Pop Top Cover 1988 Mac 26D

Status
Not open for further replies.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
John -I am onboard with what Sum said:("John I think it is reasonable that when your current material is gone or you have completed these orders that a price increase is reasonable. I don't know what the pop-tops cost way back when the boats were new, but even $300-$400 for material and labor seems way fair to me, especially with a few additions to them.")
Please check your email for new info.

Bob

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
Sum.Thanks for the photos. That is exactly what I'm going to do. I will add a skirt and anchor it as you have. I will also add a two inch strip by length needed to the existing fasteners on the cover to reach the deck ones so that the cover is well anchored.

Not much to making those changes. ,
I have done some sewing over the years and we have an old (60 years or so) Singer machine.

Another problem solved by this forum thanks

Mic is it possible that the way you have the struts installed that the pop-top is going up higher than it normally would when attached to the mast?
No Sum, the original PT struts are still installed and as yet I haven't got the gas assisting ones attached. Will post a photo after I retry the cover this morning. Had it in the house all night to warm, Will have to be quick as it is 5 below.
Mic

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
....I have done some sewing over the years and we have an old (60 years or so) Singer machine....
Ruth did all of the pop-top...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-2.html

... and more with a Singer 99 that...

...we bought on e-bay. They have the power to punch through a lot of material. The only thing they have missing is a true walking foot, but still you can get anything done with one.

We've been doing so much that we moved up to a Sailrite sewing machine that is a dream, but the Singer will get the job done. We had considered selling the Singer, but are going to hold onto it.

Take pictures and post them. Sounds like MacGregor was a little cheaper than normal when it came time to buy the material for the cover you have. Even if it was long enough it still needed the flaps. We started with just the outside, but added to the inside and those ties. Now it stays down on the sides in 30+ mph winds. Sometimes in really high winds the sides, even with the outside flaps, would still rise due to the difference in pressure inside and outside the cabin, so my recommendation is to put them on both sides while you are at it.

Hey I almost felt sorry for you with the 5 below comment until I remembered that was probably 5 below in centigrade which is only 23 deg Fahrenheit. I think it has already been 21 here a couple nights ago and it is suppose to be 20 with snow Monday :cry:.

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
View attachment 45119View attachment 45119
think it has already been 21 here a couple nights ago and it is suppose to be 20 with snow Monday :cry:.
Keep it, I'm not totally ready. Temperature is the only metric I speak don't quote me meters etc.

Never thought of a double flap thats a good idea.

The boat had a layer of dew ice I'm waiting for the sun to come over the hill. We will also get snow within a week or so, Hopfully not as deep as you get.

Don't know how to embed photos in the main posting but here are a few just taken in the attachments.

Thank you for the feed back I will definately have a try with our Singer.

You won't be getting post pictures of my sewing.

Thanks
Mic

Attachments

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Sum I have modified more than one pop top due to shrinkage. You know that Roger M selected the best naugahyde, but in all fairness, it has been some time since they were sewn.

I always leave my PTCs very full to allow for shrinkage, even Sunbrella and acrylics will shrink over time.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sum I have modified more than one pop top due to shrinkage. You know that Roger M selected the best naugahyde, but in all fairness, it has been some time since they were sewn.

I always leave my PTCs very full to allow for shrinkage, even Sunbrella and acrylics will shrink over time.

Yep it definitely shrank or the boat grew ;), maybe it is a Mac 26 1/2 classic now :),

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009

I like this top and extensions for the 26.
Yep that is a nice enclosure. I saw it a couple years ago. It takes care of the problem of the back of the pop-top cover slanting the wrong way on the aft end on a S or D.

Now that we are a little better designing and making with the sewing machine that might be something that we do as an add-on to the present cover.

One thing I like about the present one is that we can get it up or down in just a minute or two, since we use it most nights. The one above would make a nice addition if it was raining. So far in about 150 nights out I think it has only rained maybe 6-8 days. We have been lucky there. If we sailed a lot in the east or especially in the NW more coverage options would be great.

We put in a ton of time on the full cabin/cockpit bug enclosure and then only used it one night as we just didn't have a bug problem in Florida while we were there. We are going to also make a full bug enclosure for the Endeavour as soon or later we will run into bugs down there,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
John, it looks like I was too late with my email - no response.

Any chance you could post your drawings for the fabric templates you use for the 26D/26S pop top?

