
So Just out of curiosity as I have the same issue on my 87 did you remove the vinyl cover all the way around or just leave it? I may try and tackle this in the spring.
I just left the vinyl cover as is. As all of us with 87's are running into the same issue, I'm thinking the original screws are just a tad too short, and over time, something is giving in. If I had the time, I think removing the vinyl and seeing what the layup behind is would definitely be the smartest move, but it's a fair amount of work looking at it, and it could be tricky getting it all back together again without creating more problems with stripped screw holes, etc. I had good luck with just shooting epoxy into the screw hole, and using a somewhat larger screw. There seems to be some solid fiberglass just beyond the depth of the original screw holes, but it's tough screwing into it if the re-drilled holes are too tight. I can't recall the exact length of screw I used, but I'd try backing the original screws out, and going about 1/4" longer when re-seating new screws. Don't go too long or wider with the new screws, or it's a real bear getting them all the way in. I did this project in the midst of about 30 others, so I wasn't making it much of an academic exercise. I was pleased that it wound up very solid though, whatever I did... If anyone else learns more about what's actually back there behind the vinyl, please fill us in. Good luck--

Last edited: