PNW Cruisers

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Stu, you are absolutely correct. Bouncing around the islands without a firm agenda at a relaxed pace is exactly how it should be done. I've been doing just that for the last 8 or so years and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I could certainly do that again this summer and I'm sure it would be great.

But ... I want more, different, epic, bigger, extraordinary etc. This voyage I'm working out seems to be a next step in sailing experience, and I want to experience it. Keep in mind I fully acknowledge that there's a high likelihood the trip won't work out as planned due to weather, boat issues, or other issues. I accept this, and that's one of the reasons this route is attractive to me. If we have to change plans on the fly, no problem, plenty of cool harbor and island hopping to be done wherever we end up.

Also keep in mind that I'm a pretty damn good sailor, navigator, and current whisperer. My boat is rock solid, and I'm the definitive McGeyver when it comes to dealing with boat issues "out there". This really isn't some sort of death wish!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Also keep in mind that I'm a pretty damn good sailor, navigator, and current whisperer. My boat is rock solid, and I'm the definitive McGeyver when it comes to dealing with boat issues "out there". This really isn't some sort of death wish!
Always good to remember that some thought it was plain stupid to send our astronauts to the moon. Nothing ventured nothing gained, I say. Go for it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
This voyage I'm working out seems to be a next step in sailing experience, and I want to experience it.
I hear ya. I did something like that in August last year, bringing our boat up from San Francisco (I've posted the log here on this forum, too), day-after-day of anywhere from 5 or 6 to 13 hours. The 10, 11 and 13 hours days were brutal, but we made it. It's an interesting goal.
there's a high likelihood the trip won't work out as planned due to weather, boat issues, or other issues.
If there are any boat issues, sort 'em out now. NOW! :) We had none in 6 weeks, 800+ nm and 25+ stops. If there is anything in your mind that's questionable, fix it now. Other "issues" can crop up, but the boat shouldn't be one of 'em. Good luck.

This really isn't some sort of death wish!
Good attitude. Always helps...:)

some thought it was plain stupid to send our astronauts to the moon.
Ah, but we got Teflon and Tang! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Not while I'm on the boat.
Understood, just suggesting another source of information.

Dec 25, 2000
FWIW, the week of 2/20 and 4/10 become island cruising opportunities for us. So, if your schedules mesh, perhaps we will see you on the water. Coupeville, Hope Island, Skagit Island, Cypress Island, etc., are places we frequent, weather permitting.

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Terry, 2/25 is the Foul Weather Race from Anacortes to Friday Harbor. Most of the boats stay the night then sail back Sunday, that's what we're doing. Fun, low key race involving a number of cruising boats. If you're interested, register at the Anacortes Yacht Club website (I could use the company at the tail end of the fleet!). Even if you don't race, you could join us at Friday Harbor Saturday night.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I've considered Barkley Sound. Couple reasons I'm favoring Desolation Sound:

1. If we have to bag our plans to go all the way and choose to bounce around more locally for the week, it seems there's more/cooler stops through the Gulfs and along the Strait of Georgia than there is along San Juan de Fuca

2. I hear glorious things about Desolation, not as much about Barkley.

But ... I'm wide open here. Tell me some things about Barkley Sound and the Strait of San Juan de Fuca that would sway my thinking!
Given the choice, I would head for Barkley Sound. I enjoy Desolation in June when you can be the only boat in many anchorages. After the kids are out of school: not so much. Not that we are antisocial but we like our peace and quiet.
Mike

Dec 25, 2000
Given the choice, I would head for Barkley Sound. I enjoy Desolation in June when you can be the only boat in many anchorages. After the kids are out of school: not so much. Not that we are antisocial but we like our peace and quiet.
Mike
Hi Mike, our little Flotilla has trouble planning; they tend to shift like some shoals. First it was Barkley, now it seems the Broughtons. As we get closer to the season, perhaps we might decide, but no holding my breath here.:banghead:

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Mike, our little Flotilla has trouble planning; they tend to shift like some shoals. First it was Barkley, now it seems the Broughtons. As we get closer to the season, perhaps we might decide, but no holding my breath here.:banghead:
Broughtons are GREAT! As you get past Desolation the number of cruisers drops dramaticly and you get beauty all to yourself. I think the tidal rapids make people think twice about going. Last summer Bev and I took 4 months and went as far as Bella Coola/ Bella Bella. Great trip in an Ericson 28+. Have just bought a Beneteau First 38 and are looking to get up to Khutzeymateen Inlet this year and back on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Retirement is just GREAT!!!!

Dec 25, 2000
Broughtons are GREAT! As you get past Desolation the number of cruisers drops dramaticly and you get beauty all to yourself. I think the tidal rapids make people think twice about going. Last summer Bev and I took 4 months and went as far as Bella Coola/ Bella Bella. Great trip in an Ericson 28+. Have just bought a Beneteau First 38 and are looking to get up to Khutzeymateen Inlet this year and back on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Retirement is just GREAT!!!!
Agree Mike, I've been to the Broughtons a number of times, but one of our newer members has not, so together (five boats) we may go. In 2015 one of our other boaters and I spent two months sailing to Bay of Plenty up Laredo Inlet on Princess Royal Island looking for Spirit Bear. Bella Bella was one of our stopping points as was Ocean Falls, Klemtu, Namu and many other spots. Very remote country and primitive. Maybe you've watched my You Tube DVD, but if not here it is: http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/updated-spirit-bear-cruise-dvd-2015.177983/

Congrats on your new boat.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks Terry
Great video, thanks for that too! Nice to get the eagles to land on the solid part of the mast.... we saw so many bent parts on top of masts in Port Hardy....eagles there eat very well I think!

Jan 5, 2017
Thanks Terry
Thanks for the video too. Like the way you got the eagles to stand on the solid part of the mast. At Port Hardy we saw a few boat with bent instruments up there from some very well fed birds
Mike

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Mike
As it turns out, June is when I have targeted for this trip for the very reason you mention. Plus I think the winds are a little better in June than later in the summer.

Jan 5, 2017
Some days I feel so "old fashioned"! There is nothing like sitting on the hook with a cold one in hand and my Waggoners in the other. Relaxing trip planning! ( I have gottin' to the point of reading books on my Kindle though I was dragged kicking and screaming to get there.)