My wife likes to sew, I think this might be a project we could tackle..

The boom vang on the 26S is in the way of putting the pop top up so Ive somewhat hesitated on the pop top cover because of the hassle of removing the boom vang each time you put the pop top up. The PO put on a very nice (and it must have been expensive) self jibing traveler and I’ve noticed that 95% of the time I don’t even bother to tighten the vang - just use the traveler to set the sail shape. So.. am liking the idea of the pop top cover more and more and just stashing the vang in the boat for the rare time I need it.

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
Would a regular sewing machine work?
I have the original PTC for my S, but it's kinda heavy and no screens.
One made out of sunbrella like the bimini, would be nice.
Can you sail with the extension? It looks like you couldn't.
PS- I don't own a vang, and the only time I sail with the top down is if water starts getting blown into the cabin. I rarely sail DDW because I don't like the sail riding on the rigging. So far it hasn't been a problem. Maybe a reduction in speed? I don't know.
Funny I wouldn't even think about sailing the dinghies without a vang.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Would a regular sewing machine work?
I have the original PTC for my S, but it's kinda heavy and no screens.
One made out of sunbrella like the bimini, would be nice.
Can you sail with the extension? It looks like you couldn't.
PS- I don't own a vang, and the only time I sail with the top down is if water starts getting blown into the cabin. I rarely sail DDW because I don't like the sail riding on the rigging. So far it hasn't been a problem. Maybe a reduction in speed? I don't know.
Funny I wouldn't even think about sailing the dinghies without a vang.
I don't see why we couldn't sail with the pop-top up, but we never do. We like the forward vision and don't really have a reason to have it up. We have a vang, but only put it on if we are running and then only if we remember :redface:. If we are running though we always use preventers for the safety aspect.

On the sewing machine, it takes a lot of force to get through the fabric. If it has steel gears I'd try it. If it has plastic gears and your wife might be upset if something breaks I don't think I'd try it. We have a nice sewing machine we got from my mom, but didn't use it. We bought the old singer and it worked and now have the LZ-1 from Sailrite. You might think you only have a couple layers to get through, but with a hemmed edge meeting a couple other hemmed edges you can end up with a lot of layers.

There was a big discussion on the main board here...

http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=135094

Good luck,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah,
Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Custom Pop Top Cover - WOW!!!

My new Custom Made Pop Top Cover for a MacGregor 26D just arrived!! WOW!!!! :dance:It looks GREAT out of the box!
Tomorrow I buy a $19 snap tool and install it on my boat this week.
Pictures to follow....

Thanks John:D

walt

Jun 1, 2007
r.oril, please post your pics, I would love to see them.

Ive been modifiying my rig setup to use the pop top - quick connect on the vang, etc. Im liking the pop top setup more and more - good camping RV mode with it up but more sailboat mode with it down.

John (oreana123), Im hoping your re-pricing the pop top cover so its worth your time to make.. Im still very interested in buying one from you but think I may need this in Feb (Havasu) so may have to act fairly soon to start making one myself if you are no longer making them.

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Please be patient as I am in Louisville Kentucky for avionics training on the Airbus A300 freighter. One more week and I can send this aircraft into bad weather for an autoland. Will resume making covers when I get back.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Understand..

I’m definitely interested...

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
Please be patient as I am in Louisville Kentucky for avionics training on the Airbus A300 freighter. One more week and I can send this aircraft into bad weather for an autoland. Will resume making covers when I get back.
We used to call them "scuds" after a well know missile that could be launched but no one knew where it would land.:eek:

Something akin mooring an X or M in a high wind or classic with the pop top up. (had to keep the thread in line)

Much prefer to work on Boeing better still, Macs.
Mic

Jan 8, 2011
Macgregor 26S San Diego
For those of you who have made your own pop top covers from scratch, where did you get the pattern? Did you just look at photos, and improvise? Or did you have an existing cover to copy?
I am fairly handy with a sewing machine and have made cockpit cushions, sail covers, and a tiller and motor cover. I didn't have any patterns, but they weren't complicated.
My next project is the pop top cover, but I don't know where to begin. I don't have a pattern or anything to copy.
I like the blue cover with the extension in the photo posted earlier. Does anyone have any more photos of it? I can't tell how the front or back looks. I could improvise but have no idea how it is put together.
Any help would be appreciated.
P.S. Am anxiously awaiting the photos from R. oril

Status
Not open for further replies.